Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Which Lever gun/ caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coop View Post
    Sold mine back in 1985. Just one of the worst mistakes I've ever made.

I have a 44 and a 30-30 and both will do the job well. The 30-30 will give you a little more range if you ever need it but other than that they're both great.

I have Marlins and Henrys. Can't say one is that much better than the other but the Henrys action is a little smoother.

Just my 2 cent.

JC
    Everyone that I have talked to that has owned a .444 and sold it has regretted selling it.

I am wanting one for the Iowa gun season. Iowa amended their shotgun season this year to include certain straight wall cartridges. The logical choice would be to go with a .45-70....it is easy to find a rifle as well as ammo. Most hunters that opted to use a straight wall rifle cartridge were using .45-70s or .450 Bushmasters. The .450 Bushmasters were impressive in range, accuracy and knockdown power on big Midwestern whitetails this past season.

I am also looking for a .357 Maximum barrel for my Contender.

The following center-fire cartridges may be used, along with others not identified in this list that meet the straight-walled cartridge criteria
    in the next section below: .357 Magnum, .357
    Maximum, .375 Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W,
    .401 Powermag, 10 mm Auto, .41 Remington
    Magnum, .41 Action Express, .44 S&W Special,
    .44 Remington Magnum, .44 Automag, .444
    Marlin, .445 Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45
    Super Mag, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette,
    .450 Bushmaster, .451 Detonics, .454
    Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W
    Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh,
    .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh,
    .50 Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.

I have a desire for a .444 Marlin. I shot one about 20 years ago. The gentleman that owned the rifle had killed deer, elk and bear with it. I was impressed with its accuracy and power...dang sure felt powerful when it goes boom.

I would like to find an XLR like this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marlin .444 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	24525707

Comment

Hard to beat the ole .444 marlin in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Arrowsmith;13059831]Everyone that I have talked to that has owned a .444 and sold it has regretted selling it.

i must be the exception to that one,, i never regretted selling my 444 marlin, i went from it to the 45-70,,, that one will never be a regret!,, 444 was the only cartridge i have ever shot that brought tears to my eyes,,,

Comment

[quote=xman59;13060015]
          Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
          Everyone that I have talked to that has owned a .444 and sold it has regretted selling it.

i must be the exception to that one,, i never regretted selling my 444 marlin, i went from it to the 45-70,,, that one will never be a regret!,, 444 was the only cartridge i have ever shot that brought tears to my eyes,,,
          amen, bro, amen.

Comment

Had a Winchester Trapper 16" in 44 Mag that I should not have sold. I do like my little Ruger 44 Carbine paired with my Super Blackhawk.

Comment

Marlin 1895 GUIDE GUN in 45-70,stainless with laminated stock.

Comment

Henry makes a great 41 mag also in the Big Boy Steel. Pairs nicely with my Ruger 41 mag bisley.
                Have an older winchester 44 mag and it has taken a few hogs as well.

Comment

Working...
                X