Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say an artical that said a 30-06 loaded with a high BC bullet has equal trajectory to a 300wm with a traditional bullet. My handloaded 26” 06 with a 168amax does 3k. Nothing other than African dangerous game will walk away with one well placed. My 270 loaded with a high BC bullet has equal ballistics(not energy) of a 6.5creed any 6mm 338L. To many any well loaded 270 or 30-06 will take care of anything when loaded right. But to me 270 wins in Texas. But if I was close range in bear country I think a 200gr plus 06 would get the nod. Although if you watch the Alaskan shows they hunt bear with a 223. I guess they think 30 small holes better than 1 big hole.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
      10 twist. the 55 are Sabot rounds, the 220 are round nose and are no longer than many 180 bottails. People been shooting those rounds out of 3006s for many many years. That is why the 3006 wins. (the sabot rounds are not terribly accurate though and 110s are better for varmints)
      Gave my dad some 55 and the next year he shot a deer with it. Looked like he put a small bomb in it. Bits of bone from head to tail.
      Bought 3 boxes here a couple of months back for cheep.....

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
        Gave my dad some 55 and the next year he shot a deer with it. Looked like he put a small bomb in it. Bits of bone from head to tail.
        Bought 3 boxes here a couple of months back for cheep.....
        Sorry to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          Caliber cartridge clip magazine. What difference does it matter we knew what the dude was talking about. You do know y’all isn’t an actual official word right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Exactly...

Comment

Y'all is in the dictionary. But y'all knew what he meant by it anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              I'm the other way around. 270 yes, 30-06 no. Your shoulder pays for the inefficient design every time you pull the trigger.

270 is a phenomenal "do it all". It's hard to imagine having to pick only one cartridge though.
              please explain, "inefficient design" every time you pull the trigger,,,,, i need to hear the explanation

i have had both and prefer the 30-06,,, but my go to is a 45-70,,,,
              Last edited by xman59; 02-19-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

25-06
                6.5-06
                30-06
                338-06
                35 Whelen

These all use the same parent...with today's solid expanding bullets along with bonded, the argument between 270 & 30-06 is silly. Especially when the 280ai is best.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by k-town View Post
                  READ "O'CONNOR'S THOUGHTS ON 270 V/S 30-06 . You have the best choice already. Don't over think it partner ...
                  READ ... GUESS way before you guys time

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    Especially when the 280ai is best.

Carry on.
                    Dangit! You had to go and add a another caliber......

And yes, the best one

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                      Rifle "shells" is the one that always confuses me
                      Blasphemy! You are in Texas! It dam sure is a word.

Comment

If I had to choose one caliber for all of North America, it would be the .338 win mag.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                          It's funny you say this because I have both in a Remington 700 and the 270 kicks a lot harder than the 30 06, don't know why. I can shoot the 270 5 times and have a nice bruise and the 06 doesn't do anything.
                          A friend had a Rem 700 .270 that kicked very hard, even with bull barrel and good limb saver that rifle left several purple eyes, we called it "el bravo" my Browning X bolt 30-06 was easier on the shoulder than the .270

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                            please explain, "inefficient design" every time you pull the trigger,,,,, i need to hear the explanation

i have had both and prefer the 30-06,,, but my go to is a 45-70,,,,
                            Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            And yes, the best one
                            It is a good example. The 280AI has substantially lower recoil, overtakes the 30-06 in downrange energy at 200 yds and doesn't look back.

Comment

So am I limited to one of these two calibers for the “best option for any hunting scenario”?

If I could only have one gun I believe it would be a 300wm. Put a brake on it and get after it.

Of course I don’t have to choose just one caliber so I don’t own a 300wm, a 270 or a 30-06.

Comment

Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                                So am I limited to one of these two calibers for the “best option for any hunting scenario”?

If I could only have one gun I believe it would be a 300wm. Put a brake on it and get after it.

Of course I don’t have to choose just one caliber so I don’t own a 300wm, a 270 or a 30-06.

I have a 300WM that kicks less than a 270 all day. Heck you can even shoot it with one hand. I would rather run 100 rounds through my .300 Win mag than any of my bolt action guns besides my 22/250.

Last edited by Black Ice; 02-20-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X