Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many kayak fisherman/women do we have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

went fishing for reds once on a boat n had a blast couldn't imagine get n on them n a yak. have you ever been hooked or hooked any one while in the tandem kayak?

Comment

headed to the ACK demo days tomorrow and probably getting a kayak. Hopfully I can meet up with some of yall to fish. I'm in Salado.

Comment

shoot texasrig, u get a yak n well go out for sure just down the road from ya

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
          went fishing for reds once on a boat n had a blast couldn't imagine get n on them n a yak. have you ever been hooked or hooked any one while in the tandem kayak?
          This is our fifth year and no accidents yet, but plenty of discussions. You really have to be in love to get in a 13 foot tandem and make it from point A to point B.

We've caught quite a few fish out of it and plan to continue as long as our bodies hold out.

Comment

Sounds good jaycar. I'll post up if I get one tomorrow.

Comment

I wish it would stop raining so I can go to the bay

Comment

texasrig did u ever get to look at some kayaks?

Comment

Wilderness systems Tarpon 140 and 120.

Comment

Didn't get one yet. After lots of reading and YouTube videos I had pretty much made up my mind to get a jackson big tuna. Yesterday my 7 year old and I went to the ACK demo day in Austin. They don't carry jacksons so The plan was to let him try some boats there and then we were going to San Marcos to get the tuna. While he was paddling around I tried a Diablo and really liked it but still was set on the big tuna.

My son really took to the paddling. He was paddling circles around me in no time. So we get to TG in San marcos and the river is up a little and moving pretty good. My son gets in a 12' tarpon and I get in the tuna. I was a little worried about him in the current but he handled it like a champ. He could really cruise in that tarpon. I didn't fair so well with the tuna. It immediately felt tippy and unstable to me. Made it up the river ok but when I turned to head back down stream and the current hit me I turtled. I come up sputtering and first thing I hear is my son laughing his fool head off as he zooms by.

Now I'm kind of back to the drawing board. I wanted the tuna so my son and I could fish together and I could fish solo. Now he has his heart set on his own boat and I don't feel real comfortable in the tuna. I tried a jackson big rig. It was nice and stable but seemed really slow. I'm probably going to go with the Diablo and get my son a tarpon. Kids and I are going camping this weekend so it will be two weeks before I can get back to Austin.

I'll post up when I finally figure out what I'm doing and pull the trigger on something.

Comment

That's why I always tell people to try before you buy!!!! Just because it looks good, doesn't mean it'll work for you! You and your son will both be much happier having your own yaks, rigging them how you like (and how he likes), and being able to chase fish and paddle where each of you want to rather than being stuck on the same boat.

Comment

Take a look at the feel free lure. I Just picked up the 11.5. I don't have much experience in kayaks but I never felt unstable. I'm not far from you in round rock you more than welcome to come up and we can find somewhere close to put it in the water and you can try it out.

Comment

That is truly great advice. I almost bought s couple of used big tunas over the past few weeks and I'm so glad I didn't now. Liked I said the Diablo looks kind of funny but it paddled well. My son will be a lot faster than me in the tarpon but thats fine. He'll get a kick out of that.

We went fishing with the family at georgetown today and I saw a lady on a rigged out Diablo. I talked to her a little and she was very pleased with it. It was real windy on the lake today and she was handling it well.

Comment

Thanks yalladog. I may try to take you up on that. The lure was another one of the kayaks I liked. at the very least we should go fishing sometime after I finally figure all this out.

Have you fished that small lake over by Avery ranch. I've seen some pictures of some nice bass coming from there.

Comment

Def hook up and go fishing. I haven't hit Avery ranch yet. Went to lady bird last week. I didn't do any good but my buddy did ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X