How do you guys do it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJM View Post
    I always step in a cow patty on the way to the stand.

DJ
    Me too but not on purpose.

Comment

Not sure this will help or apply but here it is anyway. Last bow season I got busted almost every time. After over analyzing everything and still nothing. So I kept hunting. Then after getting busted one morning I was climbing down the ladder and saw wet spots on the ladder rungs as I went down. But it was a dry morning. The soles of my boots had cracked and soaked up moisture and had started to smell. Didn't notice till I put my nose near the crack and took a good wif.(I know I just set myself up) lol. Anyway new boots and back to normal hunting again.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
        Don't forget to spray down your truck seat and floor mat.

DJ
        Interesting. Never did that. It doesn't stain the seats?

Comment

I sweat a lot too. I spray down with Scent Killer again once I'm in my stand and I became a fan of Ever Calm last weekend. I had 5 doe within 10 yards of me with swirling winds.

Comment

I keep all of my hunting clothes in a plastic box from Wal Mart. Should I separate only the clothes I'm going to hunt with each time? They have all been washed and dried outside.

Comment

Originally posted by regraeae View Post
              I sweat a lot too. I spray down with Scent Killer again once I'm in my stand and I became a fan of Ever Calm last weekend. I had 5 doe within 10 yards of me with swirling winds.
              So far how do you like "ever calm?" I've been thinking about buying some as well. I've watched the whole series on TV about Conquest 200, so it's gotta work right??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
                So far how do you like "ever calm?" I've been thinking about buying some as well. I've watched the whole series on TV about Conquest 200, so it's gotta work right??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
                I like it. I put it on my boots about 100 yards before my stand and then put it on some limbs around me once I was in the stand. They knew something was there at first but "calmed" down. They hung around for 15-20 minutes and casually walked out.

Comment

Bathing in deer urine is the only way to go.

Comment

I am elevated 20-25 feet in the air. Face and hands are covered. All my movements are very slow (This is the key) . I use scent killer on clothing the evening before hunting. Spray hat and pack too. I can't remember the last time I was busted.

Comment

Stand around the campfire for a few minutes and head to the woods.

Comment

Get a climbing stand so that you can be portable and always hunt with the wind in your favor. A climbing stand also gives you the element of surprise. They have your spot pegged now and are going to avoid it. This video is from yesterday afternoon out of my climber, I just found some rubs in some oak trees and set up downwind. About as close as you can get to one in a tree.

Comment

out flank em on the downwind side. You probably have an old doe hitting your corn that has busted you. You will need to get further down wind from your corn pile than she is.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                            Interesting. Never did that. It doesn't stain the seats?
                            I had my last truck for ten years and it never hurt it..............cloth seats.They only thing I ever noticed was a white residue on the plastic around it.I do it on my current truck with no issues so far.

DJ

Comment

I keep my hunting clothes in a bag with baking soda then put them on right before I walk to stand. Try not to touch anything on the walk in. Hunt down wind of feeder so they hopefully circle downwind close to me. Nothing is full proof but a companation of a lot of things helps and just decreasing the intensity of your scent helps.

I have always wondered if before the season I set some old sticky cloths in my tree stand and left them there always if the deer would become adjusted to the smell over the weeks and think less of it when I was actually sitting in tree.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                "just hunt the wind" is a lot easier than it sounds. with as busy as most people are sometimes it just comes down to the fact that I have a free morning to hunt, so I'm gonna hunt. also the deer tend to come from everywhere on all 3 of my spots, i have preferred winds for each one, but it never fails that i will have at least 1 come in from behind me every hunt.
                                X2 on this.

Seriously, I have a couple setups where it's practically a guessing game which direction the deer may come from. The wind in SE Texas also can be a bit swirly as well. At least where I hunt, the wind is a variable very tough to control.

As stated, the basics are wash clothes in scent free wash, air dry or smoke and pack up in scent free bags. Change clothes outside of the truck at the lease when you are fixing to head to your stand. Spray down with scent killer head to tow. Don't forget to spray down your hat and pack, which more than likely weren't in with your clothes.

Park as far away from your stand as you find comfortable (I'm good with 300 yards). If possible, stay as far away from any known bedding areas that you can. Also try and disturb as little as possible for the walk in and keep the light shine to a minimum.

With that said, sometimes, it's not really you. There are times when the deer just don't cooperate. I've had many hunts that seemed like the ideal situation to only come up with a completely dry hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X