Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Quitting my job to start my own business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    Good luck!!!!

My advice would be to start it on the side and once its rolling then quit
    Bingo! Start making money before you quit.

Comment

Good luck! I sincerely hope it works out. I think I would want more than 3 months of savings but that's just me. That will go way faster than you realize.

I have been considering doing the same thing (quitting and starting business or finding a job that allows working remotely) in a few years after how awful this latest back surgery has been. My surgeon warned me in 5-8 years I may be facing another. I need something I can do from home so I don't miss 9 months of income like this time. As an engineer I should be able to figure something out, I hope lol.

Comment

I've been really considering opening a business soon. Been bouncing around some ideas but will have a hard time jumping all in like you did.

There are advantages to both. If you go all in you give yourself the best chance for your business to succeed. It takes risk, but if you burn the ships it will force you to make it work. The other side is you can take time to invest and grow the business.

Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
          Fair warning, when they said they need to talk to someone "investors", you basically lost the sale. I wish you the best of luck bud! Will take lots of hard work and will learn as you go. Learning experiences are the hardest lessons and usually from messing something up.
          This.

I wish you the best and hope you prove me wrong but I think 90% of the time me this will turn out poorly for you. Here’s to wishing this is the 10%

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            Fair warning, when they said they need to talk to someone "investors", you basically lost the sale. I wish you the best of luck bud! Will take lots of hard work and will learn as you go. Learning experiences are the hardest lessons and usually from messing something up.

That's what I figured. But I'll touch base again next week. As well as a few months before season. A lot of outdoor products are seasonal, so some don't have the money right now to spend being that deer season is ending and that they wouldnt see a spike in sales until closer to season. So for some people it wouldn't make sense to start right now. No hurt feelings, I'll just move onto the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowPro73 View Post
              This conversion to tablets, phones, and other devices is called a "Responsive Web Design." That's what you'll need to look for if you're researching.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was actually working on that last night. I was having to test and adjust a lot of things to make it cross compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowPro73 View Post
                This conversion to tablets, phones, and other devices is called a "Responsive Web Design." That's what you'll need to look for if you're researching.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                There you go! I don't do web design, just went through having my family business website redone.. They were using flash!!!

Comment

First of all, good luck with your endeavor and your desire to be a self employed business owner. Secondly, I am not a business owner nor have I ever really been self employed, aside from mowing lawns and stuff like that when I was in college, so take my post for what its worth, which isn't much.

From the outside looking in, I worry that you are a little "overly optimistic" at this point for a lack of a better term. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be exited about your future plans, but I'd honestly take some more time to really think things through, do lots of research, and come up with a realistic business plan before quitting your job. I would assume that marketing and promotions for small independent outdoor companies could be a very challenging market to break into. Honestly, a couple weeks of thinking about something isn't much of a foundation to bet your financial well being on.

The thing that would worry me the most would be the three months of monthly income that you have saved. I would personally plan on not making any money for at least a year once you make the plunge. I obviously don't know your specific situation and you may have a spouse that makes plenty of money, which would change things to some extent. If you are the sole income earner or if your family counts on your income to survive, I'd be very careful about quitting my job at this point. That would honestly be my biggest concern. I would plan for the worst and work toward success.

Again, good luck to you. I admire your desire to get out of the rat race and to work for yourself. I'm just trying to play the other side of the argument so that you go into this with your eyes as wide open as possible. Keep us updated.

Comment

Go for it and have fun doing it.

Comment

I quit working for other folks in 1989, after 17 years with the same company, minus a couple years at other jobs. Went through some ownership changes, for the worse IMO, so I just had to go. I had $5,000 in my checking account and if you know anything about heavy construction, you know that ain't much. Nevertheless, I pulled the plug and was mildly worried if it would be a success, but at the same time I knew I could always go to work for someone else as I'd had several offers. I knew though, that only the signature on the paycheck would be different if I just changed jobs, so I rented equipment, arranged for fuel on credit, and made the jump. I've never regretted that decision, even though the first couple years I had to scratch to make ends meet. My first priority was to pay the bills.....always ! My wife was my bookkeeper and was behind me 100%. Without that support, I might have given up and went back to work for some company. A few years later I was making enough money to actually afford to do things that I couldn't before, like have a deer lease. I joined another fellow in a partnership in '91 and it was a great success, until it wasn't. I sold my half in 2003 and started consulting, the best move I ever made. Now, I not only had the money, I had some time. Having worked 6/7 days a week for most of my life, it was strange (and nice) to work mostly five day weeks and not have to work dark to dark.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor ! Sometimes you just gotta go for the gusto !

Comment

Be prepared to be astounded at your health insurance options also being self employed!

Best of luck to you man...but personally even after reading all of this, I would not rush into it and quit just yet

You have more balls then I do lol

Comment

I took the leap in 1992. I didn't have 3 months worth of savings. Matter of fact I didn't even have enough to cover rent that was due the next week. Rent got paid and I'm still standing 26 years later.

IMO, to be successful you need to go all in and don't take your eye off the prize.

Wish you much success!

Comment

awesome

Comment

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Congrats! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X