No announcement yet.

That moment when......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another moment was I was at somerville lake and it was low!! so low that only one or two ramps were open. I tried to load up where I launched only to find out it was to shallow to load up. next choice was across the lake. A buddy drove the truck as I took the boat. As I was trying to load a college age guy came up in a little flat bottom boat with a drop dead gorgeous bikini clad girl with him, oh and he had a huge lab in the boat. Well my buddy was manning the winch as I was trying to help with the boat motor to get the boat on the trailer, it was a cluster to say the least. Well the lab decides to bail before the flat bottom reaches the bank, no problem except for the fact the drivers door to my brand new truck with less than 200 miles on it was open. The guy is screaming at the lab to come back, all the lab heard was " load up " so in my truck he went. In the front seat, in the back seat, again and again ready to ride. Mud, sand, water, wet dog smell all in the new truck! I just sat back and laughed at the whole cluster, however, it didn't hurt that is was actually the girls dog and she insisted on apologizing and telling me how sorry she was....... or something like that, when she came running up i went deaf.

Comment

Got another one for you guys.

Same boat, same lake, and still an hour drive. Decided the day before that I was gonna do some fishing. So I prep everything that night. Lifejackets, batteries fully charged, gear in the boat. The works.

Get up, get coffee and head out. I get to the boat ramp and get everything ready to launch. Plug...check, removed the straps...check, prime the gas bulb, make sure all required safety gear...check. Here we go!

I back the boat in the water and hop in the boat. I sit in the seat and at that moment I realized I left the boat keys on the counter. Right where I put them so I wouldn't forget them. Sheeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by texanatc View Post
        Got another one for you guys.

Same boat, same lake, and still an hour drive. Decided the day before that I was gonna do some fishing. So I prep everything that night. Lifejackets, batteries fully charged, gear in the boat. The works.

Get up, get coffee and head out. I get to the boat ramp and get everything ready to launch. Plug...check, removed the straps...check, prime the gas bulb, make sure all required safety gear...check. Here we go!

I back the boat in the water and hop in the boat. I sit in the seat and at that moment I realized I left the boat keys on the counter. Right where I put them so I wouldn't forget them. Sheeesh.
        I do almost the same thing almost weekly. I will sit something in front of the door so I will not forget it. then on the way out I will move it out of the way to load something else and leave it right where it sits. Now about 50% of the time I will walk the extra 10 steps to put it in the truck.

Comment

I bought plugs and wires for my Tacoma not long after I bought it. Got back to the shop and took out the plugs and gapped them. I opened the box of wires and there were only 3 wires. I called the parts house and told them some one must have taken 3 wires out as I only had 3 wires. He asked if I had opened the hood yet and I told him no. He said open the hood and I'd be fine. I asked if he thought I was an idiot as I only had 3 wires but 6 plugs. He said yes, you are an idiot, and then screamed, open the **** hood. Huh, who knew, only 3 wires.

Comment

That moment when......

Seems most of these involve boats. Besides the typical forgot to put the plug in and undo the trailer straps, I've got a few more to add.

I used to put the plug in from the outside of my boat simply because it was easier to get to instead of reaching down between gas tanks etc. Well...Last summer I was in the middle of the lake pulling my brother on a tube with a few other people in the boat. I made a turn only to hear a loud pop and the sound of water gushing in my boat. The rope had got caught on the plug and popped it out when I turned. Luckily I had a bilge pump and a spare plug but boy did she start sinking quick! I now put the plug in from the inside.

Also last year, I put in at Sabine pass and made the short run to the jetties. halfway in the ship channel my boat dies. Brand new motor btw. I panic and get on the trolling motor to get out of the way. It acted like it was starving for gas but I had new lines and a full tank. After about 30 minutes of cussing and trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with this new motor I realized that I had hooked the gas fitting in backwards, sucking in air instead of gas. Felt like an idiot. Glad only my brother was with me!

I know there's more but I try to forget [emoji3]

Comment

Years ago we were camping at inks lake SP. We needed some ice so went to the park store to get some. I had my learners permit and wanted to drive my mom went with me since my dad was gettin ready to cook. Jumped in the truck and went to the store got ice and got drove back up to the campsite this is where things went wrong. The truck was backed in before so decided I was going to back it in like it was before we left. I pulled past the driveway deal and turned the wheel all the way and started to back up before ever looking into the mirrors I made it about 5 feet when the back end just dropped. I was now looking at the sky and then I looked at my mom and said why weren't you watching where I was going. I ended up backing off into a drainage ditch the had a cement wall off the edge of the road. My dad heard it happen and come running up and just shook his head. I could tell he was mad but he kept his cool. He asked how in the he** am I suppose to get the truck out of here. Couldn't go forward because the back tires weren't touching the ground. We put it in 4X4 and my dad barely turned the wheel and went back and forth until it was over enough that he could drive up the slope away from the drainage pipe. He took it for a test drive and it started to shake really really bad at about 50mph. I ended up bending the drive shaft so we had to go 45mph all the way from inks to San Antonio while pulling a boat. Talk about a long drive. The good thing is I learned to use my mirrors when backing up

Comment

Been there more than once.

Comment

as stated in another thread I wish I was mechanically inclined, but I have come to realize I'm just not. I was at my buddy's house and he was working on his truck so I thought I would tinker around with mine...... Started off by just cleaning the inside, detailing, have a beer, listening to music BS'n back and forth. I decided to raise the hood and started wiping down under the hood and then decided I would change in the oil....... long story short I ended up pouring 6 quarts of oil down the driveway..... (forgot to put the drain plug back in). I felt a total idiot.

and the doggy/bird door is the funniest thing Ive ever heard ! LOL
                  Last edited by Texas8point; 02-29-2016, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    Not me! If they ain't no witnesses everything goes great and I'm the smartest man in the world.

Lol

This man gets it

Comment

Another boat one. Winter time cat fishing at Canyon lake is usually really good. So I go out on a cold cold day. Highs in the 30's, but no wind, so I figured I'd give it a try. I back the boat down the ramp, and you guessed it, the boat slides off the trailer and goes floating out into the lake. I literally stripped down to my underwear and swim out to get it. I sat in my truck for an hour with the heater on high warming up. Put all my clothes back on and went fishing! Caught a ton of fish too! I don't think anyone saw this either.

Comment

Just thought of a " boat " thing. there was a group of us boys from 15 to 17 years old. One of the guys talked his dad in to letting us take the boat to the lake. I had backed up and hooked up to the trailer about that time the dad walked out and started to show us all the safety stuff, checking tire pressure, checking lights, make sure the boat was tied down. Well he looked down and saw we didn't have the safety chains hooked ( nobody used safety chains back then ) and made us do that also. On the way to the lake we were all making fun of him for going over all of these things like we were some kind of kids who didn't know anything. We had to cross a set of railroad track just before we got to the lake, just as we were crossing BAM!!!!! all hell broke loose behind us, I hit the brakes and BAM!!!! the trailer hit my bumper. we got it pulled over and discovered at the point that there are more than one size of ball hitch. the trailer was 2 inch and my truck had a 1 7/8 ball. No real damage done and needless to say we didn't make fun of the guys dad anymore about the safety chains.

Comment

Been there and done that with the saw. Only I had another older man working with me and he never said a word, until I realized the brake was set. Then he offered his advice and keeping it simple to start with. Well, I am young enough to get away with a few minor hickups,... as long as not to many people see them.

Comment

When I was about 17 I was ranch handing for a guy. He had taken a tractor into town for new tires and brought it back and left it on the trailer. I had a hot date or something that evening but needed to go feed cows before I left. Hauled butt up to the barn unhooked tie downs on the tractor and fired it up. Threw it in reverse and was lining up with the ramps. When the weight of the tractor got behind the axles of the deckover gooseneck I realized I probably should have hooked a truck backup to the trailer. Front of the trailer popped up so I throw it in forward and drive back up to the front of the trailer. Problem was the barn and trailer were up on a decent little hill. I got the front of the trailer back down, but it was already too late, we were headed down hill and picking up speed. I look behind me and we are headed right towards the pipe corrals. I'm thinking about how much this could hurt and weather I should bail off or not. Right about the time I decide I'm not gonna ride it out and getting ready to jump, I hit some pipes laying on the ground. Fortunately it turned the trailer just enough to redirect the path to the trap were all the hay was stacked. That oughta soften the blow I'm in for the ride. Tore up about 30 yards of fence and busted about 10 round bales, but tractor and trailer were unscathed. Boss was sitting on his back porch watching the whole thing unfold. I seen him driving to where I was and thinking I was about to get fired. He gets out of the truck laughing about the hardest I ever seen him laugh. With head hung low I apologize while he is still laughing, I finally get the courage to ask what was so funny. He catches his breath enough to ask me if I really thought pumping the breaks on the tractor the whole time was going to help. Apparently just out of instinct I was wearing them tractor brakes out most of the ride. I kept my job and after some fence repairs we had some good laughs about it. Hindsight I should of just kept on coming off the trailer, and it would have had a better outcome.
                            Last edited by fulmer34; 02-29-2016, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Glad I don't own a boat.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X