Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shocked when someone can't gut a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell my nephew gets 20 bucks a deer for cleaning and quartering them on the lease hell he made almost 400.00 Sat and Sun

Comment

you guys shot 20 deer in a weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        A quick cut or two to the membrane attached to the pelvic area and the guts will sink enough to make room to snag them

Sometimes don't even have to cut the membrane

And yes the deer is cut open while hanging but it's minimal and not gutted incase you were thinking no cuts were made. (To clear up any confusion)
        Yep. This!

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
          I never gut a deer. No need to IMO.
          ^^^^ this, I can knock the bark off one, quarter it up, and have it in the cooler quicker than most people can gut one.

I did work for a taxidermist and a deer processor in high school though...

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I am assuming you guys that use the "no gut" method are processing your own? I gut mine because I'm just going to put it in the truck and take it to town ASAP to get it in the processors walk-in.
            if you will take the time to quarter it up before you bring it in it will save you 10-20$ at most of the processors around me

Comment

There are a couple of reasons to gut a deer.

If for some reason I take it a processor, I'll gut it....or they charge me. (rare)

If I kill a deer at night and its cold, I'll gut it real quick, let it hang so I can get on to the whiskey, food and celebration.(very often)

Started using the no gut method last year on deer I quarter immediately. Its nice not to have to jack with the guts but either way is cool with me.

Comment

What killed me was in camp last year some younger guy grabbed his knife and went to town on my deer. He wanted to, did a great job, but I felt useless. Someone doing a MY job just don't sit well with me.

...I tipped him 20 bucks. Err, dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
                  if you will take the time to quarter it up before you bring it in it will save you 10-20$ at most of the processors around me

If on the rare occurrence, I take it to the processor, it is only to save on the work/time. If I am going to the work to quarter it up, I'll just process it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    If on the rare occurrence, I take it to the processor, it is only to save on the work/time. If I am going to the work to quarter it up, I'll just process it myself.
                    I have been wanting to get the equipment to start doing my own... just never have.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      I am assuming you guys that use the "no gut" method are processing your own? I gut mine because I'm just going to put it in the truck and take it to town ASAP to get it in the processors walk-in.
                      Ill take one or two deer to the processor, and do the rest myself. But I still quarter them when I bring them in- and I certainly don't drop off the tenderloins and backstraps

Comment

On the original OPs question, I will give a buddy a little flack but I also realize there are folks out there that didn't have Dads that introduced them to hunting or make them gut their first deer with their help, so I take it easy on them.

Now if I get a blowhard TTHA type super hunter that doesn't know he gets a good ribbin' and knocked down a few rungs off his high rack.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
                          I have been wanting to get the equipment to start doing my own... just never have.

Its rewarding and I know its my deer. Heck with some processing prices these days, you can pay for your equipment in a few deer.

Comment

gutless method

Originally posted by westexasagent View Post
                            Where can I find this info on NOT having to gut the deer?
                            Do a search on youtube for gutless method. There are a pile of videos on it.

Comment

I enjoy showing new or unexperienced hunters how to gut, skin, cape, quarter, & process game.

Or if I get back to camp and someone is working on a deer, I'll jump in and lend a hand.

For me it’s just part of the camaraderie of hunting camp.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                                Hang the deer, skin the deer, cut the straps out, front shoulders off, cut the neck meat off if you keep it. Cut a hole in the meat where the tenderloins areand reach in and get them. Cut the spine and let the carcass with guts still inside fall to the ground.
                                This ^. After I remove the back straps I cut a small hole right below the last rib just big enough for my hand right next to the backbone. Then just reach in and grab them. One guy on our lease saw me do it this way. Then I had to show everyone on the lease how I did it. Now they all do it this way. I never have been able to cook the ribs where they are any good and there are to many other good parts on a deer than to eat the guts.

Comment

Working...
                                X