No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I hope everyone has a great hunt. We leave in 6 days hunting the CO opener for 7 days. We are hunting private in a heavily hunted unit....so we are hoping the masses push them to us.

One thing we are going to do if we don't find or hear elk early on.....is to go out night and bugle or cow call to see if we hear elk respond so we will have a good starting point for the next days hunt. They are much more likely to be vocal at night than daytime...especially in a heavily hunted unit.

Comment

21 Days till AZ opener. Starting to stress a little. LoL

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
        Wow! What unit did you draw? That should be a great hunt, they have been getting some pretty good rain this year, the bulls should be prime.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
          Wow! What unit did you draw? That should be a great hunt, they have been getting some pretty good rain this year, the bulls should be prime.

Unit 6. Yeah my outfitter has spotted some good Bulls already.

Comment

Sharpening broadheads and going over topos, only a couple more weeks!!!

Comment

Are you a trad shooter?
              Single bevel 2 blades?

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                Are you a trad shooter?
                Single bevel 2 blades?
                Yes sir, 160 grain STOS double bevel with 40 grain adapters.

Comment

Oh, I see now that they aren't single bevel. The lighting didn't show it.
                  What bow?
                  I shoot a Bob Lee recurve.

Comment

A Yellarstone bull to get y'all going:

Comment

Well, knew something crazy had to happen. Went to buy Idaho tags and found out about the mandatory Bowhunter safety course. Went to do it online, but only for Idaho residents. So I look to do the Tejas course and find out it takes online and a field day. My buddy had never Bowhunted before and can't make a class before season due to work, and they only have two dates scheduled, so we are going to Colorado after all. I'm good either way, just a bump in the road and a much shorter drive than Idaho.
                      Colorado doesn't require a Bowhunter safety course but they do require a Hunter Safety course. Last year I forgot to bring my hunter safety card. Thought I was screwed! I found the card number on an old license and luckily they accepted that. We're leaving Wednesday afternoon for SW Colorado.
                      Good luck to you guys

Comment

Headed to unit 81 sept 17-27 for my 1st elk hunt luckily I'm goin with some guys that have been hunting there for the past 10 years so I'm pretty excited

Comment

Originally posted by SwampGhost View Post
                          Colorado doesn't require a Bowhunter safety course but they do require a Hunter Safety course. Last year I forgot to bring my hunter safety card. Thought I was screwed! I found the card number on an old license and luckily they accepted that. We're leaving Wednesday afternoon for SW Colorado.

Good luck to you guys

Yes sir, I've hunted Colorado 4 times, that is what got me in trouble, I ASSumed it was the same. Ha ha ha

Comment

Well, knew something crazy had to happen. Went to buy Idaho tags and found out about the mandatory Bowhunter safety course. Went to do it online, but only for Idaho residents. So I look to do the Tejas course and find out it takes online and a field day. My buddy had never Bowhunted before and can't make a class before season due to work, and they only have two dates scheduled, so we are going to Colorado after all. I'm good either way, just a bump in the road and a much shorter drive than Idaho.
                            I am hunting Idaho in 2 weeks and I didn't have to go through the bow hunter education course. I filled out the affidavit and they accepted It. All you have to do is have a hunting license from another state from the previous year and you are qualified to hunt in Idaho. At least that's what they told me and I have my license and tags.

Come on September 4th!!!

Comment

6 days and counting before we head out on a 5 day hunt. First for me getting pretty excited now. Just trying not to forget anything.

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
                                24 days here, keep us updated on the hunt. I talked w/ outfitter out there and they have seen a couple over 400". Should be epic hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X