Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Do dogs mourn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thor View Post
    Please dont take this wrong but God I hope so.
    They have such a wide range of emotions I cant imigine god not giving them the abilty to mourn.
    So sorry for the loss of your friend.

yes, I agree.
    think of it this way, has anything ever loved you more than your dog has?

anytime we lost a pet, if it was at all possible, we made sure and let the other ones see, sniff the passed one so they would know what happened.

Comment

Yep! I think they bond and form friendships with each other just like we do and just like they do with us! It's a sad day when you loose a long time pet. Little animals are very special in my book.

Comment

When I had to put my Alaskan Malamute down my cat meowed constantly. I finally had to get a cat for my cat. After getting him a cat he was happy once again.

About two years ago a picture of my Alaskan Malamute fell to the floor and my male cat just sat there for about thirty minutes meowing at her picture. I picked it up and he followed me until I put it back on the wall.

Sorry for the loss, pet tend to find a special place in our hearts.

Comment

Very sorry for your loss. It's tough what you had to do, but in my opinion it is the ultimate display of love. I went through the same thing 2 years ago with my best friend Beau, our 13 year old lab. Our female lab stopped eating and wouldn’t even get out of the bed and we thought we may lose her as well so we got a pup from Blake, another tbher and she perked up after about a week of having a pup climbing all over her. She is now 13 and we know that day is coming again and the thought is almost more than we can bear.
          Our condolences once again.

Comment

Twice in my life, with the last one being this last month. I have had a dog die, then the other one just mopes around and searches, then she stopped eating and she also died 2 weeks later. I totally think they mourn to the point that they quit eating. Iv'e seen it.

Comment

Yes they do i have seen it

Comment

Yes they do

Comment

My mom and dad have had the little dog I gave them for 13 years. My dad passed away this past March and the little dog definately knew something was different. When he came here to our home he went from room to room constantly. Cant say for sure but he seemed to be looking for something or someone. It took months before he stopped this behavior and settled down. I believe he was looking for my dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                    I think they feel something but THIS I don't agree with.
                    Me either.

I find it strange how people try to apply human emotions to animals.

Ask any PETA member, tehy'll tell you animals have feelings.

In all seriousness, sorry for your family's loss Alan, but I do not believe that animals have near the emotions that humans have.

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your lab, and yes I feel they definately mourn!

Comment

My dogs whine when one is locked inside and other is outside. I fear the day when either one dies even though I found a wrapper destroyed when I got home today from work.

Comment

I feel for you Shock Value. I have a 13 yr old Chocolate Lab & I know the same day is coming for me soon. Every time I come back from being offshore I wonder if this is the time. Dang, it hurts to just think about it. Get another dog when you can for the one that is left.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                            We had to put down our 13 year old Yellow Lab Friday. It was a very sad day at our house. I think my 8 year old Black Lab finally figured it out Sunday. He was moping around, sad faced all day.

I'm not one to project human emotions on to animals, but do you think dogs or other intellegent (this excludes cats ) domesticated animals can mourn the loss of their buddies or family members?

Yes they do. I had to put my Lab Mix of 16 yrs. down 3 yrs ago and the Vet. told me that I should have brought J.B. along and have in the room with us that he would know what was going on, and that way he would know when we left and Sammie did come with us that she was there and not coming back. He still looks for her

Comment

Of course they do and who could disprove it?....Its hard for some to wrap their head around it though. Do they feel pain? Yes. Do they learn? Yes.... Then they have the ability to learn and react to some emotions, in their own way.

Sorry for your loss Alan...Im not to far away from having to make a decision like yours...again.

Comment

good read as this makes perfect sense ..... (see link)

Grieving: When Your Dog Mourns the Loss of Another Dog

.........Helping your dog adjust to this loss will help you at the same time. Realize that without the other canine pack member, your dog's position in life has now changed. You may now have a former leader dog without a follower. Or you may have a former follower dog without a canine leader. You will need to help your dog find the way to a healthy new position in the social order. ...........

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...P=A&A=1400&S=1

Comment

Working...
                                X