Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Do dogs mourn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch where the Red Fern grows. If you can make it through the movie, it will offer alot of explanation on the subject.

Comment

I think so. We had to put down my 14 yo lab and my wifes 17 yo wiener dog this year. Our 3yo lab just lays around all day kinda depressed going from room to room looking for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
        Watch where the Red Fern grows. If you can make it through the movie, it will offer alot of explanation on the subject.
        I can't even think about that movie without crying.

Comment

WHen my grandfather died his dog went into the living room sat down next to his chair and didn't move for three days. Less than a week later we found him out in the barn next to Papa's favorite thinking spot -- dead.

Comment

Yes they do. I have seen some get through it quickly and others spend weeks. There aren't any studies on it that I know of, but a lifetime of experience and the last six years as a vet are all the proof I need. Once again Alan, very sorry for y'alls loss

Comment

Without a doubt. When our lab got hit by a car, we almost lost her and she stayed at the vet for 3 days. During that time, our saint Bernard wouldn't hardly eat and just layed around. She didn't want to play or go for walks either.

Comment

I sure am sorry to hear about your dog. Tough loss for sure.

Just about every mammal I know of mourns death in its herd, family, pack, etc. I recently heard of a Lacy dog that howled for days when her partner, an older Lacy, died.

Comment

Unless they're hog dogs and then they just run rampant and rough shot over everything

Without a doubt dogs have emotions. They pout, get mad and even mourn. They know when a master suffers a loss.

Sorry about your loss Alan. I dread the day I have to do it for Digger and he's only 3

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                    Neighbors dog a couple of houses down can. The dog went to howling and just making the saddest sounds I ever heard. I finally went to check about it because it sounded like the dog might be hurt and they may be out of town or something. Got to the house and the husband had passed. His wife said the dog started mourning the same day her husband passed. They can tell.
                    wow!!! I think they do.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. I firmly believe dogs mourn. When we put my pit bull down in high school, our cocker spaniel moped around for a month until we got him a buddy.

Comment

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          yep, they have feelings just like people .
                          I think they feel something but THIS I don't agree with.

Comment

Heck brother dogs are the only other animal i now to have feelings.

Comment

Please dont take this wrong but God I hope so.
                              They have such a wide range of emotions I cant imigine god not giving them the abilty to mourn.
                              So sorry for the loss of your friend.

Comment

Yes they do. I lost a dog in a house fire while my other dog was in the backyard. They had been raised together and after the fire the dog that lived was never the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X