Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Arrow launched big axis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lighted nock would really help if the grass weren't 4 feet tall. Ranch backs up to the Cibolo creek. I really think he circled back behind me and went into the cedar thickets along the creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

10-4, well again. If you need any help lookin' feel free to ping me. I'm right down the road in Fair Oaks and would be happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I still hope you find him. Even if it is tomorrow. Go for a confidence builder and get some easy shots in then get back out there! Don't give up on the trad equipment yet. I only have 1 pig with my long bow and that was a rush. Enough to keep me going after 2 deer ducking the arrow clean.

Comment

Speck if I was home in Boerne I would offer to bing my Lacy out but I am 40 miles from Mexico in the blind. Use your nose and your dog and go down wind and make passes sideways to the wind and work your way back to the feeder from 300 yards out or so.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

I hope you find it tomorrow. I know what it feels like to lose one. Did you find the arrow this evening with that lighted nock?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in Boerne too, if you need help looking for him tomorrow.

Comment

Was a dog not an option?
                  I know we said that already but a good dog is invaluable. 300 yards in a grid may not be far enough. If he bled at all a dog would have drastically improved your odds of recovery.
                  I realize sometimes the size of the property can eliminate a dog as an option.
                  Good luck though, maybe the buzzards will find him for you, or better yet he makes it. Happens to everyone, myself included. I broke an arrow off in a really nice buck last season, would have been a dandy with traditional gear. Went through the whole depression cycle and ended up seeing him again soon after.

Comment

He showed back up one week to the day. GOOD LUCK MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      I'm in Boerne too, if you need help looking for him tomorrow.
                      Thanks for all the offers to help. I just got back from looking for the last couple hours. No birds anywhere to be seen. We covered it pretty good again. I have convinced myself that the shot had to have been high shoulder and non fatal. I really thought it was good at the time. Gonna have to let it rest a week before trying to hunt again. Never found my arrow either. I have to believe there is a lot of luck involved with this. There is no accurate way to determine what the animal will do once you release the arrow. Last week I held at the elbow and he ducked it. I aimed 4 inches below the axis and you guys saw the video. I may go back to the longbow as it seems quieter than the recurve. No wonder the Indians preferred to shoot buffalo. They are too big to duck! Mike

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Mike! I was pulling for you!

Bisch

Comment

Hate to read about the outcome. Yeah, axis seem to be a lot tougher then our Whitetail, but not indestructible. Keep positive, keep shooting. If it wasn't hard on you, it would say worse about your character. Most of us have been there, and completely understand how your feeling. God Bless You.

Comment

Sorry to hear, Mike. Hopefully you'll get another chance at him in the near future.

Comment

Stuck one 3 years ago with my bow and lost him. He was in full velvet, I still get sick to this day thinking about him. I found his skull not too long ago, about 600 yards away from where I shot him.

Comment

Working...
                              X