No announcement yet.

Morel Mushrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas has them. I am going to look for some next weekend at my lease in Red River.

Comment

Originally posted by fishycatfish View Post
      I'm in Iowa right now and went lookin yesterday. Didn't find any though, what do you look for in order to find a promising area?
      Most of the luck we had was in low areas around creeks. We did find some in the middle of nowhere but were generally concentrated in low, greener areas, with dead trees standing or wood on the ground. Needs to have some moisture in the air for them to grow. When you find one, look closely around it cuz we would find them in groups together and especially under the dead leaves. It's just hard to say where you'll find them. We found some what looked like prime areas without a single mushroom and then others in places where you would never think. Just gotta keep your eyes peeled.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
        East Texas has them. I am going to look for some next weekend at my lease in Red River.
        cool. had no idea texas had them

Comment

Back home in michigan we used to find them by the tons. Had I of known their value I would have been a rich kid. Nothing goes better with venison then morels and wild leak onions.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post
            Back home in michigan we used to find them by the tons. Had I of known their value I would have been a rich kid. Nothing goes better with venison then morels and wild leak onions.
            A ton of Morels is worth $600,000.00

Comment

they sure are worth some money, but if you sell them, you don;t have a chance to them yourself

Comment

Best indicators we found were old fires, southern slopes, aspen trees and a good covering of hardwood leafs. Also some lime stone seemed to help. Something about the PH a biologist told us. A good warm rain makes them come out big time!

Comment

I remember carrying out garbage bags full of them. Man if I only knew how much they were worth I'd have all kinds of hunting stuff lol.

Comment

We used to dehydrate them so we had them year round.

Comment

These are some I have found over the last few weeks in Wise and Grayson county. They are mostly done as far as Texas goes.

Comment

We used to dehydrate them so we had them year round.
                        You would dehydrate them and then soak them to bring them back? Would you freeze them?

Comment

Just dehydrate them and keep them in gallon ziplock bags. When we used them you could soak them in water or just put them in sauces dry and they would rehydrate themselves. When we tried to freeze them they just turned slimy and fell apart. If you dehydrate them in a food dehydrator do it in a garage not the house. The smell is almost unbearable.

Comment

Just dehydrate them and keep them in gallon ziplock bags. When we used them you could soak them in water or just put them in sauces dry and they would rehydrate themselves. When we tried to freeze them they just turned slimy and fell apart. If you dehydrate them in a food dehydrator do it in a garage not the house. The smell is almost unbearable.
                            Awesome. Will have to try this out!

Comment

I didn't know they were here in Texas. I have seen some spots while hunting that looked like they'd be there. I'm going out tomorrow if it rains tonight and looking.

Comment

We used (in the 70's & 80's) to slice them thin and saute them in butter and red wine and drippings from a moose or elk roast or even backstrap steaks and then pour them over the top of the meat. No better meal on this earth.......besides, maybe, a Maine lobster about 24 hours after it left the sea floor. Lol! SOOOOooooooo jealous!

Comment

Working...
                                X