No announcement yet.

2016 garden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife and I are doing our first garden ever. I bought a 4'x8' cedar kit from home depot and got it all set up last weekend. We planted squash, zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes (roma and cherry) and watermelon. We already have sprouts on the squash, zucchini, cucumber and watermelon. Will post a picture of the setup shortly.

Comment

Comment

I lost some peas due to the high winds all weekend. It was like a CAT 3 pounding the garden all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
          Did anyone lose anything to the cold weather last night? I hope everyone's plants made it through ok. It was 28 here at day break.

All I've got planted is potatoes and onions but I know a lot of people around here who'd planted their whole gardens because it had been so warm. I'm too old school, I just can't plant before Easter. I try to wait at least 1-2 weeks after Easter because we always seems to get that one last freeze or frost that sneaks up on us. I sure didn't see a 28 degree morning coming this year after all the warm weather but it happens every year! Honestly, as late as I plant I've still had to dodge several freezes and get everything covered, that is NO fun.

Loving all the pics in the thread.

Same here...potatoes and onions only. We usually plant the remainder during the first couple of weeks in April.

Comment

Had to cover everything the last two nights, Had heavy frost! All looks like they survived!

Comment

Heavy frost in the Rendon area last 2 nights as well. I had everything covered up, everything looks good and ready for some more sunshine.

Comment

Super glad I found this thread. I'm going to be starting a little garden(ish) in my yard for the first time this year to get my feet wet. I'm going to do all raised beds, though, because I don't think my landlord wants me tilling up his yard, and the dog would ruin it anyway. Plan is to do carrots in one, pumpkins, a cactus (prickly pear), and some peppers. Easy stuff to get me started - looking forward to pointers.

Comment

Freeze wiped us out last night, 28 when I left the house this morning and a heavy frost on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
                    Super glad I found this thread. I'm going to be starting a little garden(ish) in my yard for the first time this year to get my feet wet. I'm going to do all raised beds, though, because I don't think my landlord wants me tilling up his yard, and the dog would ruin it anyway. Plan is to do carrots in one, pumpkins, a cactus (prickly pear), and some peppers. Easy stuff to get me started - looking forward to pointers.
                    our dogs got into the raised bed anyway. We put together an enclosure from pvc and plastic netting to keep them and birds out.

I was kicking myself for not planting 2 weekends ago, since i was occupied this past one. Turned out for the best given the little cold snap. Probably going to be a project for Easter wknd now.

Comment

I've got sweet corn growing, rows and rows of potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, onions and peas. The pics below are of one plot with four 50ft rows of potatoes, buckwheat for my bees and clover for soil improvement. The second pic of just of my potatoes. The last pic is of my first sweet corn planting using skip till method.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Potatoes sprouting out of my potatoe tower, already have a couple of cherry tomatoes coming on.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just got home to check the garden, looks like I lost all my squash and green beans to the frost. I'll have to dig the out and re-seed soon. Not to bummed about it since they both sprouted fast when I first planted them.

Luckily I still have these in the house. Jalepenos, Anaheim peppers, Roma tomatoes, pinto beans and cilantro.

My onions seem to be ok and my potatoes haven't sprouted yet. I made the wife a king bed frame last weekend and I'm thinking of using the extra wood to makes some raised beds for watermelon and strawberries.

Comment

My wife kept a couple of cherry tomato plants going all winter long by covering them during the few cold spells we had. She didn't cover them last night , but luckily I was able to spray them down this morning and save them from the frost we had. Saved them and the couple of celebrity plants which I planted about a month ago which already have a few tomatoes on them.

Comment

Last week I put in cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, serranos, zucchini, and sugar baby watermelon

Comment

I lost about 90% of what I planted with this last wind an rain storm, I was able to buy a couple of tomatoes to replenish some of what I lost. Should plant them today

Comment

Working...
                                X