New F150 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
    Main problem I see is emissions regs in the US.

There are plenty of manufacturers that have been and continue to put diesel engines in cars and SUV's in Europe. These vehicles simply aren't made available to be sold in the US. Heck, many of them achieve higher HP, more torque and better MPG as compared to their gasoline counterparts.

Mercedes, Audi and BMW all make diesel powered SUV's that are sold outside the US. Heck, Mercedes has been putting a diesel engine in cars for decades now.

I think the idea of a diesel in a half-ton is more in obtaining better gas mileage while maintaining or exceeding HP and torque as compared to the equivalent gasoline powered V-8.
    Yep. I have a Suzuki, I commute back and forth to Dallas in. I average about 28 mpg depending on how many tools I have in it. Same car in India, gets 52mpg, and the diesel version, is pushing 70mpg.
    Can you imagine the dent in big oils pocket, if they allowed that over here

Comment

Diesel. 22. Mpg. $3.19 gallon. 200 mile trip. Cost. $29.00.
      Gas. 15. Mpg. $2.69 gallon 200 mile trip. Cost. $35.87.
      Diesel trucks are at least $10,000 more than gas. Plus oil changes are 3 x cost of gas. Everything about a diesel cost more. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        They do not get the same flag hours on warranty work, manufacturers try to keep repair labor cost at a minimum. Thats why they were complaining. Sometimes warranty work does not pay so good, ask any commission tech what he thinks about warranty work and they dont think much of it. Most prefer CP(customer pay) work and the incentive to work faster and smarter kicks in.
        At 150k miles customers will be paying

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          Is it really 70k for a 1/2 ton?

I think the deal with the 2 timing belts is a bad design, if a belt breaks it would set the timing off on the engine and bend valves or rocker arm.

This one is sitting at the local dealer. Granted it’s fully loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
            Are delete kits available for tractors like they are for trucks? People called me crazy when I deleted mine when my truck was new with only 6k miles on it but it was the best decision I ever made.
            until you try to sell it or the eventual regulation that wont allow you to pass inspection without it. Since you know it's federally illegal to modify a diesel's exhaust system.

Comment

Ram eco gets 30 plus MPG . I have a few customers with them . For towing small RV under 25 foot or a small enclosed trailer or a flat bed with toys on it they do very well from what I am told I own a 6.7 cummins so you know where I stand .

I think the Eco is claimed to 9000 towing . which as well all know is a max rating not what I would want to tow with it every day .

Diesel respond extremely well to a tuner and at the twist of a dial you can ramp it up with ease .

Comment

As I do agree diesel half ton technology is not there yet, this below is false. Oil is cheap for a diesel, you dont need to run that high dollar synthetic...rotella or equal SAE works just fine.

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                Diesel. 22. Mpg. $3.19 gallon. 200 mile trip. Cost. $29.00.
                Gas. 15. Mpg. $2.69 gallon 200 mile trip. Cost. $35.87.
                Diesel trucks are at least $10,000 more than gas. Plus oil changes are 3 x cost of gas. Everything about a diesel cost more. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  As I do agree diesel half ton technology is not there yet, this below is false. Oil is cheap for a diesel, you dont need to run that high dollar synthetic...rotella or equal SAE works just fine.
                  So maintence on gas and diesels cost the same?

Comment

68k for a 1/2 ton is pretty high. Plus this is a first gen motor, so we know its gonna have issues. I think I like my 3/4 ton gasser just fine

Comment

It'll be like 3/4 tons. Maintenance cost won't be that much different. Fuel cost won't be that much different. Y'all are missing the picture. Now you can have the attitude of a coal roller without the pesky payload and towing capacity!

Comment

I'd venture to guess it comes out pretty equal when you see cummins recommendations for oil change is 10-15,000 miles. If you want to get crazy, run synthetic in that cummins with a better filtration system, can go a long time and just swap the filter. Now, I have no idea what these half tons intervals are, purely basing this off a cummins I once owned.

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        So maintence on gas and diesels cost the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                          Yep. Stupid to put a diesel in a VW rabbit also. What are you going to pull with that thing? Where would you mount the gooseneck? Wait a minute...... I bet that guy getting 60mpg doesnt care about pulling anything.

Hoggslayer
                          Not sure what putting a diesel in a rabbit to get good MPG has to do with putting a diesel in a truck to pull a little more weight. If the sole reason to put a diesel in a truck is to get good MPG's, you defeat the purpose of a truck in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            Not sure what putting a diesel in a rabbit to get good MPG has to do with putting a diesel in a truck to pull a little more weight. If the sole reason to put a diesel in a truck is to get good MPG's, you defeat the purpose of a truck in the first place.
                            You are assuming trucks are only made to pull. Maybe some guys just haul a 4 wheeler. Are they allowed to own trucks also. I have a 7.3L and I haven't pulled anything in a while. Guess I need to just sell it and ride the bus.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

I wonder just how much could a half ton pull if it had a diesel motor sized to max out the engine compartment. But then you probably end up with a truck that can pull but can’t stop or that isn’t big enough to haul the payload safely

Comment

9000 is the rating well a bit over that but . I can say in the Ram eco they pull much better than a gas truck like a 6.2 LS better MPG pulling as well . Its some where in the middle of a 3/4 ton rougher riding gas vs full tilt big diesel .

1/2 truck that can get great MPG towing and ride nice its a fit for some .

Comment

Working...
                                X