Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you spend to save a pet’s life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone that has raised catahoulas since the 80's, catches hogs, cows. I have probably owned more dogs than most ever will. The most I have ever spent on one was my best strike dog had a lung punctured by a hog. My choices were the old vet that would charge me about $175. He would cleanup the wound, sow it up from the inside out, leave a drain for me to take out later, and provide antibiotics or a younger vet that would do surgery for around $1000. I went with the old vet and it still bothered my to spent that kind of money. The dog did recovery to hunt another day. I have also had dachshunds since I was 4. I think a lot of them but would not spend more than $200 on any of them. Not trying to be an *** but just giving my honest opinion anyone that spends more than a couple of hundred dollars on a pet needs their head examined or just has way too much money. The ones that really blow my mind are people with old pets that they spends thousands of dollars on. No matter what they do they have few years left so I absolutely cannot understand spending big money on them.

-john
    Last edited by TX_Hoghunter; 01-25-2018, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
      As someone that has raised catahoulas since the 80's, catches hogs, cows. I have probably owned more dogs than most ever will. The most I have ever spent on one was my best strike dog had a lung punctured by a hog. My choices were the old vet that would charge me about $175. He would cleanup the wound, sow it up from the inside out, leave a drain for me to take out later, and provide antibiotics or a younger vet that would do surgery for around $1000. I went with the old vet and it still bothered my to spent that kind of money. The dog did recovery to hunt another day. I have also had dachshunds since I was 4. I think a lot of them but would not spend more than $200 on any of them. Not trying to be an *** but just giving my honest opinion anyone that spends more than a couple of hundred dollars on a pet needs their head examined or just has way too much money. The ones that really blow my mind are people with old pets that they spends thousands of dollars on. No matter of years left so I absolutely cannot understand spending big money on them.

-john
      Your opinion and your opinion only. Yes they are not human by any means, but with no kids in my family these are my kids and I will spend what I want and do not need lecturing that I need my head examined or have too much money!

Comment

I reckon we would go pretty far to save our dogs, but within reason. Dont know if I could spend 5k and the doc says a slim chance for survival, I think it would depend on what the injuries are. Them animal vets is business people too, so a second opinion might be needed if possible.

We grew up coon hunting and farming so a animal vet was hardly ever seen, if dad could not fix it, well you know the rest.

Comment

I always tell my wife the cost of the water to wash off the shovel.
          but in reality... probably whatever it took to prolong their life...except the rabbits....those ****ers can die.

Comment

Whatever a 22 bullet cost

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Your opinion and your opinion only. Yes they are not human by any means, but with no kids in my family these are my kids and I will spend what I want and do not need lecturing that I need my head examined or have too much money!
              Yes...like I said just my opinion. Yours is different. I am not mad at ya and see no need for you to be mad at me. If it makes you feel any better there are lots of things that I do not understand. Like people that live in the city on concrete streets that get a 3/4 ton truck to haul a loaf a bread. Probably add a lift, big tires, and light bars everywhere...........but like I said just my opinion.

-john

Comment

I would put a limit of a couple hundred dollars on my dog (a lab). I would fix a broke leg and things like that. My wife on the other hand, her dog is like a child. I am close to 2k into that dog right now and I missed the 1st year of its life by not knowing my wife. The dog now has IVDD so a $3,500 surgery is possible if the laser treatments quit working. I told her this dog has cost me more than all dogs combined in my entire life.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                  We view our dogs the same way. Probably $10k for me.

We spent $3k on our pug (Mango) in the first three months we had her.
                  What a Beauty .. baby also..combo priceless

Comment

I care more about my dog than almost 7 billion people, so, a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                      Compared to a person they are.

Depends on the person [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would spend as I financially could manage without thinking twice...as long as it was for one of my labs! Now the cats on the other hand...maybe about $20...lol.

Comment

I've got a buddy spent north of 6 grand on a cat. Twice.

Comment

Hard to say but it would probably be a lot. Not a working dog, usually an idiot, but pretty great. Now my sons lab, I’d spend whatever, if I had it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                              I spent about 5k for three more months with my boxer and if I could have spent another 5k for three more I would. My pets is just like my kids and treated the same. SPOILED
                              You spoil your kids?

Comment

More than zero and considerably less than others would. If one of my pets has an issue, then I treat it like ripping off a band aid. It hurts at first, but that passes and we all move on.

I do understand the sentiment of those willing to spend thousands on their pets, but I just couldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X