Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because 7 8 9 ...

Comment

We need the OP to provide more information. Two questions. Can we get a picture of the whole worksheet? And what are the topics that have been taught recently?

I'm asking because there might be more instructions on the worksheet or in the lessons being taught--there might be a heading on the worksheet that indicates that this item is about some specific types of angles or perhaps that day's lesson was on adjacent or overlapping angles.

I'm not saying the teacher or the student is correct. I'm saying we don't know enough about the question and the content to know what's correct. Admittedly, the item should have been written to provide a more clear objective for the student.

Honestly, I would have answered 63 degrees because the problem did not specify point D as being interior to angle ABC. I would have assumed it was forming adjacent angles, not overlapping angles. But without additional information, we can't tell what's correct. If we only have what we're seeing in the picture, both answers should be given full credit.

Comment

Purple, because dinosaurs sont wear hats

Comment

And they expect 4th graders to figure this out...wow

Comment

2 words

STAAR preparation.

Mine is in 3rd and deal with this crap daily.

Comment

I've got 63

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                You know you HAVE to go talk to the teacher now and report back your learning's...and if she's hot, provide a picture.
                This missing part of the equation is probably the most important. Depending on the answer i may need to back to 4th grade for remedial education.

Comment

Poorly worded question in my opinion.

Credentials: 8 hours shy of Mechanical Engineering Degree, GPA: 3.89/4.0

Comment

Just wait till you see the 8th grade Science TEKS, they are stupid hard......

Comment

63 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                        63...the ray is outside the ABC angle.
                        This. Both of those angle share the ray C, so together they are the sum of both of the angles which is 63.

I've been teaching middle school math going on 16 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                          It didn't ask for the ray outside the ABC angle......it asked for the "shared" ray ABD. The shared ray is 17.
                          It did not ask for the shared ray. It stated that they share a ray so you can get the visual right. ABD is the angle that both ABC and CBD make together. So together they make 63

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            This is the correct drawing and answer

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                              This is the correct drawing and answer
                              Would the fact that it says they share a ray and that the ray forms ABD imply that the ray BD is inside of both of the previous angles, therefore making it a subtraction problem and it being 17?

Comment

my daughter says the answer is eleventeen! she is 2 and she knows everything, just ask her.

Comment

Working...
                                X