Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    My 270 can whip your Creedmore’s butt!!
    Oh yeah?!!! Well I once killed a buffalo with a hickory bow!! From 1000 yards ya know!!!!

And I think saw my bobber move.....

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
      I get that you may not be looking for a do-all rifle, but that is in line with what the OP asked about
      It’s not what he asked about. Read the OP. He said he knows they are “do all” rifles, but asked if there was any specific hunting scenario where either chambering is the preferred/best for the application. I’d say no, because neither is superior to other offerings for any specific application. There is nothing a .270 or .30-06 can do that another chambering can’t do equally well if not better.

Comment

[QUOTE=meltingfeather;13209871I’d say no, because neither is superior to other offerings for any specific application. There is nothing a .270 or .30-06 can do that another chambering can’t do equally well if not better.[/QUOTE]

This seems subjective, I listed several things that make the 06 a best for many scenarios type hunting rifle. And the best you reasoning you came up with was to agree with me on most of the points and then say a 243 has more available wider variety of loadings, which is provably false. I get that you don't like the 06, and am fine with that, and yes there are chamberings that can do equally in some cases, but overall, no chambering is as versatile. List one chambering that can match the 3006 on the points I listed, the 308 is close but lacks a little power in the heavier bullet weights, all other cartridges fall short in the overall. I am not trying to convert you, either, shoot what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          My 270 can whip your Creedmore’s butt!!
          Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Oh yeah?!!! Well I once killed a buffalo with a hickory bow!! From 1000 yards ya know!!!!

And I think saw my bobber move.....
          I like the way yall are think-n!

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            but overall, no chambering is as versatile.
            You keep answering the same question... which is not one the OP asked.
            I'm not going to pull your string again.
            I like the '06 perfectly well... in the .25 caliber variety.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
              You keep answering the same question... which is not one the OP asked.
              I'm not going to pull your string again.
              I like the '06 perfectly well... in the .25 caliber variety.
              Ha, by quoting me you pulled string :-)

The OP said when would you recommend a 270 or 3006 over another caliber for a hunt, so how about this for an answer?

Anytime you might be on a hunt where deer/elk/moose is possible or in Africa where animals may range from small to pretty big and you would like a single gun with plenty of power but also one that wouldn't beat you up like a magnum.

PS everyone knows that a 2506 is a barrel burning piece of junk, you need a 6.5 creed. Haha

Comment

It's true. And the OP was correct: "It seems like they are decent at everything but not the BEST option for any specific situation." It's true for guns, like it's true for everything else. There's *always* a specialty tool that is better for each specialized task.

Comment

The funniest part of this whole discussion is that once a round has enough power to kill what you are trying to kill cleanly, everything after that is really personal preference. Assuming enough power, no cartridge has any mystical abilities (sorry Creedmoor fans). But everybody wants to make themselves feel good about the cartridge they picked and with the birth of the internet, here we are :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X