No announcement yet.

MLB ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banning the shift makes about as much sense as banning bump stocks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CMLambin View Post
      Bottom line is people want more offense and the game would benefit from eliminating certain egregious shifts. It would also benefit to have more well rounded hitters. Why not have both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Disclaimer:I have not read this entire thread so forgive me if this has been previously mentioned.

I know you are an ex-player and current coach, if i remember correctly. What would you consider an egregious shift?

Comment

Originally posted by CMLambin View Post
        How long would the fans keep showing up to watch someone who is 6’5” slap a single the other way and then get stranded at first because they can’t steal, followed by three strike outs because the pitchers are throwing, on average, harder then Nolan Ryan in his prime? Not very long. If a simple rule adjustment could make the game better and more enjoyable to watch, why be against it? Just because “it’s just the way it’s always been”? Sports evolve. NFL has added video review and NBA has banned certain defenses.

But baseball has remained , for the most part, unchanged. That’s one of the greatest things about the game. Baseball has a historical past and is more connected to the past than any other sport.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
          Banning the shifts is dumb.

Allowing the DH is dumb.

Pitchers hitting is not dumb. It would be taken more seriously if it was made to be taken more seriously.
          This!

Comment

Originally posted by sandbill View Post
            Do not ban the shift. Hitters need to spend more time working on ''hitting it where they ain't'. Bat control is a lost art.
            Yep. I'm against banning. Let 'em play ball.

Comment

I agree with others that say, don't ban the shift.

Hitters should learn to adapt. The shift creates wide open areas of the field that even a shallow flare or bunt would turn into a hit. Burn a defense a couple times and they will stop.

The shift is just a defensive strategy. I find it similar to a double team in other sports of an all out blitz in football. Bottom line, the same number of players are on the field. While the strategy may strengthen one area, it will weaken another.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                The shift is part of the scouting and strategy. If the player does not like it, learn to hit to the opposite field, or bunt down the open line. I think it is great. Do it until the player makes you stop it by adapting.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                  Disclaimer:I have not read this entire thread so forgive me if this has been previously mentioned.

I know you are an ex-player and current coach, if i remember correctly. What would you consider an egregious shift?

When the third basemen is playing in right field.

Comment

Working...
                  X