Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best advice your boss ever gave you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a meeting one day when one guy told an outright lie and I called him on it. It got ugly fast because everyone knew he was lying after I presented the facts, and the liar was backpedalling furiously. My boss was smart and asked everyone to leave so he could counsel me. Uh, oh, I was thinking how I was going to tell my wife I just got fired when he told me I had a remarkable talent for sensing BS, and not putting up with it. He said while many appreciated that talent, others need and want a certain amount of BS. He told me to never lose my talent, but to try and learn and understand that some people had to have their quota of BS. I really liked the way my boss talked to me, and I've often thought of that in my day-to-day life.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

the most important thing you can do for your career is to excel at your current job.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Well....I was always told I was special in school. They even gave me my own little bus so the other kids wouldn't feel inferior.

LOL....I always thought that bus was just for me......

-john

Comment

Don't come to me with a problem unless you have a possible solution.

Comment

"Shoot, Ready, Aim is the wrong order"

Comment

One of the best men I ever worked for told me " Don't come griping about the way I do things. Apparently you think you have a better way. Sit down and tell me your points and we'll discuss it, and try your way if possible and see which way works best. And we will do it that way from then forward." He was pretty smart and stood by his word. Bill Dancer with EDS Disaster Services.

Comment

If you aren't 5 minutes early, you're late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not so much advice, but my first boss out of College (he liked to give a hard time)

Boy, only raise you are going to get is the one you wake up with every morning and you P$ss that away first thing..."
                  He actually was a good boss, was in a rough industry (Beef Packing)

Comment

trust but verify

Comment

If you're going to do something wrong, you might as well do it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Early on I had a job as an assembly line supervisor over a bunch of women. Best advice my boss gave me was to "Hate them all. Some you can hate more than others but, you have to hate them all". I have carried this advice with me as I have managed large team of engineers. Treat everyone fairly and without prejudice.

Comment

"Work here 5 years and leave." My first boss told me that in the interview for my first job out of college. Very good advice.

Comment

"Don't make this weird, just leave and I won't call security"

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              Boss early on told me "I am very intolerant of my employees who don't have time to do a job correctly, but have time to do it over." Passed that jewel on to my soldiers each and every time I was in command or in charge.
                              We talk about the same concept around our office a lot..."If you don't have time to do it right in the first place, how are you going to find the time to fix it later?"

Comment

My dad used to tell me, "If there's no work to be done, I won't come looking for you. If there is work to be done, I better not have to come looking for you."

And then there was this one time, I was told, "Bill, you might want to make sure your resume is up to date."

Comment

Working...
                                X