No announcement yet.

Make money off baseball parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a school resource officer and spend 2 hours everyday at lunch finding open seats and talking to kids. I had never heard the term "youtuber" until I started asking kids what they want to be when they grow up, and youtuber was by far the most popular answer. Go ask a group of 3rd-6th grade kids what they are going to do for the weekend and I guarantee you the majority will say video games, and they will say they want to play all day and all night long.

It's no coincidence that we spend as much time as possible with a team of some sort at a field/court of some sort, and if we aren't there we are on the 4 wheelers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
      I've held a stalker and a stopwatch at a good chunk of hs baseball games recruiting for college. They will definitely find you if you're a quality hs guy, no matter how crappy your team or district is.
      Yep

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
        I agree moderation is best. Kids have to be kids. Andrew has never been forced to play and could have quit anytime he wanted to. He's 16 years old now and has been playing select since he was 9. We rarely played where we had to stay in hotels and have mostly played for teams/organizations that didn't have high paid coaches and had lots of fundraising to help with costs... maybe that's the difference. I would never and can't afford to travel all over the country for baseball... I have a job and 2 other Kids!

That sounds completely reasonable to me. Like I said, I'll take it as far as his talent wants to go and as hard as he wants to work at it. But I will not let it run our family, like some people do. Not that they are wrong, that's just not the way I want to do things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
          I've held a stalker and a stopwatch at a good chunk of hs baseball games recruiting for college. They will definitely find you if you're a quality hs guy, no matter how crappy your team or district is.
          I'm not saying you haven't, all those showcase kids play school ball somewhere and someone will want some more looks at them. But isn't it logical to think that that same kid will be playing a tournament in a month on a team full of potential recruits? As a scout which makes more sense to attend?

There are no doubt going to diamonds in the rough, the greatest player in the world today, Mike Trout, was passed over because he wasn't a big player in the summer ball scene in New Jersey. The scouts that passed him said if he had been a Texas or California kid he would have gotten a lot more attention

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            If I read the OP right, he's just looking for a moneymaking endeavor off of folks who seem very willing to spend it. Not complaining about how much they spend.

Exactly, I don't care how a man spends his money. I'm just looking at it from a pure money making standpoint. There is very tiny number of guys that get drafted every year and I have three guys just in my shop that have spent a 1/4mil for their boys to play baseball. None of their boys will ever makes the pros.

If folks are willing to invest in something with a negative ROI I want to get in on that.

Comment

Did not read entire thread but chances to make it up all the way to the big leagues is very slim.

Had my friend invest alot of money on his son and all he got was a partial scholarship/ work study program for a small baseball program at a small school in Illinois.

He only last 1 1/2 years as he could not keep up his grades.

He is back home working odd jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Brady won the calf scramble at the Bowie rodeo the other night, and only got 20 bucks, I was expecting to come home to a calf in the back yard!

Wife said he wanted in the mutton bustin, but she wouldn't let him without some practice. I expect my father-in-law to buy ssome sheepwithin the next two weeks.
                Well stop him right there!! Muttons lead to calves, calves lead to steers, steers lead to Bulls. Then it gets hard and painful. But if he still wants to ride I recommend going to a quality school. And I would recommend my friend Ted Nuce
                Last edited by BrandonA; 06-28-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  Exactly, I don't care how a man spends his money. I'm just looking at it from a pure money making standpoint. There is very tiny number of guys that get drafted every year and I have three guys just in my shop that have spent a 1/4mil for their boys to play baseball. None of their boys will ever makes the pros.

If folks are willing to invest in something with a negative ROI I want to get in on that.

Taco/Snowcone combo truck in the parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    Well stop him right there!! Muttons lead to calves, calves lead to steers, steers lead to Bulls. Then it gets hard and painful. But if he still wants to ride I recommend going to a quality school. And I would recommend my friend Ted Nuce

If he rides a sheep, it WILL NOT go further than that unless he has a rope twirling in his hand, and that will depend on him and his grandad.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                      EVERY parent thinks their kid is better than they are. Lol
                      Daddy Ball....and most of the daddy's can't play either....but if they got money, their kid is invited.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                        I'm not saying you haven't, all those showcase kids play school ball somewhere and someone will want some more looks at them. But isn't it logical to think that that same kid will be playing a tournament in a month on a team full of potential recruits? As a scout which makes more sense to attend?

There are no doubt going to diamonds in the rough, the greatest player in the world today, Mike Trout, was passed over because he wasn't a big player in the summer ball scene in New Jersey. The scouts that passed him said if he had been a Texas or California kid he would have gotten a lot more attention
                        We're in the age of web-hosted highlight vids. The bad thing about the good select teams is that it's really easy to pick out the weak links.

Comment

Not all of the "good" tournament teams cost as much as some here seem to think. Some of the larger organizations do cost more due to paid Coaches. Most Parents are smart enough not to shell out large sums unless the kids have quality coaching. I do not know one Parent that looked at tournament baseball as some sort of return on investment. The difference may have been that the teams my son played on would have at least ten guys who could play college ball somewhere. This isn't always about playing in the pros...again as some people think. My son did it so he could play with and against the best competition in the Houston area and beyond. He nor our Family would trade one cent for the added value he gained by playing at the high level he did. His competitive level has carried on in to college and his future. Not to mention he is still Freinds with these guys currently playing ball at Texas Tech, TCU, San Jac, U of H, Perdue, etc. Throw the money piece out of it. If you have kids then you probably do your best to let them succeed at what they are great at. Doesn't matter what it is. Could be motor bike competitions, dance, cheer ( anyone looked at this cost for those that have daughters?????). It is not throwing money down the drain as some believe if your kids enjoy doing what they are great at. Just my two cents. My son played tournament ball for ten years and would not trade it for any other sport. He still had time to bow hunt, ski, fish, and be a kid. Just enjoy your kids. Life is short.

Comment

A friend of mine sent me this, think it rings very true.

I played quite a bit of baseball in my youth. I got as far as being the captain of a pretty good high school team. But somewhere between my junior and senior season, I realized I probably would never get to the top level of the game.

Not because of a lack of effort or desire – trust me, there wasn't anything I wanted to do more than play professional baseball. The realization had more to do with seeing first-hand what that top-level player looked like.

In my junior year I played in the same outfield as a future Detroit Tiger named Scott Lusader and trust me, it was borderline humiliating to someone that considered themselves pretty good to do a self-assessment compared to a guy with that kind of natural talent. The writing was on the wall!

So when I saw the following post on Facebook the other day, it really hit home for me. The post was in response to a story in the Washington Post about how travel teams are having a negative effect on baseball in America. And I think you'll agree it comes from a pretty valid source!

Doug Carpenter has more than 30 years of experience with professional baseball as a player, coach and scout. He is now a scout with MLB's Cleveland Indians.

Here's Doug’s comments on the story:

Just my opinion. Let your child play all sports (football, basketball, soccer, etc.). It helps round out their overall athleticism. When the baseball season is over THROW the glove in the closet! You will be amazed at the passion shown when baseball season rolls around again. Can you make them better? Yes. Can you push them too hard? YES! There is a fine line between the two and unfortunately, most parents don’t know where that line is. Major League Baseball players are very blessed athletes and there is more than just "ability" involved. Makeup, instincts, fundamentals, and work ethics are just a few factors that also affect player upside/value. How many times do we hear, "Oh...that Bobby is gonna play in the Big Leagues.” Reality check: there are only 750 Major League player jobs available during the season. And if Bobby is a shortstop he has to be one of the BEST 30 IN THE WORLD or he is not going to be a Major Leaguer. I think it’s less than .001 percent of kids playing youth baseball get the chance to be a Major League Baseball player. Yes...a lot of kids get the opportunity to play in the Minor Leagues (I did so for 7 years) but unless you got a big bonus, as the band Boston once sang, "you barely make enough to survive.”

Bottom line: let your kids be kids. Let them enjoy all the sports. If they are meant to play pro ball...their natural ability will one day allow them the opportunity. I am a firm believer that Major League Baseball players aren’t made...they are born.

Doug's last sentence hit home for me and I hope it's something that will also hit home for the thousands of moms and dads out there who are considering year round travel sports!

Comment

I have handed out scholarships for 30+ years. So have a lot of my friends.

Most the time yes you have to play select ball or big summer golf tournaments to get attention. But not always. There are very few kids that fall through the cracks anymore. DI's are recruiting 2-3 years out in advance. Then it's a trickle down thru coaching friends to sub division, DII, DIII, NJCAA and NAIA.

Playing summer ball or golf or what ever sport is a double edge sword for sure!

Play well and you might get a 25% scholarship to a $25000 dollar a year University. I'd say 10% or less get these scholarships.

Play good to average and get preferred or just regular walk on if your lucky. I would say that 90% or more don't get anything scholarship wise.

Play bad and you will get nothing.

1. Don't play a sport for a scholarship. Play it because they have a passion for it.
                              2. Don't get stuck on Division I!! There are a lot of really good other options out there.
                              3. Parents DO NOT try to recruit your kids out. Let them contact coaches, send out resumes, make highlight AND low lights TOO videos. Parents are a huge problem in this area. The kids will sell themselves.
                              4. Many times coaches know kids can play way before they see them in person. The coaches go watch to see how they preform when it's not going so good. Are they bad body language guys. Are they energy givers or energy suckers. Are they team leaders or individual show ponies. Are they hustlers on and off the field.

Just sharing what us coaches have talked about many times over, year after year. It's not new stuff.

To the OP'S original question. Summer or travel ball is a money maker. Ask yourself this question. When paying for lessons or playing on select teams. When was the last time the coach has told a player, their mom or dad. Your son or daughter just aren't very good. They don't need to come back? There's never been a bad lesson !

Comment

I
                                Last edited by Shane77624; 06-29-2017, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X