No announcement yet.

Do dogs mourn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for your loss, I think the big dogs like the labs have strong emotional ties. The lab I had growing up would go thru what I determined was separation anxiety. If we were gone for too long, like over a weekend or 2-3 days. Even with proper care from an outsider, he would eat a plant in the flowerbed. Never exhibited this behavior otherwise.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss, Alan. It's tough losing a pet that has been with you that long.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Definetely. That's the primary reason we have been stuck in the "2 dog cycle ". You have an old dog and a younger dog. Old dog dies, younger dog mopes around and gets depressed so you you get an even younger dog and the cycle continues. This has been going on for the 23 years we've been married. I lose track on the # of dogs. Sorry about your loss...
        Last edited by jerp; 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss Alan...

Comment

Yes, animals morn.

Comment

Neighbors dog a couple of houses down can. The dog went to howling and just making the saddest sounds I ever heard. I finally went to check about it because it sounded like the dog might be hurt and they may be out of town or something. Got to the house and the husband had passed. His wife said the dog started mourning the same day her husband passed. They can tell.

Comment

Sorry about you loss. I lost a 7 mo old lab pup a couple of months back and we buried her in the backyard. When we finished burying her, I walked in the house I couldnt find our Jack Russell(10 years old) Looked out the window and she was laying on top of the grave. You cant tell me they dont know!

Comment

Sorry to hear that Alan. I'll be dealing with the same thing in the next week or two with my old shorthair. The younger one is kind of simple minded anyway......not sure how he's gonna take this. He freaks out when I take her to the vet...

Comment

Dogs do and so do horses. A friends retired race horse had a rooster buddy and the rooster died. Old horse nearly starved himself to death and carried the dead rooster around in his mouth till it fell apart. I suspect many animals feel loss when a buddy is taken away or disappears. Animals being creatures of habit and all.

Comment

Watch Haichi, in my mind i think they mourn.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dog. I grew up watching "Where the Redfern Grows," so I have always thought that dogs had true feelings for one another and for humans.

Comment

I think they do , have noticed it over the years on some of my dogs . . .

Comment

Sorry for your loss, I have been there several times. I agree that dogs do mourn but to what degree, I can't really tell but they do miss their friend!

Comment

I think that they do, I got 2 female dogs, 1 was pregnant and when she had her litter she didn't want anything to do with the other dog, well that doged moped around for several weeks, looking all sad and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Sorry to hear that Alan. I'll be dealing with the same thing in the next week or two with my old shorthair. The younger one is kind of simple minded anyway......not sure how he's gonna take this. He freaks out when I take her to the vet...
                                I always said I would make the call when the time was right and not let it go too long like I've seen others do. We knew the day was coming for a while. I woke up Friday morning and I quickly figured out that the day had come.

Willie Dog - the best dog I've ever owned!

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                                X