The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWP View Post
    What is your bow and arrow set up??? People kill elk with expandables every year. Just need to have enough KE to get it done.

I shoot an obsession evolution 65lbs 297fps with 401 grain arrow setup with 100 grain whitetail specials grim reapers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      I shoot an obsession evolution 65lbs 297fps with 401 grain arrow setup with 100 grain whitetail specials grim reapers

Your good, However, I would strongly consider a fixed head. Odds of a pass through go up significantly on a fixed head and with elk, that is HUGE when it comes to blood trails. In our elk group, 75% of the guys use mechanicals. I use QAD Exodus, but keep some Rage Hypo's in the quiver as well. The biggest benefit of fixed heads is when stalking, expendables get caught on twigs/grass, etc....and will open up unexpectedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        Your good, However, I would strongly consider a fixed head. Odds of a pass through go up significantly on a fixed head and with elk, that is HUGE when it comes to blood trails. In our elk group, 75% of the guys use mechanicals. I use QAD Exodus, but keep some Rage Hypo's in the quiver as well. The biggest benefit of fixed heads is when stalking, expendables get caught on twigs/grass, etc....and will open up unexpectedly.
        Ahh good point with the head deploying on debris didn’t think of that

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
          I have a sept 36 deer tag, I’m trying to talk my self into it, instead of OTC CO or ID elk.

I messed up and didn’t realize they split the deer season this year. So Jan I’m hunting AZ now also

Comment

I’m going into next season with 4 elk and deer points in Colorado, thinking about burning my elk points. I’ve spent the last 6 hours looking on go hunt and bouncing around units trying to narrow it down a bit. There is one better trophy quality hunt and a bunch of wilderness “experience hunts” which has been more of my speed since starting to hunt elk. I know of one unit I would really love to hunt but it’s a 5 point unit, so there’s the monkey wrench. I wrote all this just to let ya know....... I still have no clue which unit I want to hunt elk in Colorado next year.

Comment

Valle Vidal NM

Well guys. I guess my 18 yr old son lucked out. Second time to enter him in the NM draw and he drew Unit 55 Valle Vidal in NM. This will be his first Elk hunt. I have never been either. He's taking both his bow and rifle. I'm going to tag along and possibly my dad, his granddad. Heading up there later this summer to scout things out before the hunt this fall. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                Would be sick to shoot a good bull with trad gear tho.
                Would be really bad *** to stick one with a trad bow, definitely a bucket list item for me. But I'm still working on my first elk, period lol. Do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  You're going to stink regardless. I use Body Glide for chaffing and thankfully that's not often. If you come across a creek and have a minute to spare; rinse off. It'll wake you right up too. Baby wipes or any type of field wipe is worth its weight in gold; dude wipes are solid.
                  Definitely use the wipes. I like to take them out of the package and let them air dry. Then stick them in a Foodsaver bag and vacuum seal a whole pouch once they're dry. They compress down to nothing and they weigh significantly less than a full, wet pack. When you get to camp, just add water and your back in business.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                    Definitely use the wipes. I like to take them out of the package and let them air dry. Then stick them in a Foodsaver bag and vacuum seal a whole pouch once they're dry. They compress down to nothing and they weigh significantly less than a full, wet pack. When you get to camp, just add water and your back in business.

Thanks guys putting this in my notes...

I’ve watched about 6 hrs of Nate Simmons hunt, and listened to countless elk talk podcast. I’ve learned a lot in just these two avenues I’ll keep sponging as much as i can from here till my trip! There’s A LOT of small things that you really have to cypher through or see to understand I’m coming to realize.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketndally View Post
                      Well guys. I guess my 18 yr old son lucked out. Second time to enter him in the NM draw and he drew Unit 55 Valle Vidal in NM. This will be his first Elk hunt. I have never been either. He's taking both his bow and rifle. I'm going to tag along and possibly my dad, his granddad. Heading up there later this summer to scout things out before the hunt this fall. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
                      Know the history of the place and where those elk came from after the meridian elk where extirpated. Kind of a cool history, also serves as reference that Texans do care about the west

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        Know the history of the place and where those elk came from after the Merriam’s elk where extirpated. Kind of a cool history, also serves as reference that Texans do care about the west

https://journals.uair.arizona.edu/in...ad/11941/11214
                        Suppose to say Merriam’s,

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                          I have a sept 36 deer tag, I’m trying to talk my self into it, instead of OTC CO or ID elk.

I messed up and didn’t realize they split the deer season this year. So Jan I’m hunting AZ now also
                          Congrats to your son!! The Valle Vidal is a beautiful place and loaded with elk. Take your fly rods too, in case you end up having some time to fish.

Comment

Is 45° rating good enough for 3/4 week of sept? I’m hot natured so if it’s not below 50° I’m in shirt am shorts. So I’m not overly concerned if weathers typically 40°+, but I’m not familiar with weather and temps that time of year in Colorado

Comment

Depends on your elevation but by the third and fourth week of September snow is a very real possibility as are subfreezing temps.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
                                Depends on your elevation but by the third and fourth week of September snow is a very real possibility as are subfreezing temps.
                                11,000’ so i need to probably get a heavier rated jacket than 45-60°

Comment

Working...
                                X