Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shocked when someone can't gut a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to always gut mine because that's how my grandpa and dad showed me. Now I just let the entrails drop with the chest cavity after I yank the tenderloins.

Although as a kid, I never thought the gutting part was the worst. To me, it was cutting around the anus haha. Actually, that's still the grossest part.

Comment

Originally posted by krtnorris View Post
      Only when I have to drag.
      This^^^ Which is every time I kill a deer or pig.
      Public land hunting requires a little walking to get away from "Walkers"

Plus its always a challenge between my friends and I to see who can do it the fastest without cutting yourself or the paunch!!
      Last edited by Texar; 10-07-2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        I have an extremely weak stomach. I hate to gut a deer but I do it. Guess that makes me a pansy to some. Oh well.
        Weak stomach here also but get the job done. Have a hard time around crap, vomit and gut shot animals, makes me start gagging. I just stuff tissue up my nose when dealing with those things and get after it.
        Not sure how it happened but somewhere in 20s it happened. Wish I could get back to the days where it didnt bother me.

Comment

If you are new, I will do the first one. If you are a newbie, you can help. After about 3, it's all you, unless it's a group effort. Usually I can do it quicker by myself.

Now somebody just not wanting to take care of their own animals? Not acceptable.

Comment

I've yet to meet the person who came out of the womb with a gutting knife, knowing what to do. IOW, we all had to learn at some point. Some folks wait until they need to.

I didn't gut a deer until my first one, so if it's a person's first deer, IMO they get a pass. Now if they have killed a few and still don't know what to do, then shame on them.

Comment

Skin it with legs up, cut off shoulders, backstraps, neck, trim meat off ribs and brisket, then small cut to reach in and pull out tenderloins. Then I split the hip bone, cut off ea hindquarter and then cut my hip roast off. No gutting!

Comment

I don't gut either... Not because I cant, just because there is no need in it. As stated before I can get the tenderloins without having to gut

Comment

Takes me about three minutes to gut one. Never thought much about it. But we have to have a field dressed weight.

Comment

We used to have a well-to-do city boy friend that started hunting later in life because me & my buddy did. He had the finest equipment & gear, but was a terrible shot. We were hunting pronghorns in Wyoming about 10 years ago on a self guided deal and he told the ranch hand he'd give him $100 to field dress his gut-shot goat. My buddy and I told him we'd give him $100 not to.

Comment

I am assuming you guys that use the "no gut" method are processing your own? I gut mine because I'm just going to put it in the truck and take it to town ASAP to get it in the processors walk-in.

Comment

I learned to clean them hanging from back legs and gutting many years ago. I would clean all the deer at camp and got very good at it.
                        I got a doe last weekend and did not have to clean it. My stepson and son cleaned it for me while I cooked dinner. One of the finer things to past down to your sons.

Comment

I gut one a year now and when my boy starts in a few years I should be down to 0 a year![/QUOTE]

Yes sir this is my goal in life....Kinda like mowing the yard......

Comment

I'm not the greatest at gutting or skinning, but I can get it done. It's always miserable doing it in front of someone who can gut and skin the thing in 5 minutes. Gutting an skinning is like riding a bike, but if you don't do it but once a year, you're always kind of wobbly...

Comment

we have a walk-in cooler at our camp... so I just hang and skin it at camp

Comment

My aggie degree is in wildlife biology. You can tell a lot about health if you know what you're looking at. I always do..

Comment

Working...
                                X