Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
    300wm

Only thing is it costs more. I do like the 270 as a great all around

Sorry , 300 mag is not close on available loading or rifles chambered in it. It is a good round though.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
      Sorry , 300 mag is not close on available loading or rifles chambered in it. It is a good round though.
      I’m not sure that’s true. The ole Midway ammo search has more hits on 300 win mag than either 270 or 30-06. For whatever definition of popular you set, you aren’t gaining any benefits beyond 300wm

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
        I’m not sure that’s true. The ole Midway ammo search has more hits on 300 win mag than either 270 or 30-06. For whatever definition of popular you set, you aren’t gaining any benefits beyond 300wm
        Just looked, midway has 126 loads for 3006 and 88 for 300 win mag, so not sure what you are meaning, but looks like there are more loads for 3006 to me

Comment

And not scientific but buds list 465 guns in 3006 and 389 in 300 mag. What about left handed guns, I know they are way more common in 3006 than 300 mag. Action types you say?, bolt, lever, auto, single shot and pump in 3006, you can get several of those in 300 mag, but not all, and models are reduced considerably

Comment

Name a gun provably more effective at killing at normal hunting ranges than a 3006/270
            I'll give you equally effective... though the .270 does have a lot of sub-par performance documented. I'll also say that many of the equally effective calibers are more fun to shoot and put deer and other game down with far less recoil than the .30-06, which was design with an expectation of 1,000 yard shots, as I'm sure you know.

Name a cartridge chambered in more factory rifles than a 3006, other than the 308
            Only the .30-06 and "other than the .308" now?
            While the .30-06 may be the most common North American medium and large game hunting caliber due to it's 100(+) year legacy, other calibers are taking market share and you certainly won't have trouble finding the rifle you want chambered in other, more modern calibers such as the .308 or 7mm-08.

Name a cartridge factory loaded with a more diverse array of bullets than a 3006
            The .243 Winchester is loaded with a wider variety of factory bullets than the .30-06. I'll point out that, like most of your "advantages," the variety of selection of factory loadings for a single caliber is not something I or most consider in choosing a caliber. I want the best tool for the job and find the best single load for it. I could care less if there are eight or three hundred other available loads. If I find one that does the job, which you invariably can... how does this matter?

[QUOTE=RJH1;13208226]Name a hunting cartridge that can be found at more places world wide than a 3006]/quote]
            The 7.62x51 can. The 7x57 probably can.

These may be the things that are important to you, but the fact that I can buy a rifle I'm not interested in that kicks like a mule when it doesn't need to and takes ammo I can buy at a corner store in Idaho matters ZERO to me when choosing a firearm. There are a bunch of reasons to buy other calibers, which is why I own neither a .270 nor a .30-06... since there are available calibers that do pretty much every job I want better than either.

Comment

According to a dec 2015, article (newest I saw) had 3006 six ammo at #3 on a list of ammo sold, with 270 at 5 and 300 mag at 7. Only the nato rounds were ahead of the 06

Comment

If I could only own one rifle it would be a 270.

Comment

[quote=meltingfeather;13208530]I'll give you equally effective... though the .270 does have a lot of sub-par performance documented. I'll also say that many of the equally effective calibers are more fun to shoot and put deer and other game down with far less recoil than the .30-06, which was design with an expectation of 1,000 yard shots, as I'm sure you know.

Only the .30-06 and "other than the .308" now?
                  While the .30-06 may be the most common North American medium and large game hunting caliber due to it's 100(+) year legacy, other calibers are taking market share and you certainly won't have trouble finding the rifle you want chambered in other, more modern calibers such as the .308 or 7mm-08.

The .243 Winchester is loaded with a wider variety of factory bullets than the .30-06. I'll point out that, like most of your "advantages," the variety of selection of factory loadings for a single caliber is not something I or most consider in choosing a caliber. I want the best tool for the job and find the best single load for it. I could care less if there are eight or three hundred other available loads. If I find one that does the job, which you invariably can... how does this matter?

Name a hunting cartridge that can be found at more places world wide than a 3006]/quote]
                  The 7.62x51 can. The 7x57 probably can.

These may be the things that are important to you, but the fact that I can buy a rifle I'm not interested in that kicks like a mule when it doesn't need to and takes ammo I can buy at a corner store in Idaho matters ZERO to me when choosing a firearm. There are a bunch of reasons to buy other calibers, which is why I own neither a .270 nor a .30-06... since there are available calibers that do pretty much every job I want better than either.

That quoted funny so that is why it is in italics

Yes on the 308 cause it is the one round that I could think of loaded in more action types than the 06, and it was to easy to call

IDK how the 243 has a wider variety of ammo loaded for hunting, it goes from a mediocre varmint gun to a mediocre deer rifle. The 06 goes from a half *** varmint gun to an excellent deer-moose rifle, African plains game included.

I get that you may not be looking for a do-all rifle, but that is in line with what the OP asked about and the 3006 still does the do-all rifle better than anything else, and if it kicks too much, there is even reduced recoil loads for you
                  Last edited by RJH1; 02-23-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    it has more hits because the ammo is harder to find,,, no other reason

Comment

243 has a paltry 59 loads at midway

Comment

Yeah, but even with todays pills, the 243 can't be compared to the better rounds of the 308 parent case offerings...getting down to 24 cal is stretching it.

The smallest of the 06 is a 25-06 & I would be at least fairly confident using it for elk with a heavy solid / bonded, as I would with a 7-08, 308 & 358 winchester.

Ive never been a person to be overly concerned with ammo availability for the goofy rounds I shoot & we are really talking about the diversity. Not trying to offend but it's pretty well known I'm not a big fan of the 6mm bore for big game. Just my opinion so be kind.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          it has more hits because the ammo is harder to find,,, no other reason
                          *Scratches head*... um, okay...

The point I made was that whatever benefit you think you get from popularity, like the old "forgot your ammo on a travel hunt" or "need to find a factory chambering in it", the cartridge that is, as you say, #7 on the most popular of all list is going to have everything you need, and that you can stop optimizing for popularity at that point. Your increased marginal utility is pretty slim.

I don't own a 300wm and I do own a 270 and have a lot of trigger time behind a 30-06. They're all fine cartridges and very very popular.

Comment

I am just glad we are arguing 3006s and 270s like men, in stead of 223/300bo/6.5creed/243. And I will say that even Elmer Keith liked a 270, said it was a great Coyote rifle. Haha. 270s are dang good guns too, second best, but still nice :-)
                            Didn't Keith like the 7x57 more? Hunted all they way to Africa with it?

And I despise both the 270 and the .06. Why? Cause of threads like this and everyone has one. The whole "can find ammo anywhere " argument is dumb. In my truck now is 223,300 bo,7x57.9mm,22lr and a box of 12ga

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

And I despise both the 270 and the .06. Why? Cause of threads like this and everyone has one. The whole "can find ammo anywhere " argument is dumb. In my truck now is 223,300 bo,7x57.9mm,22lr and a box of 12ga

It is dumb till you cant find ammo, then you are dumb :-) Just joking bro, relax. Not sure if Keith liked the 7X57, if so it would go against his grain. He might have liked the 8 mauser more, I could see that for sure. I know Bell killed a bunch of elephants with the 7 mauser.

The reason there are threads like this is that everyone wants to justify their purchase of a rifle, the problem is that if they are looking for an all around rifle the 06 is pretty much unbeatable. You even allude to the fact that the reason that you don't like the 06 is emotionally based. I listed several things that the 06 has going for it that no other cartridge really does and when those things are added up the 06 continually comes out on top. What people fail to see though, is I am not trying to convince anyone that they should buy one for what they do. If I was never leaving Texas I would have a 308 and be done, but the 06 carries enough extra umph for me to prefer it with larger game, but it still don't beat me up.

I just put out the findable facts and answered the OPs question. People can buy what they want. Have a good one
                              Last edited by RJH1; 02-24-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

My 270 can whip your Creedmore’s butt!!

Comment

Working...
                                X