No announcement yet.

Youth Weekend Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking my 10yo son for his first chance to shoot a deer. He says he is ready this year. I'm excited about it.

Comment

Originally posted by fishinguy View Post
      Taking my 10yo son for his first chance to shoot a deer. He says he is ready this year. I'm excited about it.
      First deer? I'd be more excited then him! good luck to you guys!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m going but I’ll be alone. Not my weekend to have the kids. [emoji17]

But I’ll be looking here to see how everyone else’s kiddos do. Good luck and stay safe.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

I plan on taking my 9 year daughter out. We are looking for her 1st deer or pig. We are strictly bowhunting only place, but the land owner allows kids only to shoot guns.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
            I plan on taking my 9 year daughter out. We are looking for her 1st deer or pig. We are strictly bowhunting only place, but the land owner allows kids only to shoot guns.
            Good on the landowner, and good luck to you guys! The first one is always the most special!

Comment

What is a good year to take your child hunting? Took my son last year during regular season to just see how he would do and he did alright. Now he is 4 and he wants to kill every deer just not ready to put him behind a rifle until he is about 6/7 years old

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
                What is a good year to take your child hunting? Took my son last year during regular season to just see how he would do and he did alright. Now he is 4 and he wants to kill every deer just not ready to put him behind a rifle until he is about 6/7 years old

6/7 a good age. Mine if they are big enough to handle the gun and shoot it well then that determines when I take them. My oldest son was 7 and my youngest son will be 8 next year.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

I guess it's a personal decision. Mine started hunting when she was 7 about to turn 8.

Comment

Its hard to put an age on it. IMO ya gotta go by the kid. My son was 6 or 7 but hes also a December birthday. He'd been sitting in the stand for a couple years by then. He shot his first deer by himself last year at 14, tracked and found it before I got there.

I have a nephew who came to hunt with us last year at 16, he wasnt ready. However, he wasnt raised hunting and fishing like my son

Comment

Yeah i was thinking the same on age of course I plan on putting him behind a .22 to start him off with and gradually work his way up to a bigger caliber

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        Good luck to y'all Cody! Man I wish mine was 8 again!! Good times!

Thanks, time flies by doesn’t it.

Both her bucks are still around. A pics during late evenings on hand corn. We will see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I will be out with my oldest grandson for Missouri youth weekend. This will be his first hunt hopefully I can get him on a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                            I will be out with my oldest grandson for Missouri youth weekend. This will be his first hunt hopefully I can get him on a good one.
                            Good luck! Bet its gonna be chilly up there!

Comment

I like the 6-7 year range myself at earliest but like others said it's all up the individual kid and especially how comfortable they are with a gun or bow.
                              I've given my boys some milestones first to pass before they could shoot first deer.
                              Small game like squirrel and rabbit unassisted and then once they drop a hog and do everything right, can shoot a deer.
                              My oldest was 10, my middle had gotten everything by 6, so at 7 he got to shoot his first deer. My youngest is 6 and is wanting to shoot a pig but I'm giving mom the honor of taking him so it's taking a little longer. He's shot at 2, hit 1 but hasn't recovered yet.

Comment

Its very individualistic. My daughter is 13 now. She's been tagging along with me since she was 3 or 4. She learned to shoot very early and slowly progressed from a BB gun to a 223. I taught her all the fundamentals along the way and she took her first big game animal at 9.
                                She always had the desire to shoot a deer but I wanted her to pay her dues first.

Comment

Working...
                                X