No announcement yet.

New F150 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I fail to see the advantage of a 1/2 diesel? Why not just get a gas truck?

Comment

Guess they can just pull the cab off, to replace the belt, like they do, when they do major work on the F250 diesels. SMDH

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        They do not get the same flag hours on warranty work, manufacturers try to keep repair labor cost at a minimum. Thats why they were complaining. Sometimes warranty work does not pay so good, ask any commission tech what he thinks about warranty work and they dont think much of it. Most prefer CP(customer pay) work and the incentive to work faster and smarter kicks in.
        At 150k, it won't be warranty work. Shops will be plenty happy to service them.

Comment

From the pictures I have seen, timing belt is on the front of the motor??

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          The techs at the Ford dealership said a Ford engineer brought in the new F150 3.0 V6 Powerstroke last week. Said the motor weighs 620 pounds and it has a timing belt in the back of the motor that will need replaced every 150,000 miles.

250 hp, 10 speed transmission with 3:73 diff, but a 4:10 ratio would be optional. Supposed to compete with new GM diesel 1/2 ton.

The techs were already complaining about the timing belt in the back of the motor. They aint making anything easy to work on.

Comment

Why is Ford even bothering with diesel? It turns out that there is a not insignificant share of customers who want a better combination of towing capability and fuel economy. Ford expects the diesel F-150 to be the most fuel efficient version yet of America's top-selling vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
              I did not see the truck, but they said it was on the back of the motor with no access to it. It gets 2 mpg better than a 5.0 according to what the engineer said. That engine picture you show is different than what they showed me.
              Last edited by Radar; 08-29-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                At 150k, it won't be warranty work. Shops will be plenty happy to service them.
                I think they were implying that any warranty work done on the truck will be a pain because of the design. No access to the back of the motor for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  Loving my 7.3L more every day.
                  97 OBS baby

Comment

That photo sure seems to suggest the front of the motor. Unless the crank somehow runs through that pulley.

I still wouldn't buy the first gen. Wait til everyone else works out the kinks.

Edit: Just saw a video. Motor has belts on the front and rear of the engine. What a PITA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-qEcUH-_k
                    Last edited by WItoTX; 08-29-2018, 02:26 PM. Reason: .

Comment

This is just stupid having a rear belt, so your gonna have to pull the motor.

That photo sure seems to suggest the front of the motor. Unless the crank somehow runs through that pulley.

I still wouldn't buy the first gen. Wait til everyone else works out the kinks.

Edit: Just saw a video. Motor has belts on the front and rear of the engine. What a PITA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-qEcUH-_k

Comment

This is just stupid having a rear belt, so your gonna have to pull the motor.
                        Personally I think its stupid to put a diesel in a half ton anyways. You can maybe tow a bunch of weight, but I have pulled a 26' trailer that weighted ~6000 lbs before with my previous half ton, and it was horrible. Too light, got blown around a lot, and not enough power.

Comment

the whole idea of the half ton diesel is better MPG, I thought these motor was to set the 30 MPG mark in a Half ton...

Comment

Personally I think its stupid to put a diesel in a half ton anyways. You can maybe tow a bunch of weight, but I have pulled a 26' trailer that weighted ~6000 lbs before with my previous half ton, and it was horrible. Too light, got blown around a lot, and not enough power.
                            Yep. Stupid to put a diesel in a VW rabbit also. What are you going to pull with that thing? Where would you mount the gooseneck? Wait a minute...... I bet that guy getting 60mpg doesnt care about pulling anything.

Hoggslayer

Comment

I like the half ton diesel options coming out by manufacturers and them competing with each other in that market but gheez. how expensive are half tons going to be? They're what almost $65k now on the stickers! before too long were going to finance trucks like we do houses. 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                                Leave it to Ford to take a different path from tried and true diesel engines and experiment at the cost of consumers.
                                It’s called innovation. Without it, we would still be riding horses

Comment

Working...
                                X