Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ever been electrocuted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
    No but I drowned once
    Originally posted by sendit View Post
    If you were electrocuted you wouldn't be alive to tell the story, your loved ones might though.
    Definition of electrocute

electrocuted; electrocuting

transitive verb

1 :to kill or severely injure by electric shock ·Because of flawed electrical work by contractors, the bulletin stated, soldiers at U.S. bases in Iraq had received severe electrical shocks, and some had even been electrocuted.
    —James Risen
    · But if a power outage occurs, the PV [photovoltaic] system has to shut down or it could electrocute utility workers who think they're working on dead lines.
    —Popular Science
    ·He was working on Pier 38 on the West Side of Manhattan when he was accidently electrocuted by a high-voltage wire. He suffered second- and third-degree burns and had to undergo painful skin grafts.
    —Robert I. Friedman

Comment

Originally posted by plentl65 View Post
      I had a customer ask me why I was using my insulated pliers to take those terminals off capacitors. Had[ATTACH]872780[/ATTACH] this happen yesterday, would have hurt for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      The worst I've been but was in that scenario. I was working on an FAA light on top of a large structure and needed to replace a component with quick connect space lugs.

It was a tight fit so I grabbed my needle nose to pull it off and then I got bit. No flash, just shocked and held for a second.

Working buddy thought I was joking with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        If you get shocked you are doing it wrong. Back in my younger, more inexperienced/stupid days I got it a few times.

There's no good reason to work anything hot and our company has a zero tolerance policy.

We have people that are specifically trained in NFPA 70E procedures to perform energized work.

For sake of argument, yes there is plenty of good reasons to work on an energized system.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
          Definition of electrocute

electrocuted; electrocuting

transitive verb

1 :to kill or severely injure by electric shock
          "To electrocute is to kill using electricity. If you live to tell the tale, you’ve been shocked, but not electrocuted. For the same reason, the phrase “electrocuted to death” is a redundancy."

Prof. Paul Brians
          Washington State University.

I can quote stuff too Lol It was a simple joke but if you really want to get technical about it, the TBHers explaining their experiences were not "Severely injured" and did not receive "2nd or 3rd degree burns".... By your definition, still a "shock"

Just stirrin' the pot this morning. My apologies. Carry on gentleman.

OP, hope you're doing alright.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
            For sake of argument, yes there is plenty of good reasons to work on an energized system.
            agreed

Comment

I have been dit to many times to count.
              But the one that stands out happened in the 80s. I was deputy in Goliad and was doing the dunking booth for the Cub Scouts.
              I had just been dunked and the radio DJ asked me a question and as I leaned over the mike water ran down my nose to make contact with the micro. I let out a @#@# that hurt on live radio.

Comment

Yup... building a dump trailer I was welding on the two frames side by side, I was done welding for the moment one had the ground on it stuck the stinger on the other frame and grabbed them both to help push my self up to a standing position... I completed the circuit. Pretty dumb move on my part hurt like an SOB.

Comment

It's pretty amazing to me how many people on here have been shocked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by plentl65 View Post
                    I had a customer ask me why I was using my insulated pliers to take those terminals off capacitors. Had[ATTACH]872780[/ATTACH] this happen yesterday, would have hurt for sure.

Yea. That's wouldve stung for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                      Got knocked unconscious one time. Had a hot wire touch my neck that I didn't know was there. Didn't feel any pain though. Just remember waking up flat on the ground lol
                      On a side note..

Beautiful dog, Big Red!

Comment

I have been popped by 110 a few times. The thought of getting actually electrocuted terrifies me. . Back in college three guys in the frat house next to me died when a scaffold they were moving fell into a powerline. I saw the aftermath and it made a big impression on me. I know my limitations, knowledge-wise and take no chances. I will work on anything in the house that is downstream of the breaker box like replacing/installing fixtures and so forth, but beyond that I call an electrician.
                        Last edited by jerp; 09-15-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                          It's pretty amazing to me how many people on here have been shocked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          This goes with the saying............

Comment

It's impossible to be electrocuted and live to tell about it...

Well would you just look at thaaat!!

Comment

Remodeling a house I bought. Breaker labeled kitchen wasn't. Started undoing the range outlet 220. Found out the hard way it was hot. Knocked me across the room. Went back into the basement and flipped the breaker I didn't see labeled range the first time. Got me again. This time I just pulled the main. My arm and right side was numb for awhile but I lived and learned a lesson

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post

I work on critical systems projects all the time. Energized work is the absolute last option. And when we do it, it's by highly qualified workers using all of the proper PPE.

Anything over 40 calories of arc flash energy we won't touch. They can hire someone else to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X