Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fredericksburg to become home to $78 million Seven Hills Resort and Conference Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$78 million? Must be a small convention center. Cy fair isd spent almost $90 million on a football field and converence center. No hotel, no restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
      It's also what generally kills that "small town" feel that has become an integral part of its identity. I admit, it is a fine line to toe
      I suppose it is each persons individual perception, but to me the "small town feel" has been LONG gone from Fredericksburg. They make their money when there are people in town, so complaining about more people being in town due to having some additional space to sleep at night seems very contradictory to me. A 22 acre 78 Mill project is really not that HUGE of a resort project so I doubt they are going to cram enough stuff for tourists to do in that $78 mill project that it takes away from the town.

Comment

Texas has extremely conservative and pro-business policies.
        It is extremely easy to get permits and build in Texas. There are few restrictions like environmental or zoning. People aren’t moving to Texas because they love the heat. They are moving here because there are tons of jobs.

Unfortunately, you either get a conservative government and lots of development and migration here or you get a liberal government and stagnant growth.
        Just the way it is.
        I wish we could be conservative, but also slow our growth to a reaonsable level.
        What’s going to happen is lots of liberals will move here because there are jobs. They will vote for liberal leaders who will over-regulate business and kill growth and then people will migrate form Texas to the next pro-business spot and Texas will become the next California or Michigan. This make take generations to happen, but it is the way that things cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
          I suppose it is each persons individual perception, but to me the "small town feel" has been LONG gone from Fredericksburg. They make their money when there are people in town, so complaining about more people being in town due to having some additional space to sleep at night seems very contradictory to me. A 22 acre 78 Mill project is really not that HUGE of a resort project so I doubt they are going to cram enough stuff for tourists to do in that $78 mill project that it takes away from the town.
          You're absolutely right...Fredericksburg is by no stretch a small town anymore. My argument was simply that it once was, and that was part of the appeal that made it such a popular tourist destination. I go through Fredericksburg almost every week on my way to my property and every time I do it seems there is more building going on.

While I also agree that a $78M complex is not a huge project, when stacked against all the other big chain hotels, resorts, wineries, and B&Bs going into Fredericksburg its just further compounds the issue.

I will say the city planners are going to have to do something about main street and pretty quick. One remnant of that "small town feel" that needs to go is the parking on Main Street. It's 2 lanes each way but 1 of those is generally obstructed by one long bed truck after another sticking out into the lane effectively make it 1 lane each way. Traffic is getting worse and worse going through there...so much so I tend to bypass it altogether by going down San Antonio street.
          Last edited by JonBoy; 08-02-2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I think it will be ok.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fredricksburg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	24547553

Could be worse. It could be a prison.

Comment

It ain't the only one either... they're pushing dirt on a new resort and spa on 16 just north of town. Same folks that own Ojo Caliente in NM.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                I wish we could be conservative, but also slow our growth to a reaonsable level.
                Wish on, Peter Pan... those two things are antithetical.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                  I think it will be ok.

[ATTACH]918210[/ATTACH]

Could be worse. It could be a prison.
                  A nice peaceful drive through the hill country

Click image for larger version

Name:	fred.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	24547554

Comment

I got through Fredericksburg ever other week sometimes twice a week. . That town is always booming even on a bad day. There is a shop that sells seasonings that I like I hate running low and having to stop in there. I may have to park 3 blocks down to get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                      You're absolutely right...Fredericksburg is by no stretch a small town anymore. My argument was simply that it once was, and that was part of the appeal that made it such a popular tourist destination. I go through Fredericksburg almost every week on my way to my property and every time I do it seems there is more building going on.

While I also agree that a $78M complex is not a huge project, when stacked against all the other big chain hotels, resorts, wineries, and B&Bs going into Fredericksburg its just further compounds the issue.

I will say the city planners are going to have to do something about main street and pretty quick. One remnant of that "small town feel" that needs to go is the parking on Main Street. It's 2 lanes each way but 1 of those is generally obstructed by one long bed truck after another sticking out into the lane effectively make it 1 lane each way. Traffic is getting worse and worse going through there...so much so I tend to bypass it altogether by going down San Antonio street.
                      I am with you on that - I have always wondered why the town didn't create 2-3 large parking areas a block off of main st and restrict parking along main street (at least from the Hwy 16 S turnoff to the Hwy 87 S turnoff). It would help traffic tremendously, but then again traffic is their economy so why would they want to speed traffic up going down main street.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                        I am with you on that - I have always wondered why the town didn't create 2-3 large parking areas a block off of main st and restrict parking along main street (at least from the Hwy 16 S turnoff to the Hwy 87 S turnoff). It would help traffic tremendously, but then again traffic is their economy so why would they want to speed traffic up going down main street.
                        I can't speak to traffic speed but I've seen WAY too many people...not cars...people almost get hit as they walk out into Main Street to stop traffic so their driver can back out of their space.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                          I, for one, am quite looking forward to visiting Fredricksburg's newest resident...

[ATTACH]918202[/ATTACH]
                          I can see why

As a small town boy I hate seeing stuff like this built in or near small towns. It ruins the small town feel, but Fredericksburg lost that a long time ago when they figured out grapes grow great in the Hill Country.

Comment

Some of yall are really dramatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                              Some of yall are really dramatic.
                              30 days until dove season and 58 days until bow season, what do you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                                Fredericksburg has turned in to an overpriced, traffic congested, souvenir shop. Especially on the weekends. I avoid it if at all possible. I travel through there quite a bit, and always take the long south side short cut around it.

I need to find that long shortcut. Go through San Marcos, Blanco, luchenbauch then Fredricksburg. Last one ruins my drive to Junction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X