No announcement yet.

2016 garden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just went out and checked on our little garden. I can't believe the growth and well over a dozen blooms on the squash already!

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
      My squash and zucchini plants kicking but . Asparagus producing ok . Bed is only 2 years old . Onions and garlic sprouting good .Still to wet to till my rows for okra and beets carrots
      Could you post a pic of your asparagus bed. I just started mine this year and would like to see what to expect.
      Thanks,
      D

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
        This is my first year in several years to plant potatoes. I put them in the ground the first week or so of March. I planted onions at the same time and the onions look to be doing great, but I am not getting any visible growth from the potatoes. Are any of yall having potato growth yet?

Yes Sir...we planted ours around the middle of February. I'll try to post pics later today.

Comment

Just finished tilling mine, going to hit it again tomorrow or the next day, only planting tomatoes, cucumbers, and lots of peppers.

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
            Yes Sir...we planted ours around the middle of February. I'll try to post pics later today.

Potatoes and onions...should be planting the remainder in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Glad you'all can plant. The reason you do not do that up here now is because it was 27 on Friday morning and below freezing on Saturday morning. Lost way to many plants and gardens trying to plant to early.

Comment

Layed about 4 inches of organic compost on top of my garden today and tilled it in. Was going to plant this afternoon but think I am going to wait until Thursday. Waiting on warmer nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Glad you'all can plant. The reason you do not do that up here now is because it was 27 on Friday morning and below freezing on Saturday morning. Lost way to many plants and gardens trying to plant to early.

I hear you, learned a lesson this year. Most likely going to lose my green beans and squash to this cool weather. My onions and peas don't seem to mind it though

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
                    Well Luke, I cmr home after being gone this week and I found my taters have sprouted rather nicely. I need to get them fertilized this week, and I hope they produce. As of now, after the cold weather we've had I think all will be fine.

Comment

I sure can . Will have to do it tomorrow. I did make it to small plan to chance it up .

Comment

Mine is all in and going well. 7 tomatoes, lots of onions, aspergillus, auger snap peas, garlic, potatoes, green beans, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini, and jalapeƱos. I have lots of herbs and some swis chard and lettuce as well. I need to do a couple of the strawberry towers also those look good.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post

Garlic and these green onions are going nuts.

These little pods showed up recently. What are they?

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-
                          cdn.com/20160316/7a0de1f84ad40da840baca760c6012cc.jpg[/IMG]

Your Onion's bolted. You can break it off as low as possible. It is a seed pod. It happens due to stress.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                            Well Luke, I cmr home after being gone this week and I found my taters have sprouted rather nicely. I need to get them fertilized this week, and I hope they produce. As of now, after the cold weather we've had I think all will be fine.

That's great! Hopefully we will continue to receive rain.

Comment

Did anyone lose anything to the cold weather last night? I hope everyone's plants made it through ok. It was 28 here at day break.

All I've got planted is potatoes and onions but I know a lot of people around here who'd planted their whole gardens because it had been so warm. I'm too old school, I just can't plant before Easter. I try to wait at least 1-2 weeks after Easter because we always seems to get that one last freeze or frost that sneaks up on us. I sure didn't see a 28 degree morning coming this year after all the warm weather but it happens every year! Honestly, as late as I plant I've still had to dodge several freezes and get everything covered, that is NO fun.

Loving all the pics in the thread.

Comment

A couple of my basil plants have frost damage but everything else appears to have survived the light frost we got here in DFW

Comment

Working...
                                X