No announcement yet.

How do you guys do it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change your approach and your stand location. You may have been busted and not know it

Comment

Everyone seems to have their own process. This is what's working for me.

1) Always play the wind as best you can.
      2) DO NOT put on your hunting clothes and boots until you are getting ready to walk to your stand. Wash them in scent free detergent (underwear, socks and all), air dry, and keep in a scent free bag until you arrive at your parking spot. Yes you'll have to change in the cold air some mornings, but you won't have to worry about smelling like Snuggle Soft, your Labrador, your wife's perfume, or the drop of gas that dripped on you at the pump that morning.
      3)Once you're dressed, spray down with your choice of scent eliminator.
      4) Spray a touch of Nose Jammer on each boot.
      5) Spray a bit of nose jammer on the tree once you've climbed up.

Yes, I'm a scent Nazi. I hunt public land and I try to eliminate as many variables as possible. I have around 15 deer within 30 yards of me on opening day. The only one that busted me was a doe that I stopped by saying "meh". She was 6 yards from the base of my tree, and looked dead at me when I said it. I could have taken her but I gave her a pass since she had a spotted fawn with her. She stared for 15-20 seconds before going on her way in a hasty fashion.

Comment

Stay clean. Always keep the wind in your favor. I know that is cliché but it is true. Have at least two stands to cover every area you hunt. Or if you just have one stand in a particular area, do not hunt that stand when the wind is not in your favor. I am not a big believer in spraying down but try to stay as clean as you can. I shower before each and every hunt. When I come in from a hunt, I hang my clothes outside.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
          I always step in a cow patty on the way to the stand.

DJ
          Been known to do this myself.

Comment

I wear only scentlok and wash it in Scentlok cleaning products while taking a shower before each hunt. I spray my boots and backpack with "Pete Rickards - Earth Scent". When I get to my stand I put a few squirts on the netting and seat cushions also. When I am gone the scent is still there for them to smell, everytime I go hunting I do the same thing. I took my 6 year old daughter with me this weekend and not once did we get busted, we even had a few deer that circled around downwind to check us out and no blowing. just my routine and for ME it has worked just fine.

Comment

Let me come out and sit in your setup, I won't even bring a weapon. I'll just take pics

Comment

Also, I dab doe pee on the inside if my wrists and behind my ears like a lady's perfume. You should try this. It's an excellent scent mask.

Comment

i would like to know what you are hunting out of. I went through this in a tree stand for a few years because where I am at I cant get high enough due to no big trees. I had to go to an elevated pop up and now haven't had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
                    Everyone seems to have their own process. This is what's working for me.

1) Always play the wind as best you can.
                    2) DO NOT put on your hunting clothes and boots until you are getting ready to walk to your stand. Wash them in scent free detergent (underwear, socks and all), air dry, and keep in a scent free bag until you arrive at your parking spot. Yes you'll have to change in the cold air some mornings, but you won't have to worry about smelling like Snuggle Soft, your Labrador, your wife's perfume, or the drop of gas that dripped on you at the pump that morning.
                    3)Once you're dressed, spray down with your choice of scent eliminator.
                    4) Spray a touch of Nose Jammer on each boot.
                    5) Spray a bit of nose jammer on the tree once you've climbed up.

Yes, I'm a scent Nazi. I hunt public land and I try to eliminate as many variables as possible. I have around 15 deer within 30 yards of me on opening day. The only one that busted me was a doe that I stopped by saying "meh". She was 6 yards from the base of my tree, and looked dead at me when I said it. I could have taken her but I gave her a pass since she had a spotted fawn with her. She stared for 15-20 seconds before going on her way in a hasty fashion.
                    ^^^^ that's about it man lol HUNT THE WIND
                    I don't know about nose jammer I have never used it. I will rub ever calm on my boots and my stand/blind.

Also if possible take a shower with scent free body wash/shampoo before every hunt if you cant I use will spit bath with a bucket of water and towel/paper towel and then use scent free odor/killer wipes. I use odor free deodorant and I will also spray my hair with scent eliminator spray.

My clothes I wash with scent free/die free detergent without brightener and air dry or use odor eliminator dryer sheets. Then I were gloves to put them in giant skip lock bags and squeeze the air out. If I am camped out I will spray my clothes down real good between hunts and them dry out also.

I have also been know to boil up some cedar frawns/limbs and use the water as cover scent or use a cedar branch to rub hard and fast all over my blind/stand/boots as cover scent also.
                    Last edited by DuramaxDude; 10-23-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pullersboy;12849597]Also, I dab doe pee on the inside if my wrists and behind my ears like a lady's perfume. You should try this. It's an excellent scent mask.

It’s good to gargle with also

Comment

I am very low budget so I do not have Ozonics or any scent control clothing. I take a shower in either Scent Killer or Scent Away. When I get to my spot I change clothes and spray down with either Scent Killer or Scent Away. I spray clothes, bow, boots. I am wearing rubber boots.

I am always sweating when I get to my stand or blind.

I know you are supposed to hunt the wind but I only get to hunt weekends and I hunt on Fort Hood which is very difficult. So If I get an opportunity to go hunt I go.

Comment

All of my hunting is either out of 15' ladder stands or pop-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                            All of my hunting is either out of 15' ladder stands or pop-ups.
                            I know guys kill from 15ft every year, but that wasn't high enough for my spot, I was constantly getting stared at and couldn't move. so I went to a pop up on the ground and found out that being eye level with the deer made things tough too. I elevated it about 4.5ft and have had much better luck.

now, on my other spot, I have a 15ft ladder stand backed up into a big cedar and have had good luck out of it.

Comment

This is all I use and I will go through a jug every weekend. Seems to work for me. I've had deer walk down the path I take to my tree stands and have yet to get busted.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
                                This is all I use and I will go through a jug every weekend. Seems to work for me. I've had deer walk down the path I take to my tree stands and have yet to get busted.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
                                I use this same scent killer. I spray down pretty good. The only other thing I do is drop a few drops of doe urine on my boots before I walk in and a few more drops when I get to my stand. Always have deer come in so I'm confident with just that. At least so far

Comment

Working...
                                X