Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

16-17 Childress/Cottle/Hardeman/Foard Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
    No deer in Wilbarger, the new owners of that big ranch ran them all off their property.
    EZ job for new owner. No deer to run off anyway.

Comment

I always look forward to this thread. I'm still at the same place in Cottle Co and really looking forward to this season. Been running feeders for the last 3 months, and will make one more trip to top them off before season, and then it's ON!

Comment

Fingers crossed for the few days I'll get to hunt in Cottle county.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by psicoo View Post
          Yep, that was my friend Marion. We've been hunting there over the past seventeen years.
          Wishing you guys a great hunting season. Lots of game in the area!
          It's a small world I guess. Maybe we will cross paths up there one of these days. Thanks and hope you guys have a good season as well.

Comment

I'll be up there Septenber 1st-5th trying to shoot the little gray birds!

Comment

Well I'm new to hunting. I took my first real hunting trip last year....and that was with a rifle. I grabbed a bow last summer and feel that I'm ready to give it a try. I just got off the phone where I booked a 4 day archery hunt in Cottle county. I can't tell you how excited I am. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.... Flinging arrows over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Incline View Post
                Well I'm new to hunting. I took my first real hunting trip last year....and that was with a rifle. I grabbed a bow last summer and feel that I'm ready to give it a try. I just got off the phone where I booked a 4 day archery hunt in Cottle county. I can't tell you how excited I am. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.... Flinging arrows over and over.

If you start bow hunting and have any success you might not gun hunt anymore. I just started bow hunting 6 years ago and now it's boring sitting 150 yards away in a blind with a gun. I'd rather sit there at 25 yards and hear all the sounds that all the animals make and be up close to them.
                I hope your hunt is a huge success. The deer should be in great shape this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Incline View Post

Incline, mind me asking who you booked through? I know an outfitter out there that has a great set up. You will enjoy that part of the state. We have been hunting up there for last 3 years now and just love it. Not as many deer as you will find in the hill country but there are some big boys if you can get them moving. The drought hurt us about 4-5 years ago but last 2-3 years have been really good. About 2 years away with continued good rain during summer of having some monsters.

Good luck, have fun!

Comment

Ready to get back out there and shoot some birds and finish blind prep for bow season!

Comment

Anybody made it up yet, I am heading out Saturday. Wanted to see if it is wet and what to expect on the muddy county roads

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                        Just curious about food plots in that area. Wanting to try putting something out, mainly like a killing plot, or holding spot. Small, like 1/4 to 1/2 ac in a few areas. Anyone have any luck w plots? Im not sure what the soil is like there, ph etc. Since the area got good Spring rains, the ground may be ok this year, hoping for Fall rains as well! If any experience, advice welcomed. Type, or mixtures, use of lime and fertilizer etc. All I see there is wheat, wondering if something diff might get their attention. Im not against wheat or oats, just willing to try something that will work well in that area. (Foard co., Crowell area). Thanks.
                        A plot that size will never amount to anything unfortunately. They will keep it eaten to dirt until its dead. I farm in cottle and hall county and it wasnt uncommon to have 50-100 deer on a field at a time prior to the drought.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
                          Anybody made it up yet, I am heading out Saturday. Wanted to see if it is wet and what to expect on the muddy county roads
                          I'm curious about road conditions 's also. Leaving Saturday morning with the family, going to do some work and hopefully kill a few birds.

Comment

Any birds flying up there? We are about to head up to Cottle county to do some work and hopefully drop some birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tap Tap... Is this thing on??
                              There's got to be somebody up in that area with a report...

Comment

Just got here. Plenty of fat birds flying nice and low!! They are attacking the Mojo tonight!! Set up next to a decent tank. Def coming to water tonight. Happy hunting. Love being out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X