No announcement yet.

86 yard bow shot on a javelina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great shot! I think BeetleGUy was really just pointing out that Wanton waste was in play here and was truly trying to help the OP out. There was some others that chimed in that got their feelings hurt though.

Javelinas are in fact, not as important as Whitetail. Just like cats are in fact, not as important as dogs!
    Last edited by bcj jones; 01-22-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Bob Ballsr woulda recovered the thing

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
        Bob Ballsr woulda recovered the thing

Ol Bob is slipping ain't he!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I'd be a hypocrite if I said I make the same effort for a javi that I do for a deer. They often retreat to some nasty stuff, making tracking very difficult. I'll call a dog for most deer, but wouldn't consider doing so for a javi. I don't like risking my $25+ bullets (arrows) on javelina, so more often than not I don't shoot them. I'm pretty certain that the majority of people that shoot javelinas don't eat them, so most are guilty of "wonton waste" as defined by game laws.

I happen to think the game laws regarding javis are intentionally vague. As a native species, they are considered a "game animal", and I think they should be protected to avoid complete eradication. They are cool critters and an important part of the south Texas landscape (aesthetically). They are fun targets for the kids, especially when their numbers are high as on our ranch. But there are no tags or closed season for them and I don't get the feeling that game wardens will go out of their way to investigate whether the "bag limit" is exceeded or to prove "wonton waste."

I'm not sure any would admit it publicly, but I would be curious to get a South Texas GWs take on it.

Congrats on the nice shot. Sorry you weren't able to recover for the LDP.

Agreed. Shoot 40-50 of them and leave laying and the game wardens will probably want to have a talk. Failing to put in a “full” effort to track a bleeding one won’t likely raise an eyebrow unless they’re looking for a reason a person needs a ticket.

I let my boys shoot 1-2 a year but like you said, they’ve never made it into my ice chests.

They are cool unique animals but come
          On guys.. no one eats these things.
          Last edited by kyle1974; 01-22-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

This trend of long hunting shots is headed downhill... from killed and recovered to flinging arrows 86 yards and admitting to an intention waste game illegally... what's next?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
              They are cool unique animals but come
              On guys.. no one eats these things.
              I do.

I'm curious how you explain what you're doing to your kids.

Comment

Hey, you folks with an abundance of javi's, any chance i can bring my son out for a day or two? He's 10 and has been practicing with his bow a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                  I do.

I'm curious how you explain what you're doing to your kids.

I tell them they’re not worth a **** to eat but their numbers still need to be controlled. Packs of 25-30 animals are evidence of that.

We drag a lot of pigs and even more coyotes and jack rabbits off into the brush as well. Are you available for counseling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by kyle1974; 01-22-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Terrible shot man. You exceeded your effective ethical range to humanely kill the animal.

That is nothing to brag about.

Treat the game with respect.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                      I tell them they’re not worth a **** to eat but their numbers still need to be controlled. Packs of 25-30 animals are evidence of that.

We drag a lot of pigs and even more coyotes and jack rabbits off into the brush as well. Are you available for counseling?

So you're ok with teaching your kids to intentionally break the law?
                      Last edited by Phillip Fields; 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Fun little critters to bow hunt. I couldn't tell nothing from the video. You should have had a kill picture with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
                          Terrible shot man. You exceeded your effective ethical range to humanely kill the animal.

That is nothing to brag about.

Treat the game with respect.
                          Tbh has become full of candy asses

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            So you're ok with teaching your kids to intentionally break the law?

Only if we’re slamming back cold ones together. My 12 year old is a lightweight though. He gets 3 or 4 in him and he can’t aim straight at all so the javelinas are safe then.

Last edited by kyle1974; 01-22-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I lapped my scope rings

Comment

....over a javi??!

Comment

Working...
                                X