X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They sure are tasty!
    Attached Files

Comment

May have to go scrounging around up here in Washington for some. Those look good!

Comment

Originally posted by DWS View Post
        I want to go morel hunting. I'm just afraid of picking to wrong mushrooms. They have a pretty distinctive look. Are there any others that look like them.What's the best way to cook them? Thanks
        My uncle and his girlfriend went hunting shrooms years ago. They grabbed the wrong ones, didn't know it, fried them up for breakfast, kids found them both unconscious. Both were lucky to survive (he was an experienced hunter but obviously got careless).

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
          My uncle and his girlfriend went hunting shrooms years ago. They grabbed the wrong ones, didn't know it, fried them up for breakfast, kids found them both unconscious. Both were lucky to survive (he was an experienced hunter but obviously got careless).

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post
            Best indicators we found were old fires, southern slopes, aspen trees and a good covering of hardwood leafs. Also some lime stone seemed to help. Something about the PH a biologist told us. A good warm rain makes them come out big time!
            You are correct about the limestone as that is Ca which is a base. It is about anaerobic of aerobic and of course nitrates. The growing season has pushed north approaching Iowa. Southern areas are mostly completed until next year.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
              Cut them in half long ways so you have two equal halves, soak them in salt water for a few hours to kill and removed the bugs found in the pits of the mushroom, dip them in egg, cover them with a light coat of flour (we also added a little cornmeal and some spices, and then fry those babies up! Sure is some good eating
              They are good that way, but I just fry mine in butter and eat with steak. yum yum!!

Comment

Used to find them by the grocery bag full when I was growing up in Iowa.

Comment

Making me hungry, look good in the frying pan...

Comment

They are my favorite!

Comment

used to find them on public land in Wisconsin. actually go pretty well with chicken fried steak cooked the same way.

Comment

When I lived in NW Arkansas we would go out and pick tons of those things, so good.

Comment

Going to hunt for morels this weekend. Anyone else doing this already?

Comment

never have tried one. didnt know what they were till reading this thread. seen people post em on FB when they find em but didnt know they were so saught after.

Comment

They are great! Aka "sponge" mushroom. There are black, gray, and yeller varieties. Lots of other shrooms out there too. Can't repeat name of one cause swear filter. But it concerns a male dog.

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                                They are great! Aka "sponge" mushroom. There are black, gray, and yeller varieties. Lots of other shrooms out there too. Can't repeat name of one cause swear filter. But it concerns a male dog.

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Well heck Michael, go out and pick us some and brang 'em to Bownanza.... Team Fishheads has been known to fry a LOT of things besides fish!!

Comment

Working...
                                X