New Hagerman draw procedure in 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
    If the BH ed requirement goes, the "H" will really be ruined.
    Yep they will all ruin the county Drawing odds are about to go to sh#t.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
      I'm sorry that you think taking an online class and then going out and shoot ing paper targets or three D targets make you a better hunter. I've seen guys who could shoot the bulls eye out of a paper target. But when he tried pulling back on a real wild animal he would get so excited he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I've been bow hunting since I was 14 years old compatiancies are learned with practice and real world experiences . And even then some bowhunters will never be great bowhunters. This thinking is like saying that a doctor with a deplorable from the university of Jamaca makes him a better doctor just because he has a deplomia and paid them a large sum of money to receive said deplomia .
      We will lose a lot Hag has always run a quality place to bowhunt. As others have said we will have to wait a see what changes when TPWD makes when they takemover in 2019.
      Restating what I first said if the shooting portion of the test was given in all parts of Texas I would have no problem taking this class, I just can't afford to run half way across Texas to complete the hands on portion of the test.
      Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
      I think you missed the part where i said having BH ed doesn't automatically make you a better hunter/archer and that not having the class means you aren't a good hunter/archer

It just means the casual guys who don't care enough to take a course or shoot the qualifier are excluded. And that makes the hunt better for a variety of reasons I've already mentioned.

And, generally speaking, a doctor with a diploma from ANYWHERE is GENERALLY better than a doctor without one
      justin is right, myself and several buddies i know have never put in solely because we either didnt have the time or didnt want to spend the time or never could find the time to go take the course. but now....

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        You have a slightly skewed view point of what the bow hunter ed is. I had successfully bowhunted for two decades before I took the course. I took the course just to take it. I've taken hunter ed courses in two states. Sat through two more with my boys. The bow hunter ed was nothing special as car as information. Just the 3D shoot at the end and that was a gravy test.
        I know others who are die hard bow hunters, here, out of state and around the world who have it but would never consider applying for H.
        Heck most of the bowhunters I know don't even get on hunting forums.
        The "ruining" of draw hunting is the fact that just the sheer numbers of people moving here has increased and demand for places to hunt with that. It's the same thing that drives lease prices up and it won't ever get better. As pointed out social media and on line information makes it easy for anyone to see it, apply and get the course regardless.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
        again, its not that its difficult or makes anyone a better hunter, its just time consuming and inconvenient for some so they never do it.

why would someone "never consider applying?" is applying for a draw hunt akin to wearing walmart camo or something?

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          Yep they will all ruin the county Drawing odds are about to go to sh#t.
          Yeah, then new people applying will complain about the "H" not being a gun hunt, and we will have to have a big meeting like a few years back...

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            justin is right, myself and several buddies i know have never put in solely because we either didnt have the time or didnt want to spend the time or never could find the time to go take the course. but now....
            But now it will take 10-15 years to draw, maybe more instead of being guaranteed to draw every 3 or 4 years. The former is not better than the latter IMO. Draw odds for the TPWD system has gone to pot since they went online, I've got double digit points for multiple categories and still not drawn, been applying for almost 20 years and still haven't drawn a buck rifle hunt.

Comment

My hunting partner and I put in for Hagerman for the first time last year. I guess that was pointless, since we'll only have one point going into this season and it's likely going to be statistically nearly impossible to get drawn here after next season.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                again, its not that its difficult or makes anyone a better hunter, its just time consuming and inconvenient for some so they never do it.

why would someone "never consider applying?" is applying for a draw hunt akin to wearing walmart camo or something?
                Lol no sir. I just have a good lease and a small place in Missouri to hunt. Walking into a place I'm unfamiliar with and hunting it is what I did when I was young on Type 2 hunting property in east Texas.
                I'm getting older, softer and lazier.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  But now it will take 10-15 years to draw, maybe more instead of being guaranteed to draw every 3 or 4 years. The former is not better than the latter IMO. Draw odds for the TPWD system has gone to pot since they went online, I've got double digit points for multiple categories and still not drawn, been applying for almost 20 years and still haven't drawn a buck rifle hunt.
                  i hear ya, i wish it would stay how it is actually, i like seeing the big bucks from TBH'ers every year and really dont have the time to get up there and scout/hunt if i drew anyway.

i threw my achery deer 3 points at the chap this year just hoping for another point and drew the stupid thing, then couldnt take off to go.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    Lol no sir. I just have a good lease and a small place in Missouri to hunt. Walking into a place I'm unfamiliar with and hunting it is what I did when I was young on Type 2 hunting property in east Texas.
                    I'm getting older, softer and lazier.

understood. i have hunted NW missouri the last 3 years the week of halloween and havent seen anything that made me pick up my bow, i am skipping the trip this year.

hope you have had better luck.

Comment

Yeas that's where our place is. Blue tongue has devastated the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
                        My hunting partner and I put in for Hagerman for the first time last year. I guess that was pointless, since we'll only have one point going into this season and it's likely going to be statistically nearly impossible to get drawn here after next season.
                        The first time I put in for it in 2008 I was drawn. You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                          Yeah, then new people applying will complain about the "H" not being a gun hunt, and we will have to have a big meeting like a few years back...
                          And I will be at that meeting as well.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                            Grayson county is archery only for deer, so that may supersede the H specific discussion....

Comment

Originally posted by boomerball View Post
                              Grayson county is archery only for deer, so that may supersede the H specific discussion....
                              That's what a few people were trying to get changed a few years ago. They wanted Grayson to be a gun county. Since there are deer coming out of the "H" on to adjacent land, it would have been a slaughter, IMO. That TPWD even entertained the idea back then was ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullydog View Post
                                And I will be at that meeting as well.
                                Meeting?

Comment

Working...
                                X