New Hagerman draw procedure in 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
    I think you missed the part where i said having BH ed doesn't automatically make you a better hunter/archer and that not having the class means you aren't a good hunter/archer

It just means the casual guys who don't care enough to take a course or shoot the qualifier are excluded. And that makes the hunt better for a variety of reasons I've already mentioned.

And, generally speaking, a doctor with a diploma from ANYWHERE is GENERALLY better than a doctor without one
    Your assessment is spot on. I couldn't follow the diploma (spelled correctly) guy's reasoning at all.

If you have to put forth effort for something it cuts wheat from chaff. If it takes you "out of town" so be it. You would be going out of town to hunt anyway for the H, most do. For my part, I was excited to take the course. I've been hunting for 31 years, since age 6, bowhunting for the last 15. Lots of states require a bowhunter ed class to hunt there, so it serves a dual purpose. If bowhunting was easy everyone would do it. If it did not require effort and skill and perhaps a little luck, everyone would be successful at it, depending on one's definition of success. Hoping I get in this year with 2 pref points. I fear it will be my last good chance.

Comment

If the state is doing the draw they require the use of crossbows is allowed for general use.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
        Not worth taking the time to spend a Saturday on the BHE unless I get selected. Living down here in SETX, there are very few opportunities to take the class without driving several hours. Although I think I saw it offered online last year when I looked into it but it was past the entry date for the draw.
        You can apply this year without having the BHE class, but if drawn you have to take it.

There will now only be one place that's better than mediocre deer hunting. At least here in the DFW. The more hoops people have to jump through to hunt public land the better the hunting is at those places. There are less people willing to do the work to get drawn and the guys that are willing know how great the hunting is because of those hoops.

I posted it in the Seg. A hog hunt thread...the H is a bow hunters paradise. The place is flat out magical. And knowing that there will be thousands of people applying there, it will soon be ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
          I don't see why guys on this thread saying that they will now apply haven't applied in the past. What was holding you back before this change?

I wish when I was younger I would have known about the H and applied. I didn't really start applying until about 4 years ago and I believe I have enough points this year to get my chance to hunt there. But it may be my last.

The past few years I have had a big group of guys set for the hog hunt and Gayle always made it super easy for us. Only 1 year did we not get our whole group drawn. This year we had 14 guys in camp with 4 of them being kids. It was a great time! I don't see that happening any longer with TPWD involved.

Thank goodness I have done nothing but public land hunt for years and now I will be a land owner by this coming deer season.
          I was just joking. I still won't apply.

Comment

The thing with BH Ed is not everybody has it. That helped keep the #'s down on how many apply. Even with the points system you could get drawn about every 3 years sometimes less.
            I have even been checked by a Game Warden who did not know what BH on my license was. Now as I understand it anybody will be able to apply and if they get drawn then they will have time to get BH Ed and shoot proficiency test. I see a lot of people applying now and reducing the odds for everyone. Luckily I have 3 points for this year no guarantee but
            But good odds. After that it could be a long time till the next time.

Comment

With the current model anybody with 4 preference points is almost guaranteed to get drawn.
              When TPWD takes over, how many preference points will it take?
              I'm guessing 10+ points... But I could be way off.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                Not worth taking the time to spend a Saturday on the BHE unless I get selected. Living down here in SETX, there are very few opportunities to take the class without driving several hours. Although I think I saw it offered online last year when I looked into it but it was past the entry date for the draw.

Ok, I can see your point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                  With the current model anybody with 4 preference points is almost guaranteed to get drawn.
                  When TPWD takes over, how many preference points will it take?
                  I'm guessing 10+ points... But I could be way off.
                  Probably 15+ At least

Comment

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Comment

I guess I will be out for a while. I never apply for TPWD hunts so I have zero points. In 2019 the guys with the most points will hunt the H. That won't be many of us H hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                        I guess I will be out for a while. I never apply for TPWD hunts so I have zero points. In 2019 the guys with the most points will hunt the H. That won't be many of us H hunters.

It’s not going in the general draw part of tpwd hunts. It will have its own draw like atascosa.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                          It’s not going in the general draw part of tpwd hunts. It will have its own draw like atascosa.
                          I'm not familiar with how those work. I guess its time to do some homework!

Comment

So the next question in my mind is "are they going to reduce the amount of permits?". I know they started adjusting the number based on the size of the open units.

Comment

Ugggh!
                              Last edited by bossbowman; 03-20-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

We never got an email either and been applying for a long time, first I am hearing of this...

Comment

Working...
                                X