Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many kayak fisherman/women do we have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys!

Texas has some wonderful clear water rivers, full of variety and challenge. I'm pressed to fish out West, if my experiences here at home, hadn't been realized. I can honestly say, nailing every species on the Guadalupe with artificial baits can and will prepare anyone for anything anywhere else in the world.

River fishing clear water Texas rivers eliminates electronics and high tech tools, to get an edge on your quarry. The visibility and water depth is so clear and tight, you have to stalk into position to deliver the cast. One blown section, missing a mark and or casting piont, you give it all away and these fish will simply shut-down. They know you are there, they clear and lock up and it becomes GAME OVER.

I've fished the Guadalupe and Pedernales Rivers all of my life. Canoes before kayaks and wading sections of river for miles during the lower water conditions of summer, have been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember.

When it comes to fishing, the passion of learning, the excitement of the experience in pursuit and reading weather, water and conditions, has never waned. I joined the US Coast Guard to stay professionally employed living, breathing and working connected to water, in order to stay close to my passion of fishing.

Hill Country rivers and streams, go back well over 40 years for me now. A day on any one of our Hill Country Rivers is an absolute joy, fish or no fish....either is fine with me. We have been blessed with a river system that is literally very rare for clear water, spring fed river systems. We have an abundance of wildlife, insects and habitat bordering these river eco-systems, that if and when we slow things down, and take it all in, the experience alone provides the fuel to return, over and over again. Our Hill Country river habitats are very unique and rare. Every species of North American bass can be had in our rivers. Guadalupe, Smallmouth, Largemouth, Rockbass & Stripers - all, can be caught on our river systems. As it is chasing big game and setting goals, having an opportunity to catch all of our gamefish species in some of the most beautiful Texas settings, is a major incentive for me to go wide open in pursuit. We read about places faraway...yet, many of us don't realize, our opportunities here, are as novel and rare, as regions that we dream about.

This is life....not a pass-time for me. I live to do this and only work, so I can afford to do these things. The hours, miles and years...overtime, it simply comes together...it's what I've always lived for.

On the Pedernales with Grandpa Z....a flame that never quit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AtTheWall; 03-26-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

If anyone is looking at upgrading and selling there old kayak, send me a PM.

Comment

What are some of the best access points in the hill country, I want to get the wife on some good trips, we live in Lampasas

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
          If you don't mind me asking, where do you put in at? I am wanting to start trying out Lake Texoma with my yak.
          I mainly launch at highport marina and fish up and down the islands and the coves around there. Also by 377 bridge and Denison Dam.

Comment

Westex1 You live in my old stomping grounds, class of 04 GO BADGERS!

What are some of the best access points in the hill country, I want to get the wife on some good trips, we live in Lampasas
            are you referring specifically to the Guadalupe?

Comment

ttt

Comment

If any of you ever get the chance to float the devils river, IMHO, it is the premier river in Texas! Done it twice and as soon as my boy is old enough and strong enough to handle his own yak, I'll be doing it again!

Comment

On the Guadalupe, there are hundreds of river crossing areas where you can drop into the river.

The upper reaches above Comfort - Kerrville - Ingram - Hunt \ forks at Hunt and goes North and South to the source of both ends.

This section of river is slower and easier so drifting down from your launch, will require a paddle and wade back upstream to the launching site. The good thing is, the river's current in this region is light enough you can make headway paddling back up stream.

Or you can plan dropping in and taking out with two vehicles. At this point, it becomes a different situation and timing the day to the take-out will take precedence. Expect to get out and pull through shallow sections, it's inevitable in the upper Guadalupe.

At Comfort down to Canyon Lake. The river takes on a more powerful flow and the option of going back upstream becomes a source of contention. You can do it during the middle to late summer months, as long as we are dry and the river flow is down. But even with it dry...if the water runs it's course, it's usually with enough flow to make it tough to head upstream. The river's altitude starts to nose dive down from 1700ft Hunt\Kerrville down to roughly 900ft at Canyon lake. It is through this section it has enough downhill flow to force the river's flow to run with directed power through the tighter gaps between rocks.

Comment

Wilderness ride 135.
                    Got it about a month ago been out to conroe a few times. Itching to get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by WesTex1 View Post
                      Hey man, I use to live in lampasas and went to the Colorado vend state park all the time. It is low but you can put in by the boat ramp and paddle down to some nice water. They say that when the water is low there is a sand bar somewhere between the lake and the bend that the wt bass can't cross. That sounds like a great place to paddle to me. Also inks lake would be a nice little lake to yak on.

Comment

Originally posted by locknload View Post
                        I'm interested in learning more about Kayak fishing. I want to be able to fish lakes and the flats on the coast.
                        What are the things I need to consider?
                        Weight capacity?
                        Length?

Any particular brands I should strongly consider?

I would appreciate any info ya'll can share to help me get started.

Please send PM with info.

Thx
                        I would stay 12 ft. the 10ft yak just don't seem as stable to be. The bigger ones can also carry more gear. IMO they are just a bit more comfortable to use and what not. I have a prescado sport and love it but I also don't do any ocean fishing so I am no help there. Go to the stores and sit in them to see what you like. Also make sure to get one that you can access the inside of the yak. Mine has an opening in the front that's big and two smaller ones in the middle and back. This provides way more storage and also allows you to access the inside to attach a fishfinder if you wanted one of those. Also make sure to not get a flat bottom yak, they are hard to paddle straight in and will slow you down. They also aren't as stable IMO. Also get a sit on top not sit in. For the fishing you will be doing you don't need a sit in.
                        Last edited by Reaper33; 03-27-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Yes sir my wife is from Lampasas, class of 06! I love the bend area, hope Buchanon will fill up some day. Thanks for the info Atthewall
                          Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
                          Westex1 You live in my old stomping grounds, class of 04 GO BADGERS!

are you referring specifically to the Guadalupe?
                          Originally posted by dc1211 View Post
                          Hey man, I use to live in lampasas and went to the Colorado vend state park all the time. It is low but you can put in by the boat ramp and paddle down to some nice water. They say that when the water is low there is a sand bar somewhere between the lake and the bend that the wt bass can't cross. That sounds like a great place to paddle to me. Also inks lake would be a nice little lake to yak on.

Comment

Anyone fish from a heritage redfish 10? Mr buddy just offered to give me one. It's a 10 foot but it's rated for 325lbs. I'm a big guy so I'm happy about that. I'm gonna test it out for a bit. For town lake and lake austin or decker lake as well.

Comment

went fish n today was a great trip ill do a write up write up prob tomorrow, but hear is a teaser Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427585029.100094.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24372002

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Working...
                                X