• Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 "

Comment

20”

Comment

Originally posted by eyedoc View Post
        If I go .44 mag in Henry, 16.5 or 20 inch barrel?
        I have a Rossi 44mag model 92. It would be a great tracking gun and probably would use it for that if I did more tracking. It's a 16" barrel and it is quick to throw up and swing. Real easy feel while carrying through the woods. I don't think a 20" would be better than the 16" for tracking but I have never toted a 20"

Comment

I have a Henry in .357 that works perty darn good!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	15023029842741469506774001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	24525682
          Small, easy to handle little gun.

I run 140 gr Hornady Leverevolution through it and my Marlin 30-30.
          Both work well.

Comment

Leaning .44 mag, 20 inch. Henry Big Boy Steel or new Remington marlin 1894?

Comment

Leaning .44 mag, 20 inch. Henry Big Boy Steel or new Remington marlin 1894?
              The current Marlins are made by Remington. They are complete junk. Don’t buy a Marlin made after 2006 or so. If you are buying new, the only choice is a Henry.

Comment

That’s what I need to know. Thanks.

Comment

Savage 308, lever action, model 99f, i think. Saw one on a elk hunt nice set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                    I am looking for a .444 if anyone wants to part with one.
                    Sold mine back in 1985. Just one of the worst mistakes I've ever made.

I have a 44 and a 30-30 and both will do the job well. The 30-30 will give you a little more range if you ever need it but other than that they're both great.

I have Marlins and Henrys. Can't say one is that much better than the other but the Henrys action is a little smoother.

Just my 2 cent.

JC

Comment

All my Marlins are 60s and 70s. Great rifles.

I use a pump 12 ga for tracking. Not saying it's the best, just my choice.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Henry 44, 20".

Comment

I just bought a Henry in .44 killed a 200+ ln hod with it Friday . Lots of fun to shoot. Ammo is the only problem . Have with it . Very expensive to shoot . At $50.00 a bos .
                        Looking in to reloading.

Comment

Originally posted by MRW1981 View Post
                          Go with the .44 if you are using it with your dog. A 3030 is much more likely to pass through game where a .44 with hollow points usually will not. I have shot hundreds of hogs with a .44 and have never had a pass through. I did have one go through a young doe I was trailing once but I shot her high in the shoulder.
                          I haven't done such activities, but I talked to some old time hog hunters here and there. They carry 357 for the most part, a couple said 22 mag to shoot em in the earhole. I asked why not 44 mag? Pass thru's, didn't want to kill their dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                            I haven't done such activities, but I talked to some old time hog hunters here and there. They carry 357 for the most part, a couple said 22 mag to shoot em in the earhole. I asked why not 44 mag? Pass thru's, didn't want to kill their dogs.
                            We used to use 357 a lot but they are just so loud. Not that a .44 isn't, it doesn't seem as bad though. From experience I don't care for a 22 cause when you got a bad hog in thick white brush the ear hole shot may not line out and shooting a hog anywhere else with. 22 is going to take more than one shot and will also ricochet off a hogs skull. Not saying a 44 won't go through a hog but in my experience using good hollow points I have never had that problem.

Comment

If I go .44 mag in Henry, 16.5 or 20 inch barrel?

If you are using it for tracking and or hog trailing I’d go Henry in 16.5”.

You will gain little to nothing with the extra barrel length and the shorter barrel will be handier and quicker pointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MRW1981 View Post
                                I usually try to buy the Winchester silver tipped hollow points.i don't remember what grain. Most times when a dog has a hog bayed up you are shooting downward toward it so maybe it ads a little space for the bullet to travel? I usually will try to shoot them in the ear. My grandfather had hog dogs my whole life and I started hunting with him at a young age. When I finally got old enough to carry the rifle to go into kill the hog( or maybe my grandpa started getting to old to) he told me "If a hog charges you stand your ground and shoot him. You're shooting a .44, you're either going to kill him or change his direction. Just make sure you hit him and not a dog!" That advice has not failed me yet lol.

Thinking back on it I may have had some pass throughs on a couple of deer I've had bayed up. I can for sure remember one but there may have been more. I can honesty say I have never had a .44 go through a hog while shooting them in the head or shoulder. Of course I'm not talking about pigs but actual 100+lb hogs.
                                Makes sense. I take broadside shots typically. However, a 300 grain solid will travel the full length of a hog... ask me how I know haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X