No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so blessed. Elk hunting is on my bucket list and I am going this October. I am 65 and my son is 41. We are rifle hunting on Angel Fire Ski Resort property the first week after bow season. I have been going over equipment and packing/repacking/changing since Jan 1st!!! He killed a 7x6 last year. You guys keep describing hunts because I am reading them all!

Comment

Thank you ! I have a few areas picked out to scout but have never visited the area. I will go up in august to look around.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
        Yes I called in 6 bulls screwing around while archery mule deer hunting last year.

You are in for a treat. I can give you several spots to try. It’s a very accessible unit, minus the burn behind lookout and ski resort. I found elk all of the unit high and low
        I am looking at that area ! West of the ski resort , it will be my first time to this unit . I’m excited! That is awesome I just hope for an opportunity at a bull.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          That’s awesome. Great unit. Should have a really good chance at a 300” bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I would be happy with anything haha. If I really get into them I might pass up a rag horn but still looking for my first elk

Comment

Originally posted by Bbostick25 View Post
            I am looking at that area ! West of the ski resort , it will be my first time to this unit . I’m excited! That is awesome I just hope for an opportunity at a bull.
            Pm me and I’ll give you my number.

Comment

It says my post count has to be 15 or greater before I can send pms. Will it let you on me

Comment

It says my post count has to be 15 or greater before I can send pms. Will it let you on me
                Lol, sent you my number

Comment

Over here debating whether to go general in SW CO or look for a new unit this year. Been scrolling on OnX since I found out about the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by chevota View Post
                    Over here debating whether to go general in SW CO or look for a new unit this year. Been scrolling on OnX since I found out about the changes.
                    Did you usually archery hunt it ? I hope the draw changes . I wonder if it will take any points to draw this year

Comment

I'm looking for a good tipi tent, floorless is fine, preferably 9x9 or bigger. Any ideas, used ones, or DIY designs?

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                        I'm looking for a good tipi tent, floorless is fine, preferably 9x9 or bigger. Any ideas, used ones, or DIY designs?
                        I like my kifaru tut a lot. Sets up quick in a pinch. The pull outs on side open up a lot of space when fully tether out. With that said the kifaru sawtooth is best overall design. If I was to copy one for all uses that’s what I’d copy, unless you want smaller ultra ultra light,
                        Last edited by Texans42; 05-05-2020, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I’ve got a seek outside redcliff that I like a lot, the sawtooth and the tut are both great too. I’ve stayed in all three for a week and they are all pretty similar. I like the snow skirt on the redcliff and also the double zip doors on both sides

Comment

I drew unit 36 second archery ! Anyone with experience in this unit ?
                            I live in Capitan, and have found some great areas in 36-37. Let me know if you need some help. It's a beautiful area with a ton of elk. You're going to love it!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Did you usually archery hunt it ? I hope the draw changes . I wonder if it will take any points to draw this year
                              Went Last year OTC. Unsuccessful but first time in that spot. Lots of sign felt like I would have a good chance this time around. So back to step one lol. Rifle up where I went could make the drive up/down pretty sketchy if the weather goes south. Also prefer Archery anyway

Comment

Well, I have $650 of Cabelas points I need to burn so I can get rid of their card. Any suggestions on elk gear? I should draw Colorado (near Craig) in September.

Comment

Working...
                                X