• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    What scope do you shoot with?

Buy an extra scope, not a scanner
    Wraith 4K ir so no help there.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
      Pushbutton2, yes I have. They don't have a review of the scope I'm interested in. Here's my dilemma. I know I would be happy with the rattler ts384 BUT as little as I'll use it it's hard to look past the new ts19 256. I don't hunt wide open places like some of you. All my hunting is done in East Texas where most take place overlooking at clearing of maybe 150 yds most of the time. With most shots being inside a 100 yards to a feeder. Im just unsure what I'm giving up going the cheaper route.
      Yes sir
      I hunt similarly to you. Several years ago I found a used RXQ30V it does good for me when I stay within 80-100 yds. Outside that its tolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        Wraith 4K ir so no help there.
        So(in trying to help), I would ask why spend more money on a scanner then what your gonna shoot with?

Save money, sell those and get into the 2600-3500 thermal range. You won't regret it

ask me how I know. So many buddies have done it after I took them out

Comment

So(in trying to help), I would ask why spend more money on a scanner then what your gonna shoot with?

Save money, sell those and get into the 2600-3500 thermal range. You won't regret it

I scan with the pulsar helion 2 xp50 pro then use a red light to shoot em

…It keeps weapon weight down and for now I’m not a fan of shooting at a digital image
          Last edited by RedYote; 03-09-2022, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Looking at the Rattler 35

The thinking is you use the scanner 10x more then the scope. The wreith with the sniper hog light 66 is good out to 250 to 300 yrds or more. My scanner is only good out to 75yrds to ID. You got me thinking though. I might end up getting 2 rattlers and use one to scan with.

Comment

Originally posted by RedYote View Post
              I scan with the pulsar helion 2 xp50 pro then use a red light to shoot em

…It keeps weapon weight down and for now I’m not a fan of shooting at a digital image
              Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
              Looking at the Rattler 35

The thinking is you use the scanner 10x more then the scope. The wreith with the sniper hog light 66 is good out to 250 to 300 yrds or more. My scanner is only good out to 75yrds to ID. You got me thinking though. I might end up getting 2 rattlers and use one to scan with.

I been doing this a long time and killed alot of pigs.

You don't kill pigs scanning, you kill them stalking up shooting. So I want a nicer scope.

I just got my Halo X50 at an unbelievable price. Shooting with a red light is absurd to me haha.

No chance you can kill many pigs that way on a running group. been there done that lol. We have got up to 14 pigs out of a group before with 2-3 shooters.

I scan, takes 10 seconds to pop my scope on my gun and it hold a 0.

Comment

I been doing this a long time and killed alot of pigs.

You don't kill pigs scanning, you kill them stalking up shooting. So I want a nicer scope.

I just got my Halo X50 at an unbelievable price. Shooting with a red light is absurd to me haha.

No chance you can kill many pigs that way on a running group. been there done that lol. We have got up to 14 pigs out of a group before with 2-3 shooters.

I scan, takes 10 seconds to pop my scope on my gun and it hold a 0.
                Not being a smart arse because I don't really know. What can you do with your scope that the rattler 384 can't? I would assume one could do the same with less clarity but far from horrible.

Comment

Not being a smart arse because I don't really know. What can you do with your scope that the rattler 384 can't? I would assume one could do the same with less clarity but far from horrible.
                  Mount it on gun and shoot pigs, ha. Im assuming his point is that a thermal scope with a QD mount you can scan with it, then snap it on to place to shoot. And its a spare thermal scope to loan someone or if you need it for something. I get that. But Im in the other camp as well. I like a small handheld monocular. Easier to use and scan than a scope thats 2-3x the size. I also use it when deer hunting and at work when people hunting. Everyone's needs vary

Comment

For the average hunter you wont kill more hogs with a 384 than a 640 unit. Obviously the 640 will make the experience better due to the better image but for a good majority of the thermal hunters out there a 384 unit will be just as effective as a 640. Are there some guys out there that have access to thousands of acres and time is their limiting factor? Sure and a 640 unit is the right choice for those guys because they can better identify a hog vs a calf at 600+ yards and these guys wouldnt have waisted an hour trying to stalk up on the animal only to find out it was a cow.

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                    Mount it on gun and shoot pigs, ha. Im assuming his point is that a thermal scope with a QD mount you can scan with it, then snap it on to place to shoot. And its a spare thermal scope to loan someone or if you need it for something. I get that. But Im in the other camp as well. I like a small handheld monocular. Easier to use and scan than a scope thats 2-3x the size. I also use it when deer hunting and at work when people hunting. Everyone's needs vary
                    I am pretty sure the Rattler he is talking about is a gun mounted optic, not just a handheld. I love having a handheld as you mentioned and wouldnt give it up for the world.

Comment

See alot farther, detect alot farther, onboard battery/recording(not sure if yours can or not? On those sub-par nights and in the summer, I don't waste time driving/walking to those animals I can't quite tell what they are as you would with a cheaper 384 unit

I also have a Rico Mk1 384 unit(not sure how much longer), that is very comparable to a 640 unit. I do not scan with it, as it is 4x. But I occasionally use it to ID animals at long range my Reap couldn't

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                      For the average hunter you wont kill more hogs with a 384 than a 640 unit. Obviously the 640 will make the experience better due to the better image but for a good majority of the thermal hunters out there a 384 unit will be just as effective as a 640. Are there some guys out there that have access to thousands of acres and time is their limiting factor? Sure and a 640 unit is the right choice for those guys because they can better identify a hog vs a calf at 600+ yards and these guys wouldnt have waisted an hour trying to stalk up on the animal only to find out it was a cow. .
                      Very good answer. I do it almost every weekend and have 1000's of acres to access/scan so a 640 unit is a no brainer for me.

I am pretty pumped to try my new Halo x50 and for $6300 out the door it was too hard to pass up.

Comment

Thanks Jason I value your opinion. I ordered my wraith from y'all and your company is first class. Looks like when its time to pull the trigger I'll be headed your way again.
                        Thank you very much! I appreciate the kind words.

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                        What's the ETA looking like for the talion xq38 Scopes?
                        They haven't updated the ETA since SHOT and they said then it was expected late March or April. So hopefully we'll see them soon but usually the way it works is, they just randomly show up with little to no warning. I expect the quantities to be small and several weeks between shipments for the first couple months. I could be wrong but that's generally the way the Pulsar roll outs work. They are supplying all of Europe, New Zealand and Australia too so they have to split up the shipments between all the markets.

Jason

Comment

Thanks guys for the info, when I do get one I plan on scanning with it then shooting with it as well. I know it's not ideal but as little as I'll use it I should be fine for the time being

Comment

Just picked up a used Pulsar Apex sq38. Does anyone have a recommendation on a long lasting rechargeable Cr123a battery ? I’m not a fan of external battery packs as I move a lot and it’s just more to deal with.

Comment

What do y'all think of the ATN Thor as a starter thermal? My buddy has the very first one they came out with and he's had good luck with it.

Comment

First time hunting with the Wraith 2x. I like the scope, but would like to upgrade the illuminator. Any suggestions?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X