Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Quiet deer feeder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not our fault you ETX guys have to hunt twice as hard looking for deer that don't exist. Hunt elsewhere and your hunting skills increase from actually getting to see/watch deer.

Bigfoot and black panther hunting skills are second to none though.

Comment

Interesting thoughts, my deer seem to go to hand corn faster than the feeder, but even if you switched motors it would still be in a feeder pin. Just wondering if its worth the effort?

Comment

I can see the upside of this but not for everyone. I wouldn't use it around cows unless you had feed pens.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnG View Post
          Interesting thoughts, my deer seem to go to hand corn faster than the feeder, but even if you switched motors it would still be in a feeder pin. Just wondering if its worth the effort?
          No don't think it would help. The reason deer go to hand corn is because they don't have to jump into feed pens. They also don't like standing under feeders. The only way this feeder would work like hand corn, is if you put the bucket way up in a tree.

Comment

Anyone want to post a video for me? I ran a test run at the house this thing is QUIET!!! All you hear is corn fall! And yes the plan is to pull feeder wayyyyyy up into the canopy like 18'

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
              Where's that fallow you used to have on your avatar? Tell us that story again about how you tracked it for 10 days in Eurasia and finally closed the deal ..please, please

Only tracked it three days. The spear I threw did the job!

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                I can see the upside of this but not for everyone. I wouldn't use it around cows unless you had feed pens.

There are no cows in East Texas. We hunt in the woods!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Only tracked it three days. The spear I threw did the job!
                  Oh, my bad.

Comment

I would try this at our place but we don't have a mesquite tree tall or big enough to hang a 30 gallon barrel up in on our 2000 acres. I like the idea of no fence to jump over or into.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                      I would try this at our place but we don't have a mesquite tree tall or big enough to hang a 30 gallon barrel up in on our 2000 acres. I like the idea of no fence to jump over or into.
                      What about mounting it on a pole behind a thick mesquite bush and then using a piece of pvc to direct it to the other side of the bush? Deer wont really notice anything that way

Comment

If you put an inverted funnel just below the outlet of the feeder to disperse the corn away from the center, the higher you hung it, the larger area the corn would cover. I like the idea/concept for the East Texas property I hunt. In the 15 plus years I've hunted this property (for hogs), I've seen one rack buck at a feeder and it was early in bow season, and I only saw him once. Now that we can hunt deer on the property as well, the deer we've taken have all been off trails/scrapes, etc. NOT at a feeder, not one. This could very well be the ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          East Texas you have to actually hunt wild deer. All you other so called hunters just sit in your blinds and wait for the feeder to wake you up when it goes off so you can shoot the pet deer you've raised.

Generations of running them with dogs and Q-beams year round made them that way take those variables out and the deer act like they should, hungry enough to come by a feeder and not scared of the daylight!
                          Last edited by MASTERS; 08-19-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I like the idea of this timer and I'm gonna order one. Why? Because I'm more of the mindset that I like to hunt big mature bucks on their own turf, moving in and out of bedding areas, along natural terrain that creates travel corridors, etc, and I believe that the best way to do that is to not disturb their natural "turf" or core areas. This feeder gives us the option to have pinpointed the travel patterns of a big old mature deer while also introducing a supplement nearby that will likely entice him to come check it out. Even if only for a few moments. And we all know that sometimes a few moments broadside means the difference between getting a shot, and going home empty handed.

I've hunted all over the state and found that there are two types of conditioning for a deer. Thus, the best way to pattern a deer or determine how it is "conditioned". The mesquites of south and west don't typically lend themselves to provide a natural bedding area or travel corridor like the creeks, sloughs, rivers and big timber of ETX, so it could be said it is easier to track a deer's natural pattern in ETX but in WTX it it easier to create a pattern by conditioning the deer with corn where they travel to and from, relentlessly. I prefer the former but if I can create a situation to where I have both, I will (and intend to with this feeder).

If anyone honestly thinks that all whitetail deer herds have the same habits and act the same in all situations, you should probably check out some new areas and spend more time in the FIELD pursuing deer and not in a BOX waiting on them.

Comment

You literally can't hear it at all... If someone wants to post the video I'll send it to them

Comment

I like it. I understand what you are talking about. Not sure some of the others are grasping the concept but I think its a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X