4th Grade Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
    It did not ask for the shared ray. It stated that they share a ray so you can get the visual right. ABD is the angle that both ABC and CBD make together. So together they make 63
    Nope - the shared ray of angle ABC and angle CBD is ray CB.

The ray BD can line "within" angle ABC or lie "outside" angle ABC with the constraints given in the problem.

Regardless if Ray BD is "inside" or "outside" angle ABC the Ray BC is shared and angle ABD is formed.

2 possible answers.

Comment

I've seen this type of question hundreds of times. No where in 4th grade math would they state the measure of two different angles and assume they overlap each other (like a lot of people have) without saying something about it. This type of question presented to a 4th grader would be given as a picture showing one angle measure. The question would say what's the measure of ABC if ABD is this.

Being the picture that the daughter had drawn is what you are saying....we know that they do not overlap or she would have been correct.

Comment

The sentence that lets you know that her drawing is wrong is this sentence. "The Angles share a ray and form ABD". BD has to be outside ABC for this to be true. If BD was drawn inside ABC, they wouldn't form ABD together.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
          The sentence that lets you know that her drawing is wrong is this sentence. "The Angles share a ray and form ABD". BD has to be outside ABC for this to be true. If BD was drawn inside ABC, they wouldn't form ABD together.
          It doesn't say they "have" to form ABD together - just that they form ABD.

I give up - I'm going to listen to my Rosetta Stone Manderin Lessons since I've lost faith in elementary school math.

Comment

Over 2000 views on a 4th grade math question. Goes to show our tenacity in not letting the next generation flounder. The good part about math, unlike politics, is it doesn't change the answer just because everyone wants it to change.

Tell us what the teacher said and we can all sleep in peace tonight.

JayB

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
              It doesn't say they "have" to form ABD together - just that they form ABD.

I give up - I'm going to listen to my Rosetta Stone Manderin Lessons since I've lost faith in elementary school math.
              It would be impossible to form ABD "together" if BD was inside of ABC. That would mean that BC isn't part of ABD which if has to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                this is correct - the problem states that they share a ray that forms ABD - The ray that she drew forms ABC instead of ABD

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                  It didn't ask for the ray outside the ABC angle......it asked for the "shared" ray ABD. The shared ray is 17.

They are sharing b-c. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                    this is correct - the problem states that they share a ray that forms ABD - The ray that she drew forms ABC instead of ABD
                    this 100%

Comment

I was lost when you used letters in Math! I have never figured out how you can convert letters to numbers.

Comment

ABC has an angle of 40°
                        CBD has an angle of 23°
                        The angles share a ray that forms ABD

The only ray they can share is the C; this is the only ray common to both angles ABC and CBD.

Regardless of what the teacher states, both 17° and 63° are correct answers; from a pure math perspective anyway.

IF the students were told not to nest angles then the correct answer would be 63°; but that is not stated in the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                          Either drawing is correct for this statement. In the daughters drawing the shared ray (C) is on the bottom and this does indeed form an ABD angle. It does not state whether D is an outside ray or not; it just states that it forms an ABD angle, which hers does.

Comment

Only on TBH can a 4th grade math problem turn into a nerd fight. You guys need to lighten up the pocket protectors and have a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                              Regardless of what the teacher states, both 17° and 63° are correct answers; from a pure math perspective anyway.

IF the students were told not to nest angles then the correct answer would be 63°; but that is not stated in the problem.
                              Exactly. Look at the whole worksheet/workbook or what the lessons were for that day/week. Otherwise, given what's only in the snapshot, 17° and 63° should be given credit.

...unless the overall topic of the worksheet was reflex angles. (It's a joke)

Comment

Its a left handed Polar Bear holding Pepsi.

Comment

Working...
                                X