No announcement yet.

Morel Mushrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went yesterday morning and didn't find any.. After the rains the ground seems much more conducive to growing now.. Was like concrete a couple weeks ago.. More rain, more warmth.. bring it on

Comment

I've gone many times and have yet to find my first one.

Tried areas near Texoma and Tyler.

Comment

Found three smaller morels in Grayson County yesterday. My spot was all rooted-up by hogs. Think they beat me to them. May try again this weekend just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
          Usually under elms, ash, & sycamore. Sometimes I’ll find some in cedar thickets if there’s a seep or spring in it. No real science to it for me but typically the same spots are productive most years.
          definately mycorrhizal with elm, ash, and cedar.

I've picked 3-10 of em under the same elm for 12 years running (except for 1
          year when I found none).

Comment

couple of things from a long time morel hunter,carry them in a mesh type bag after gathering (helps spread spores). look for them around fallen trees in stream bottoms on sunny days after a good rain.we start hunting in the spring when the lilac's start blooming .happy hunting

Comment

I have never tasted one before....but after seeing the prices you guys posted I think the only one I could afford would be the false morel.

Comment

Got into mushrooms kind of by accident, my sons chain fell off his mini bike on the road into our property. I was putting it on and knelt on one and realized they were everywhere. I wasn’t too sure about them, but we gathered a few gallons of them and they were delicious.
                There are a lot of apps to identify them safely. I naturalist and picture this allow you to take photos and get super accurate ID’s
                Chicken of the woods, hens back and hen of the woods are also delicious and pretty straightforward.
                Attached Files

Comment

I started paying closer attention to air and soil temps, rainfall and taking photos of surrounding plants and trees where I’ve found good mushroom patches as well as dates and random notes. It’s made a big difference in where and how I spend time looking.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Shrooms

I found some Oyster mushrooms here before but I was not to crazy about them and I love mushrooms. I pretty sure I would like these. Not sure if they grow here. I'm about 30 miles north west of Baton Rouge.

Comment

Found about 50 today in Ardmore Ok. All in one patch. If anyone in Keller would like to try I'd be happy to share some.

Comment

Found quite a few this past weekend for the first time. Fried most and made a morel sauce with pan seared venison. Both are awesome!! Need to try to find them more often.

Comment

Did ok earlier this week

Comment

I guess the weather conditions were good up here because this was the best season that I can remember. Great picking for several weeks.

Lots of good eats!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X