Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shocked when someone can't gut a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 150class View Post
    I've became that way also

Makes it much cleaner and easier
    I am the same way now. And I wonder why I ever went through the hassle of gutting one before!

Comment

No gutting here either.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
        Im guessing he just takes the 4 quarters and backstrap.
        You can get the tenderloins out without gutting it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
          You can get the tenderloins out without gutting it as well.
          How?

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
            I never gut a deer. No need to IMO.
            I can see not gutting them if you aren't a fan of using the heart, you can just leave the guts in the chest cavity.

Comment

I don't gut mine either, and I clean 30-40 deer a year (ranch manager). I get everything including the tenderloins every time.

Comment

Same here. Always surprised when I see people putting in the work to gut them.

I've been practicing how to get the tenderloins through the ribs. Other wise I cut just about 6" from the pelvis towards the 'belly button' and reach in and grab them. Just be careful when getting the backstraps to not poke between any ribs.

Only reason for me to gut one is if I want to see the broadhead damage, or retrieve a broadhead. I'm going to try some heart this year as well.
                Last edited by Patton; 10-07-2015, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                  How?
                  A quick cut or two to the membrane attached to the pelvic area and the guts will sink enough to make room to snag them

Sometimes don't even have to cut the membrane

And yes the deer is cut open while hanging but it's minimal and not gutted incase you were thinking no cuts were made. (To clear up any confusion)

Comment

I have gutted a few. Only because I sometimes hunt where I cant get my ranger or a 4 wheeler to that spot, and gutting it makes it easier to drag.
                    Otherwise, I see no need to gut one.

Comment

A quick cut or two to the membrane attached to the pelvic area and the guts will sink enough to make room to snag them

And yes the deer is cut open while hanging but it's minimal and not gutted invade you were thinking no cuts were made. (To clear up any confusion)
                      Yup.

Comment

I used to not gut my deer for years up until about 10 years ago when a buddy of mine introduced me to tenderloins. I was always raised to just take the quarters and backstraps. Started hunting when I was 6 years old and gutted my first deer when I was 22. Now I gut every deer. I still like to gut them hanging simply because it is much easier than in the field.

Comment

And yes the deer is cut open while hanging but it's minimal and not gutted invade you were thinking no cuts were made. (To clear up any confusion)
                          Thanks - I'll have to try that, still been gutting them as I wasn't about to leave the tenders for the vultures!

Comment

I grew up only bird hunting and did not start deer hunting until I was was in my late 20's. (that was over 30 years ago) I had read-up on how to field dress but I had never even seen it done. I went with a buddy to his lease, shot a spike and thought "now what?" I remember feeling kind of intimdated about getting started - natural, I think when it is your first time. My buddy showed up and very patiently walked me through it. It took me a long time and I will admit that seeing those guts spill out onto the ground for the first time was a little off-putting. It eventually became second nature like it does for all deer hunters, but I'm not surprised when a first timer is a little overwhelmed and even slightly grossed out. I will agree though, if a guy can't get over it he needs to find another pastime.

Comment

8pointer, you can easily grab the tenders without gutting. IMO tenderloins are meant to be eaten at the breakfast following your kill.

Comment

I always gut, I use everything from ribs to backbone, liver and heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X