Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck! I fully support guys like you.

Comment

Good luck brother

Comment

my brother can build you an app for cheap if needed. Let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
            Side note - I did leave out some important information

My wife has a job that makes 50K a year. By 3 months of savings that's if we both aren't working. So really I have 6 months. But if I don't have any income coming in by 3 months. It's time for me to get another job. I also know the GM's of my local Lowe's and HEB. They both said if I needed a job they have a space for me. Would that be desirable, no, but it's a net. My wife and I are 24 so we don't have to pay health insurance yet. We paid of my wife's student loans last year. So the only debt we have is my truck and house payment. Truck and boat can go if they need to. And we have no kids. Basically my risk is relatively low compared to what some people have to lose by starting their business with a family.

The other cool thing is this business has next to no overhead other than the mortgage!

Is it a risk? Of course. But I don't think I have a lot to lose. I'm also the type of guy to where I'll go knock on doors if I have to. Bankruptcy is not an option. Also because I'm hungry, I'm cutting my terms in half compared to a couple competitors around town(which aren't really competitors. They get 6-9 clients and just leave it at that.) Lower prices and shorter contracts.

The other good news is I know the inside and outside of social media and Amazon. My local competitors don't. Specifically Instagram, I've learned how to target followers who enjoy the outdoor industry and can prove that with my personal page which grows by thousands a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t have to pay for health insurance? How does that work?

Best of luck to you buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
              Don’t have to pay for health insurance? How does that work?

Best of luck to you buddy!

i am pretty sure you can be on your parents plan until age 25 or 26

Comment

Comment

Side note - I did leave out some important information

My wife has a job that makes 50K a year. By 3 months of savings that's if we both aren't working. So really I have 6 months. But if I don't have any income coming in by 3 months. It's time for me to get another job. I also know the GM's of my local Lowe's and HEB. They both said if I needed a job they have a space for me. Would that be desirable, no, but it's a net. My wife and I are 24 so we don't have to pay health insurance yet. We paid of my wife's student loans last year. So the only debt we have is my truck and house payment. Truck and boat can go if they need to. And we have no kids. Basically my risk is relatively low compared to what some people have to lose by starting their business with a family.

The other cool thing is this business has next to no overhead other than the mortgage!

Is it a risk? Of course. But I don't think I have a lot to lose. I'm also the type of guy to where I'll go knock on doors if I have to. Bankruptcy is not an option. Also because I'm hungry, I'm cutting my terms in half compared to a couple competitors around town(which aren't really competitors. They get 6-9 clients and just leave it at that.) Lower prices and shorter contracts.

The other good news is I know the inside and outside of social media and Amazon. My local competitors don't. Specifically Instagram, I've learned how to target followers who enjoy the outdoor industry and can prove that with my personal page which grows by thousands a week.

That’s a helluva lot better plan than I had ! Get after it !

Comment

I took the leap in 2001 and been on my own since. I was a Facilities Manager at a Fortune 500 company before that. I am in retail sales and own a franchise, the first three years was bad, so bad that I was ready to go work for someone again. Then I remembered all the work and effort I gave to someone else and got nothing in return, so I pushed on. So far it has worked out for me and I am now working four days a week by choice.

I will give you a little realty check and dont take it the wrong way, but maybe build on what I post. You seem a little naive about a small business and the way it works. Small business must be customer service driven, you may work 6 or 7 days a week and not make a dime in the beginning. You might make a big sale and then have to back the sale out. You have taxes, taxes and more taxes to worry about, you got warranty and returns to worry about. There will be at least one customer a day that will pizz you off and you gotta swallow your pride and take your azz whipping from him and move on. Products are easy to sell, its what goes on after the sale that matters.
                    Last edited by Radar; 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      Good luck!!!!

My advice would be to start it on the side and once its rolling then quit
                      This....

Comment

I truly wish you luck in this endeavor. I did this in 1989 to pursue a business I had dreamed about for close to 15 years, so I know where you are at in this endeavor. Hope it works for you!

Comment

I’ve started 3 successful businesses and had one that failed. If you can survive completely on your wife’s salary, you’re willing to sell the boat and truck if need be (and have enough equity in them for it to be helpful), and your wife fully understands that you may have $0 coming in for months, then go for it. Otherwise, it is much better to start it on the side and let it grow.

You want to put everything the business makes back into it rather than bleeding it from day 1. I just spent $6k on my business to take it to the next level. You also don’t want to come in at half price of the other guys. There is a reason they are charging what they do, and when you find out that you need to be in the same range as them to cover things like health insurance, an office, etc, as you grow, you’ll **** your customers off when you raise your prices. There is no reason to work like a dog for little money. You want to target the higher end clients by being better than your competition, but you will have to build your reputation first.

You’re also going to have a tough time convincing the older businesses that get by but have low sales volume that you’re worth hiring. Old guys aren’t going to spend money for something they can’t see, you’re going to have to prove it to them.

You’re also selling yourself short by only targeting outdoor companies. You may find them the most fun, but if your methods translate to other industries you had better be going after coffee shops, pressure washing, apparel, you name it.
                          Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 01-11-2018, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Specifically Instagram, I've learned how to target followers who enjoy the outdoor industry and can prove that with my personal page which grows by thousands a week.

What is your name on Instagram?

Comment

Originally posted by low_tec View Post
                              What is your name on Instagram?
                              I was wondering that myself.

Comment

I own a small business I wake up every day unemployed.
                                I love it

Comment

Working...
                                X