The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ACook View Post
    i might be drawing down on the first cow that walks out!
    I've said the same thing the last 3 years. First two years, a bull happened to be my first opportunity, other than calves. Last year, we flew my wife up to hunt with me the first 4 days and a large cow gave me the perfect opportunity while she video'd. That was almost as special as my first bull.......almost

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
      35 days here.... If we could just skip August, that would be fine by me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Don't wish your life away. Think I will leave 8/21. Get out of this Texas heat.
      Leave the mountains 9/16.
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice bull oldkiller!!

Comment

38 days and I'll be heading to Colorado with my Pawpaw. He's 75 and can still out-hike me all day long. Gonna be in unit 73.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
            Don't wish your life away. Think I will leave 8/21. Get out of this Texas heat.
            Leave the mountains 9/16.

Where ya headed? We are leaving on sept 9. So much left to do. Still have to get my dang muzzle load dialed in at 100. Cannot get it accurate/consistent at 100.
            Shooting 105 gr pyrodex rs with a 385 gr conical

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
              Where ya headed? We are leaving on sept 9. So much left to do. Still have to get my dang muzzle load dialed in at 100. Cannot get it accurate/consistent at 100.
              Shooting 105 gr pyrodex rs with a 385 gr conical
              What rate of twist are you running?

August 25th will be the day I head down, buddy that is hunting with me this year will be headed up to claim a camping spot and get camp thrown up and pull cameras and start working on getting a game plan setup the 22nd. I can't wait, been watching youtube videos and it isn't helping scratch the itch any.

By the way if your haven't seen them before check out the Hushin youtube channel, they put out some great vids.
              Last edited by westtexducks; 07-27-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACook View Post
                Nice bull oldkiller!!
                My son killed two 315" bulls at that location.
                Attached Files

Comment

You know I bought it off a guy here and I honestly don't know. I have a t/c encore frame with the muzzle load barrel on it. I cant fins anything on twist, other than its the magnum barrel, 209x50 magnum is what it says on the side

Comment

How consistent are you seating the bullet to the powder?

Also how many shots before you clean barrel?

On mine I've had better luck with pyrodex powder then pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                      You know I bought it off a guy here and I honestly don't know. I have a t/c encore frame with the muzzle load barrel on it. I cant fins anything on twist, other than its the magnum barrel, 209x50 magnum is what it says on the side
                      Get your cleaning rod and put a patch on it tight enough to engage the rifling. Then mark the rod on one side with a marker paint anything at the top by your handle. Then just push it down until you get one complete rotation of your mark. Mark your rod again flush with muzzle, then measure how much rod was in your barrel and you will know your twist rate.

For a heavy conical like that you are going to want a faster twist rate, if yours as the slower twist rate, 1:48 or 1:32 you will find it harder to get those heavy bullets to shoot. So you may need to step down some in weight, but if that is not an option or if your really wanting to shoot that bullet start playing with your powder charge, try going up and down 5 and 10 grs and see which it like best, then from whatever charge it likes try going 2 up and down to see if you get an improvement.

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      How consistent are you seating the bullet to the powder?

Also how many shots before you clean barrel?

On mine I've had better luck with pyrodex powder then pellets.
                      This is important as well. I like to take a paint pen and mark my rod flush with the muzzle to make sure I am getting a consistent seat. Also you don't have to beat it in either, this can lead to inconsistency as well since you will never compress the load the same every time. Should be able to seat the bullet in one smooth motion until it stops and that is it your done.

Comment

33 Days.....it's coming fast!

Comment

Anybody else going to SW Colorado for early season? Scheduled to go the first week of Sept after labor day. Idk if it would be better to go the week following labor day or after the muzzleloaders move out. Neither are ideal but its gotta happen. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by makotex View Post
                            Anybody else going to SW Colorado for early season? Scheduled to go the first week of Sept after labor day. Idk if it would be better to go the week following labor day or after the muzzleloaders move out. Neither are ideal but its gotta happen. Any thoughts?
                            We are going Sept 3-9.....but we hunt private surrounded but public. Normally there is an influx of animals that either get pushed off public all together or they get pushed into the really hard to access public areas.

Labor day weekend is usually a zoo with probably more campers and off-roaders than hunters. I would say its the busiest weekend in the forest by far.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                              My son killed two 315" bulls at that location.
                              Very nice bull! I certainly wouldn't let one that size walk by!

Comment

Bought a mouth cow elk call. I make a bad a&$ turkey sound but no cow sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X