No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Do you guys that get drawn just tent camp in the camp areas on the mountain mostly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
      Question: Do you guys that get drawn just tent camp in the camp areas on the mountain mostly?

Lol no I camp as far away from anyone else as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        If your playing New Mexico the way it is meant to be played I would feel very sorry for you. But if your just putting 16d/1% units or in a group every year then you still have like 80+ years for the odds to even out. Would love to know your strategy or if you even have one. It obviously needs to be changed tho

No sir, I do not play it just to draw "a tag". I have hunted all over NM and do have my preferences. I also except the consequences of the draw system when only wanting to hunt the better units and not the"1%'ers", gave that up years ago (16D was drawn when our group was larger and more tags were available). And yes, after having chased elk together for 35 years our group of 2 are to hard headed to give up trying to hunt together. There are many factors that go into where we apply for, more now days than 25-30 years ago for sure! Basically draw the best unit we can for the next few years till my body gives out and I can't climb a hill anymore. If I don't draw I pay and complain about missing the draw for 18 years .

Comment

Man I need to do this, I want to put in for that Secondary draw….I don’t know anything about the process or areas of success. I just feel the need to get after an elk, even a cow with my bow and tent camp in the mountains.

It’s a little overwhelming looking at Colorado’s website. I need to start somewhere though.

Comment

Originally posted by millman View Post
            No sir, I do not play it just to draw "a tag". I have hunted all over NM and do have my preferences. I also except the consequences of the draw system when only wanting to hunt the better units and not the"1%'ers", gave that up years ago (16D was drawn when our group was larger and more tags were available). And yes, after having chased elk together for 35 years our group of 2 are to hard headed to give up trying to hunt together. There are many factors that go into where we apply for, more now days than 25-30 years ago for sure! Basically draw the best unit we can for the next few years till my body gives out and I can't climb a hill anymore. If I don't draw I pay and complain about missing the draw for 18 years .

Definitely nothing wrong with buying land owner tags [emoji2369] I love NM has that option

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              Definitely nothing wrong with buying land owner tags [emoji2369] I love NM has that option

Do the Land owners set their own price for the LO tags? I’d imagine yes.

Comment

Yes, I will have between 3 and 5 "authorizations" this year for New Mexico landowner tags.

I choose what I want to sell that authorization for...it's basically a code for a specific tag. You take that code I would sell and use it to buy a license in the New Mexico system.

Without the code, you can't buy a license

In the primary zone, there are two types of tags. Unit Wide and Ranch Only. This year I'm doing Unit Wide, which means with my tags...I or whoever ends up with them, can also hunt all other private land that is Unitwide, plus all the public land....just like a Draw tag.
                Last edited by Bulldawg87; 04-21-2023, 08:37 PM.

Comment

yes, but many are still sold/brokered/etc through tag brokers, whom have a pretty good mark up.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    still pull an elk tag almost every other year if you do your research. One of my good friends has 8/10 between three units for past 10 years. 8 tags in 10 years and 6 bulls. Some of those might be late season but he is hunting elk.

Just have to get away from the high quality unit mind set. How does west tx desert have tons of good bulls but NM doesnt…… Lots of ground gets over looked. Not going to blow out units of friends, but its doable.
                    That's dang good results!

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldawg87 View Post
                      Yes, I will have between 3 and 5 "authorizations" this year for New Mexico landowner tags.

I choose what I want to sell that authorization for...it's basically a code for a specific tag. You take that code I would sell and use it to buy a license in the New Mexico system.

Without the code, you can't buy a license

In the primary zone, there are two types of tags. Unit Wide and Ranch Only. This year I'm doing Unit Wide, which means with my tags...I or whoever ends up with them, can also hunt all other private land that is Unitwide, plus all the public land....just like a Draw tag.

Got you sir, thanks for explaining that. I’d imagine you guys get repeat customers/hunters and even the LO tags are difficult to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        yes, but many are still sold/brokered/etc through tag brokers, whom have a pretty good mark up.

Ok, thank you for the response.

Comment

Got you sir, thanks for explaining that. I’d imagine you guys get repeat customers/hunters and even the LO tags are difficult to come by.

They are in demand for sure. This will be my first year with them and I've already had one guy offer to buy multiple years up front! A couple outfitter know I will get them and have ask and a few more folks.

I told the guy wanting multiple years, I'm just gonna cut out the broker, middle man and be at that same price and he didn't bat an eye, but we will see what happens when I actually get them in about a month.

But he very well could disappear too
                          Last edited by Bulldawg87; 04-21-2023, 09:03 PM.

Comment

They are in demand for sure. This will be my first year with them and I've already had one guy offer to buy multiple years up front! A couple outfitter know I will get them and have ask and a few more folks.

I told the guy wanting multiple years, I'm just gonna cut out the broker, middle man and be at that same price and he didn't bat an eye, but we will see what happens when I actually get them in about a month.

But he very well could disappear too

Man, that is great and in-line with what it sounds like your goals were for purchasing in NM. I just read through your entire thread from last Dec. when you were in the process of purchasing. I figured you would get 8-10k per tag and that’s wise of you, sounds like you did a lot of leg work and research to line out your properties.

I’ll be following along with what’s transpiring. Awesome stuff sir.

Comment

Man, that is great and in-line with what it sounds like your goals were for purchasing in NM. I just read through your entire thread from last Dec. when you were in the process of purchasing. I figured you would get 8-10k per tag and that’s wise of you, sounds like you did a lot of leg work and research to line out your properties.

I’ll be following along with what’s transpiring. Awesome stuff sir.

Thanks! I'll try and update that post with developments from my hunts and results of land owner draws too.

Not sure I will actually sell to that guy...but was shocked he even threw out the idea of multiple years paid for upfront, potentially.

Comment

Thanks! I'll try and update that post with developments from my hunts and results of land owner draws too.

Not sure I will actually sell to that guy...but was shocked he even threw out the idea of multiple years paid for upfront, potentially.

I’m sure it’s profitable for the outfitters as well and they may even up them more if they’re able to, which I wouldn’t know. They need the tags to run their outfitting business so procurement is their game.

Comment

Working...
                                X