Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

That moment when......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
    He said whompie jawed......
    LOL
    LOL! should I have said " cockeyed, Annie P whistling, cattywampus, toe up from the flo up, looked like a soup sammich, something about a monkey and a football, I thought it was a pretty good description

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
      Yep put the boat in on San Jacinto river at a busy ramp and drove it the pier to go park my truck. Parked truck and walked over hill to see the bow and some of the motor. No plug. Turned on bilge and waited til she floated.

The other was putting my boat in at the bay and In a hurry could not understand why the boat would not float. Yep freaking straps on the back still on.

We all learn at some point.
      Saw a guy at the lake do the same exact thing. His wife was trying to back the boat in, he was plenty deep enough to launch ( as I was right beside him launching my bigger deeper running boat I had to ask ( because he was so mad and taking it out on his wife ) Hey bud, are your sure the tie downs are off? after about 30 seconds he told his wife PULL UP!!! last I saw the wife was in the boat and launched it as he burned rubber all the way up the ramp. His wife looked at me and said, " this is why I hate to fish"

Comment

At 69 years old, I've done everyone of these except standing on the plywood and the spark plug thing. Chain saw brake at least three times, although I never tore it apart. The first outboard I ever had with a kill switch lanyard gave me fits on a few occasions before I figured out what it was. Glad to see I'm not by myself !

The best one, though it wasn't too funny at the time, was when I was launching the boat with my little girl years ago. Steep boat ramp and not much compression in the old 352. Emergency brake didn't work well in the old Ford, so I told her to hold the brake while I got the boat off the trailer. As she passed me going backwards I realized she had pushed the clutch. I jumped for the brake pedal and finally got her stopped as the water was closing in on the bottom of the door. It was a miracle that it started up. Guess there wasn't time enough for the muffler to get full of water. Close call !

Comment

That's kinda like when you are kicking the tires on the 4 wheeler and cussing like a sailor because it won't start. Then your buddy walks up and flips the kill switch!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
            you feel so stupid that you slowly look up and around to see if anyone saw you.

I will share mine from yesterday. I was about to pick up where I left off last weekend cleaning fence line, got out of the ranger, picked up the chain saw and made sure it was full of gas and bar oil and started it up. ( first pull, should have know it was going to be bad ) I gave it a little gas, it bogged down and the chain was not turning. I did all of the usual looking at it from every direction thing and could see anything wrong. I kill it grab the chain and it is STUCK!! I can't get it to move. So back to the barn, pull the bar cover only to find nothing that could be causing this. Now I am thinking the clutch must be froze up, so I pull the cover grab the cog with a set of pliers and get it to move a little, but not freely. Take a screwdriver and start working the springs on the clutch, all working fine. Check the needle bearings, all good. I am about to give up when I notice the cover around the clutch is sitting a little whompie jawed........ then it hit me! After an hour of jacking with this thing, and parts scattered everywhere I realize that some how the chain break was on. I don't know when I could have hit the guard to activate it, but that was the whole problem. All I could do was laugh at my self and carry on.

Anyone else care to share their " OMG " moments?
            I have done this same thing before.

Comment

been there

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
              you feel so stupid that you slowly look up and around to see if anyone saw you.

I will share mine from yesterday. I was about to pick up where I left off last weekend cleaning fence line, got out of the ranger, picked up the chain saw and made sure it was full of gas and bar oil and started it up. ( first pull, should have know it was going to be bad ) I gave it a little gas, it bogged down and the chain was not turning. I did all of the usual looking at it from every direction thing and could see anything wrong. I kill it grab the chain and it is STUCK!! I can't get it to move. So back to the barn, pull the bar cover only to find nothing that could be causing this. Now I am thinking the clutch must be froze up, so I pull the cover grab the cog with a set of pliers and get it to move a little, but not freely. Take a screwdriver and start working the springs on the clutch, all working fine. Check the needle bearings, all good. I am about to give up when I notice the cover around the clutch is sitting a little whompie jawed........ then it hit me! After an hour of jacking with this thing, and parts scattered everywhere I realize that some how the chain break was on. I don't know when I could have hit the guard to activate it, but that was the whole problem. All I could do was laugh at my self and carry on.

Anyone else care to share their " OMG " moments?
              My chainsaw manual actually says start with brake on, but if you try to rev it up like that clutch starts grabbing and smoke will follow, I don't start with brake on anymore.
              Years ago, one Saturday, I got all enthusiastic and decided to get my old Chevy pickup all tuned up, oil and filter, plugs, points, air filter, I mean get the old girl in shape. So I get all this stuff did, alright, let's fire this baby up.
              Hit the key, and HOLY S**T, hear terrible racket, see something whirling around by radiator, turn it off and jump out to see what in the hell. It was summer and hot, I had a towel to wipe the sweat out of eyes while fixing her up, and SOMEBODY dropped the towel on the fan. Ripped out all the vacuum hoses up there, and tore the hose neck out of the radiator. GOOD JOB DUDE.

Comment

These are great, glad to see I have company. Nothing better than laughing at your self!

Comment

I launched my dads bass boat by myself at Walsh boat ramp on lake austin many many moons ago. There was a very strong norther blowing. I tripled checked everything - plug, kill switch, key. Slowly backed into position. Then decided to u hook the front strap before backing all the way in. You guessed it, I was inching back, applied the brake which jolted hard on the sick ramp and foecefulky pushed the boat off the into the lake. The wind immediately caught the boat and down the lake it went. Of course, not a single boat in sight. Before it was completely gone, I decided I was going to jump for it. I went up the bank, ran as hard as I could and jumped. About 1/2 to the boat I realized it was a terrible idea and tried to abort,which was an even worse idea. I nailed the side do the boat which dumped me into a very cold lake Austin. Mercifully as I was gasping to catch my breath, I got my feet under me. I was standing in waste deep water. I calmly guided the boat to the dock and tied it off. Not a sole in sight.

Comment

While pulling my boat out of Lake Pinkston I locked my keys and my dog in my pickup.
                    Pickup was running. Busted out vent window to get in only to find out I should have saved money by busting out the windshield.

Comment

When I was younger I got off work and was in a hurry to get to the lake. I hurried up and hitched my boat and took off. I got on the main road and headed out. Something in my side mirror catches my attention and all I can do is watch my bass boat try and pass me. I can see traffic coming a ways up so all I can think of is oh no they are gonna crash into this boat which is doing a pretty good job of staying in its lane. Only thing I could do was swerve quickly to the left and knock it into the ditch before the on coming cars got there. I knocked it quickly off its course into the ditch and got back in my lane. In my haste I had forgotten to push the tongue lock down. Funny now Not so funny then not to mention expensive

Comment

Asked my wife if she's seen my phone I'm looking all over the place. I was talking to her on it!

Comment

Tonight at the boat ramp at Rebecca's Creek on the Guadalupe at canyon. If you ever put in there, you know it's squirmy at best. So I'm ready to pull out, put it in 4 wheel drive, pop the the brake and gun it!! Only I don't go anywhere except slide down the ramp 6" or so. Pucker factor was high, until I looked down and saw that I was still in park, doh!!

Comment

Had a new deputy make stop at 4 am or so. His wife was dispatch. I was a sgt. he called in on the air that his car would not shift. She told him to step on the brake. opps

Comment

A buddy and I trailered his father-in-laws brand new inboard/outboard to Texoma and he backed it into the lake with me in the boat. We still argue about this years later - he claims he shouted " did you put in the plug?" while I swear he said "I put in the plug". This ended very badly...

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                                I launched my dads bass boat by myself at Walsh boat ramp on lake austin many many moons ago. There was a very strong norther blowing. I tripled checked everything - plug, kill switch, key. Slowly backed into position. Then decided to u hook the front strap before backing all the way in. You guessed it, I was inching back, applied the brake which jolted hard on the sick ramp and foecefulky pushed the boat off the into the lake. The wind immediately caught the boat and down the lake it went. Of course, not a single boat in sight. Before it was completely gone, I decided I was going to jump for it. I went up the bank, ran as hard as I could and jumped. About 1/2 to the boat I realized it was a terrible idea and tried to abort,which was an even worse idea. I nailed the side do the boat which dumped me into a very cold lake Austin. Mercifully as I was gasping to catch my breath, I got my feet under me. I was standing in waste deep water. I calmly guided the boat to the dock and tied it off. Not a sole in sight.
                                Almost saw the same thing, except the poor guy unhooked everything from his boat, about half way down he almost jack knifed it. he wanted to correct his lack of backing skills before anyone saw it, put in drive and hit the gas, everything but the boat went back up the ramp. the boat slid right off the trailer and was sitting high and dry on the ramp.

Comment

Working...
                                X