Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 garden thread

Originally posted by topshot View Post
    I'd like to share my overwinter garden. I have 1 year old strawberry plants I started from seeds last spring that are doing quite well.

I also have apps 20 head of cabbage, broccoli, plenty of lettuce, sage, sweet snow peas and regrowth onions doing well. I did not plant any seeds yet this year as we are planning to sell the house and have a dozen projects occupying my time, hopefully I can get in cucumber, melon, squash once the weather warms a bit.

I got tired of rotted strawberries and changed to a vertical planter instead. 54 plants and already a few cups of strawberries. I took free 6" pvc and drilled 1.5" holes. Transplanted plants from garden and already have more strawberries than all of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
      I got tired of rotted strawberries and changed to a vertical planter instead. 54 plants and already a few cups of strawberries. I took free 6" pvc and drilled 1.5" holes. Transplanted plants from garden and already have more strawberries than all of last year.

Nice, i'm glad its working for you.

I built a 4' tall cedar tower with a drip line and hose connection for my strawberries last year but found the soil dried out too fast and the root systems were too long (poked through the opposite side). it was 6" square x 4' tall.

Comment

This is my first year in several years to plant potatoes. I put them in the ground the first week or so of March. I planted onions at the same time and the onions look to be doing great, but I am not getting any visible growth from the potatoes. Are any of yall having potato growth yet?

Comment

Our little garden is looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
            This is my first year in several years to plant potatoes. I put them in the ground the first week or so of March. I planted onions at the same time and the onions look to be doing great, but I am not getting any visible growth from the potatoes. Are any of yall having potato growth yet?
            I planted taters, onions and garlic around the same time. All are up and doing good. The potatoes are 4-6 inches tall now.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
              Nice, i'm glad its working for you.

I built a 4' tall cedar tower with a drip line and hose connection for my strawberries last year but found the soil dried out too fast and the root systems were too long (poked through the opposite side). it was 6" square x 4' tall.
              Uh oh. I built one like you described. I hope it works

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                I did potatoes but in 5 gallon buckets. Mine are definitely growing, especially with the rain we had this last week. Will have to add more soil soon

Comment

Garlic and these green onions are going nuts.

These little pods showed up recently. What are they?

Comment

Seeds, your onions are done growing. Whatever you have now is what youre going to have

Comment

Wife's little garden in Centerville

We planted a bunch in boxes today here in kingwood

Comment

Our little garden to take shape. Thats the first of four rows I made. Going to put the plants in the ground this afternoon.

Comment

first time we have had a garden

Comment

I added a couple more large tomato cages, homemade cages for the peppers and fencing as a trellis for the peas, berries and cucumbers.

Comment

I can't wait to get home tomorrow and see how mine is going.

Comment

My squash and zucchini plants kicking but . Asparagus producing ok . Bed is only 2 years old . Onions and garlic sprouting good .Still to wet to till my rows for okra and beets carrots

Comment

Working...
                                X