No announcement yet.

Quitting my job to start my own business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m 23 years old, last year I left a 85-90K job to run my own show, I had similiar savings with extremely limited debt. Here we are 10 months later and I have more money, feedom, and pride in what I do than I ever did working for someone else. Take the leap, keep your eye on the prize, be true to yourself, and remember.....you have to spend it to make it. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by low_tec View Post
      What is your name on Instagram?

@jaretteverett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
        I'm crazy excited and a nervous. I'm sure everybody feels this way when they go to make that leap. But I figured my current job wasn't going to get any better and so I figured I'll give it a shot. I'll be doing marketing, mainly for small outdoor product companies, and try to land a few local small business'. I've got 3 months worth of savings which I figure should be enough to get some sort of income rolling in. I've been coming home every day this week working on my website and starting to generate leads. Telling my boss I'm out tomorrow. If he wants me to stay two weeks, I'll stay, but I doubt he will. Lots of hard and long hours the next couple of weeks but I'm hoping it will be worth. Excited none the less no matter how long and hard I'll have to work!

Pm incoming

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
          I’ve started 3 successful businesses and had one that failed. If you can survive completely on your wife’s salary, you’re willing to sell the boat and truck if need be (and have enough equity in them for it to be helpful), and your wife fully understands that you may have $0 coming in for months, then go for it. Otherwise, it is much better to start it on the side and let it grow.

You want to put everything the business makes back into it rather than bleeding it from day 1. I just spent $6k on my business to take it to the next level. You also don’t want to come in at half price of the other guys. There is a reason they are charging what they do, and when you find out that you need to be in the same range as them to cover things like health insurance, an office, etc, as you grow, you’ll **** your customers off when you raise your prices. There is no reason to work like a dog for little money. You want to target the higher end clients by being better than your competition, but you will have to build your reputation first.

You’re also going to have a tough time convincing the older businesses that get by but have low sales volume that you’re worth hiring. Old guys aren’t going to spend money for something they can’t see, you’re going to have to prove it to them.

You’re also selling yourself short by only targeting outdoor companies. You may find them the most fun, but if your methods translate to other industries you had better be going after coffee shops, pressure washing, apparel, you name it.

I'm not only targeting outdoor companies. That is my passion and it's a niche that I want to get involved with. I will have a local marketing company as well.

As far as selling a service to cheap. I've got 6 spots open, discounted, one year contract with the option to opt out at 6 months if they want. With the agreement that after the one year contract is up my prices will go up. Basically, get a really good deal for being one of the first. If they opt out, I will have more customers lined up. The goal is to keep acquiring customers. My wife is a marketing major so if I need to get some help she'll be the first to help in the day to day.

Comment

Good luck and keep us posted. I'd say you're at a good point in life to go after your dreams, definitely won't happen if you don't try.

Comment

Working...
            X