Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make money off baseball parents

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
    All I'm saying is that my son loves baseball so investing a little $$$ (not $20k/year for sure) for him to play is just as worth it to me as you investing in your daughters rodeo...

Everything in moderation!

My son is just getting started in baseball, and he loves it, and I love it! But I will not let him do it to the point that it keeps him from doing other things like fishing, hunting, basketball ( which I hate), or otherwise living a complete life as a kid should do, in my opinion. And I think that may be where Brandon was trying to go, in a roundabout way.

I am in no way trying to speak for Brandon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

my cousin played traveling teams and did very well. got a full scholarship to college and a 100k offer to come up to the minor leagues...his parents are doing quite well so for them it was a no brainer - he showed athletic talent before he was 3 - i remember him throwing a football across the room*nerf and catching it too before he was 3 years old.

he turned down the 100k offer btw- holding out for a better deal since 100k is about the bottom dollar to sign someone these days

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
        Truck -50k
        Trailer-35k
        Horse-5-15k
        Saddle 1000-1500
        Feed for the year $$$
        Vet bills $$$
        All sports are expensive, but we choose baseball.
        i have a buddy at work that likes to laugh at us for spending money and weekends at the field as he hooks up his $15k camper and pulls it all over the country camping....

Comment

Make money off baseball parents

I have no illusions that my son is going to be a world-class baseball player, but if he is the scouts will find him.

Just like they would in rodeo, basketball, chess, academics, soccer, or anything else.

What I mean to say is, I intend to take him as far as he wants to go in anything he does, but I will not try to force him in One Direction or another. Or like I said do anything to the detriment of just being a kid, And doing regular kid stuff.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-28-2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
            It'd be interesting to know actual stats on how many recreational (non-select) boys even make their high school team.
            I bet the number is pretty low.

I make my 13 year old son deliver firewood with me, to help fund his coaching.
            ...as well as how many of them burn out before then or blow up a shoulder have to punch out early.

Comment

Those select baseball guys are stealing y'all blind. They prey on kids dreams and capitalize big time! Get a group of friends together and make a team and have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

My son is just getting started in baseball, and he loves it, and I love it! But I will not let him do it to the point that it keeps him from doing other things like fishing, hunting, basketball ( which I hate), or otherwise living a complete life as a kid should do, in my opinion. And I think that may be where Brandon was trying to go, in a roundabout way.

The best thing to do is not play fall ball. We go hunting and play other sports and just let him be a kid just my 2 cents. We have played year round before and it's a lot of baseball.

Comment

Truck -50k
                  Trailer-35k
                  Horse-5-15k
                  Saddle 1000-1500
                  Feed for the year $$$
                  Vet bills $$$
                  All sports are expensive, but we choose baseball.
                  That's the low end lol. The difference being she can win $$$ if she is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    That's the low end lol. The difference being she can win $$$ if she is good enough.
                    Same with baseball. We just had a family member my wife's side sign with the Pirates he was the 11th pick in the 1st round big money right out of high school.

Comment

The best thing to do is not play fall ball. We go hunting and play other sports and just let him be a kid just my 2 cents. We have played year round before and it's a lot of baseball.

I have already made it known to him, his mother, and more importantly his coaches, that he will not be playing fall ball. And if that puts us behind then so be it, if he's that good then it won't put us behind that far.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

I agree moderation is best. Kids have to be kids. Andrew has never been forced to play and could have quit anytime he wanted to. He's 16 years old now and has been playing select since he was 9. We rarely played where we had to stay in hotels and have mostly played for teams/organizations that didn't have high paid coaches and had lots of fundraising to help with costs... maybe that's the difference. I would never and can't afford to travel all over the country for baseball... I have a job and 2 other Kids!

Comment

Same with baseball. We just had a family member my wife's side sign with the Pirates he was the 11th pick in the 1st round big money right out of high school.
                          She's winning money now at 12 yrs old. Charmanye James won the world championship when she was in JR High.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                            It'd be interesting to know actual stats on how many recreational (non-select) boys even make their high school team.
                            I bet the number is pretty low.

I make my 13 year old son deliver firewood with me, to help fund his coaching.
                            Id be willing to bet there are as many kids who played select ball ( paid thousands to do so) who never amounted to anything special in the end as
                            There are Who played rec ball for a tenth of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                              This is a fun topic, I will have to revisit it in the morning.

But one quick thing I've figured out, playing rec ball and/or only school ball won't get you very far today. As it was explained to me, why would a college coach send a scout to a high school game to see 1, maybe 2 possible recruits when they can go to a summer showcase tournament and see teams full of them all day long?
                              I've held a stalker and a stopwatch at a good chunk of hs baseball games recruiting for college. They will definitely find you if you're a quality hs guy, no matter how crappy your team or district is.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                The difference is that youth and high school rodeo is not sanctioned by the Uil and she can compete for money and obtain $$$ sponsors.

Brady won the calf scramble at the Bowie rodeo the other night, and only got 20 bucks, I was expecting to come home to a calf in the back yard!

Wife said he wanted in the mutton bustin, but she wouldn't let him without some practice. I expect my father-in-law to buy ssome sheepwithin the next two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X